About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Politics: Left, Right, and Center
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Politics: Left, Right, and Center National, state, regional, and local politics. Who's doing what to whom, and what you can do about it. How-to-get-action messages are encouraged. "How the government fucked up my life" stories are encouraged. Sharing new methods for cheating on taxes is encouraged. Sample "letters to congresscritters" are encouraged. Apathy and "I can't do anything" posts are discouraged. Left, right, centrist, or any other form of political-economic systems are all up for discussion. Be prepared to defend yourself, or at least have a good line of bullshit ready. Extensive quoting of economists and philosophers is frowned upon. We want to hear what YOU have to say, not what some constipated, impotent, dead guy dreamt up while suffering from the DT's over a hundred years ago thought.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-02-19, 23:19
Regular
 
Default The Patriot Act

http://www.totse.com/en/politics/police/landofthewatch191213.html

Can I have sources on the information listed here?
 #2 
Old 2006-02-20, 00:07
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

The Patriot Act is cool because it makes liberals piss their pants.
 #3 
Old 2006-02-20, 07:38
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

[URL=http: //www.epic .org/priva cy/terrori sm/hr3162. html]http: //www.epic .org/priva cy/terrorism/hr3162.html[/URL]


Read it. I did. It has a LOT of little work ins that SHOULD NOT BE IN THERE.

ive also read what acts they edit :?

[This message has been edited by bushy (edited 02-20-2006).]
 #4 
Old 2006-02-20, 20:01
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:
The Patriot Act is cool because it makes liberals piss their pants.


 #5 
Old 2006-02-20, 21:39
Regular
 
.:six degrees of synesthesia:.
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Buttthrax, you are such an a-hole sometimes.

Makes for good times.
 #6 
Old 2006-02-20, 21:46
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

When you're sucking buttthrax's dick do you let him cum in your mouth? Or did you make him pull out... just curious.
 #7 
Old 2006-02-20, 21:59
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

You're a sick bastard.
 #8 
Old 2006-02-20, 22:07
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

And you're a repressive, ignorant, fool, worshiping of tyranny as long as it doesn't hurt him... I'd rather be a sick bastard.

[This message has been edited by Fascistsmasher (edited 02-20-2006).]
 #9 
Old 2006-02-20, 22:20
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fascistsmasher:
And you're a repressive, ignorant, fool, worshiping of tyranny as long as it doesn't hurt him... I'd rather be a sick bastard.




 #10 
Old 2006-02-20, 23:47
Hacker Hacker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

http:/ /video.goo gle.com/vi deoplay?do cid=-64954 6276160534 1661&q=Mar tial+Law
 #11 
Old 2006-02-22, 06:01
Spam Man Sam Spam Man Sam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Right-restricting acts such as the Patriot act are not original or confined to America. In Canada we have the war measures act, in which the government can revoke and envoke whatever it pleases. It was most notabley used during the FLQ October crisis of 1970.

We also have Section 33 of our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms which allows the government to pass legislation which contradicts the essential liberties laid out in the CCRF.
 #12 
Old 2006-02-24, 05:24
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Look, would you rather get blown up by a crazy terrorist or held in a cell for a couple of days? There are minor annoyances that come with being safe. By trying to grab more liberty and trashtalking the Patriot Act, you are paradoxically giving up liberty by giving terrorsists power.
 #13 
Old 2006-02-24, 06:26
Sgt. Lag Sgt. Lag is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

If I remember correctly, Abe Lincoln did something like this. He basically imprisoned or "shut up" any opposers to the war. During war time, you need to do shit like that.

Since this war on terrorism is seen by many as an illegitamite war (ie how the fuck do you win?), Bush seems to struggle to justify his laws.

Edit: I don't really support or deny the patriot act, for it has its ups and downs. Fuzzball does make a good point. Unless the US government was the one behind the 9/11 attacks. Then it gives us incentive and a pseudo-justification to invade the Middle East, while the entire matter was started by Bush just to get some free oil.

[This message has been edited by Sgt. Lag (edited 02-24-2006).]
 #14 
Old 2006-02-24, 06:43
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Fuzzballs point is completely invalid for once simple reason. The more you rely upon the government for security the more danger the government poses toward you. Certainly the Soviet Union was an incredibly safe place (crime rates were significantly lower than the US, no threat of invasion), the price paid for that safety was violent repression, forced labor and nearly non-existent liberties.

Would you prefer to be safe or free? Certainly the "terrorists" cannot take the freedom from a free (and well armed) person. By allowing the government to curtail our liberties in the name of this "war" you are in effect telling the terrorists that they can fundementally change your society with one simple act... is that what you want?

As for this law and others like it (from the illegal eaves dropping on citizens to the quasi-legal tribunals of citizens and non-citizens... the unknown detention facilities, the torture camps etc), do not fool yourselves... they are not aimed solely at the "terrorists". Of course these are the words of a temporary "enemy combatant" whose only crime was to lead a political party with a handful of over zealous members. My liberties were stripped and at 17 I was held in the local jail for 72 hours without charges, I was subjected to questioning by officials from every level of law enforcement and even after proving that I wasn't out to "Destroy the Union" I was still watch. Four years later and I still watch what I say on this board... look over my shoulder when I go to work. Don't fool yourself, when the government is the only one left to harm you... they will.
 #15 
Old 2006-02-24, 07:13
Sgt. Lag Sgt. Lag is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

When you ask the question, "Would you prefer to be safe or free?" most people would want a balance. Governments were made to organize groups of people, and more relevant to this topic, to provide security in exchange for peoples labor and loyalty. This dates back to Rome and the Han Dyansty.

I wouldn't want to live in a fascistic country, nor an unsafe one, and a balance between the two is essential.

Rarely will a group who wants to overthrow the government succeed enough to get some sort of media on them. Crimes such as conspiracy to overthrow the government can't be taken lightly, even if it's barely unjustifiable.

When you say "Four years later and I still watch what I say on this board..." you would have no problem what you say. Unless they have substantial evidence that you have plans and motives to overthrow the government, they can't sentence you. They might keep you for a few days, but that's better than a life sentence. And if you didn't have a reason to overthrow the government, it shouldn't be a problem of hiding it, because it's not there. Of course the FBI might twist a couple words and come to the false conclusion that you do want to do away with the government, but overall, people getting arrested and sentenced for things like that aren't as high as they were in Soviet Russia.
 #16 
Old 2006-02-24, 15:24
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

The thing about this balance is... safety doesn't inherently increase or decrease with the curtailment of freedom. How are we any safer than on September, 10th 2001? Beyond that, the idea of terrorism that's been installed in people like Fuzzball's mind is completely ridiculous; there is no real threat.
 #17 
Old 2006-02-24, 19:11
Hacker Hacker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttthrax
quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:
The Patriot Act is cool because it makes liberals piss their pants.



Add Arlen Specter and Bob Barr And Lindsey Graham To your list fool.
 #18 
Old 2006-02-24, 21:23
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

While advocating overthrow of the US government is legal in the US... it wouldn't be advised simply because federal agents will harass you and illegally hold you in order to intimidate. While going off for a few days is better than a life sentence, how many have simply gone off and never come back (I can name two whom I knew personally).

The idea of a balance between security and freedom is a ludicrous one in terms of modern liberal democracies. For instance, America was built on the idea of "the less, the better" in terms of government. We didn't have a standing national military, the federal government wasn't allowed to take taxes directly from the citizens and so forth. The point is that the purpose of a government is to provide security, yes, but from foreign incursion... not from boogymen.

Furthermore conscent of the governed requires that the government owes loyalty to us, not the other way around. We give the country loyalty because we are supposed to be the country and its rediculous not to be loyal to ones self. You analysis is valid, but not in terms of American government as it relates to conscent of the governed and civillian government.

quote:
Of course the FBI might twist a couple words and come to the false conclusion that you do want to do away with the government, but overall, people getting arrested and sentenced for things like that aren't as high as they were in Soviet Russia.


Incidents like that should NEVER happen in America. The fact that they do flys in the face of freedom.
 #19 
Old 2006-02-24, 23:47
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Smasher:

You're paranoid if you still look over your shoulder four years after it happened. Also, were those 72 hours so horrible that they've ruined your life? No. Your opinions are biased by personal experience. If you had known people who had died in 9/11, then you would have been oppositley biased. I agree that giving the government power is dangerous, but in times of war, things need to be overlooked. How can we fight terrorists if we can't even control our own population?

Adorkable:

I'm not sure how to convince you that there is a terrorist threat? Maybe 9/11 was a wake-up call? Osama, Saddam, London bombings? Pretty "in-your-face." But, if you would like to live in your little fantasy world, then be my guest until you get killed by a terrorist. Hey, at least that FBI bastard won't have heard your precious phone calls.

Smasher:

If you want to overthrow the US government, then maybe you should be in a cell for longer than 72 hours. "The less, the better" in terms of government sounds like anarchy and therefore sounds like a disturbed liberal. Accidents happen. No country is perfect so saying that something should "never" happen is rarely right. It SHOULD never happen. But that's life. It does.
 #20 
Old 2006-02-25, 13:52
Hacker Hacker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzball3000:
Smasher:

You're paranoid if you still look over your shoulder four years after it happened. Also, were those 72 hours so horrible that they've ruined your life? No. Your opinions are biased by personal experience. If you had known people who had died in 9/11, then you would have been oppositley biased. I agree that giving the government power is dangerous, but in times of war, things need to be overlooked. How can we fight terrorists if we can't even control our own population?

Adorkable:

I'm not sure how to convince you that there is a terrorist threat? Maybe 9/11 was a wake-up call? Osama, Saddam, London bombings? Pretty "in-your-face." But, if you would like to live in your little fantasy world, then be my guest until you get killed by a terrorist. Hey, at least that FBI bastard won't have heard your precious phone calls.

Smasher:

If you want to overthrow the US government, then maybe you should be in a cell for longer than 72 hours. "The less, the better" in terms of government sounds like anarchy and therefore sounds like a disturbed liberal. Accidents happen. No country is perfect so saying that something should "never" happen is rarely right. It SHOULD never happen. But that's life. It does.



People that can not see that political debate in this country is good and that resort to personal attacks amuse me especially when they end up contradicting their own posts.

Criticising the government is not as bad as fuzzball believes it is. But he is fostering the political atmosphere of fear that the Busheviks are trying to create in this country.

He should get in touch with the WH and see about getting on the payroll.

If you are so ok with confinement for no reason fuzzball then when will you state your desire to have Saddam reinstated as head lockup guy in Iraq? I mean gee whizz, the things you atate here could have applied to Iraq when Saddam was in power.

It is the truth - absolutely.

quote:
...were those 72 hours so horrible that they've ruined your life?


So fuzzball is only concerned with acts against freedom that ruin a person's life. What a despicable way to be.

quote:
'm not sure how to convince you that there is a terrorist threat? Maybe 9/11 was a wake-up call? Osama, Saddam,


Fuzzball thinks Saddam had something to do with 911?????
Say it ain't so fuzzball. Or at least post something to show he was involved in what happened on 911. Please.

Maybe that is just fuzzball furthering Bush's propaganda.

quote:
Accidents happen.


Gee whizz - what crap this is from fuzzball. If the government can lock me up for 72 hours, by accident, for no good reason, then they should expect criticism.

*fuck*

 #21 
Old 2006-02-26, 08:19
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Fuzzball you just don't get it do you? This isn't about "fighting terrorism" if it were we would have had the laws a hundred years ago (the anarchist bombings), terrorism is simply a fact of life. Our government uses it as an excuse to curve liberty and ensure their unquestioned power. This is only a time of war because our government made it that way, we could have simply gone in, got bin Laden and systematically dismantled al Queda... we haven't because that is in diametrical opposition to what the government wants. They want a constant war because in that way they are able to coherce the populace into submission.

While you may not see the need to worry, there is one. You see, you are in no danger of terrorist attacks and the reason these laws are in effective have nothing to do with terrorism. The patriot act was an old piece of legislation that the police and intelligence agencys had wanted long before the september 11th attacks. The reason that these laws are dangerous (aside from the fact that many of the post patriot act terrorism laws and rules are undoubtedly unconstitutional) is that once in place they create a more and more powerful government.

As I said the more powerful the government gets... the more you need to worry. This isn't about protecting you, and the fact that you would willingly give up rights for "safety" is disturbing. The reason you need to be afraid is because once the government has squashed external threats (in this case, terrorism) they will begin looking at internal threats. While it is true that an all powerful government would create a very safe nation it also has a rather significant downside. This downside is that once the external threat is gone the government has a lot of power that it has gotten used to and will not readily give up. As a result of this they begin creating internal threats (Stalin's idea, post WWII that Jewish doctors were conspiring to kill leading party officials is an example) to legitimize their power. The more and more repressed the people are the more and more the government then looks for new reasons to lock up or kill people. It eventually gets to the point at which the government is so obsessed with keeping their power that simply questioning them becomes a treasonous offense.

These are the reasons that acts like the Patriot Act and electronic surviellence are so dangerous... because eventually you will become an enemy of the state. Whats particularly disturbing is that this is already happening, don't kid yourself... it's not just the "terrorists" that are being listened in on (look into Echelon, which has been substantiated by whistle blowers) and it's not just the "terrorists" that are being shipped off to our secret camps.

Though perhaps none of this will sink in right now... wait until you see a neighbor or a friend hauled off and never heard from again. Wait until the police helicopters hover over your house nightly... just wait. (If you want more information on my particular experience feel free to ask, though I must tell you I've felt this way about the government since long before the incident. Also, "the less the better" in terms of government wasn't just an ideal that I have, but also one of the founding principles of our government. I dare say that by advocating bigger, more repressive government... you are advocating the destruction of America. Truly you are more of an America hater than even the worst of the "liberals").
 #22 
Old 2006-02-27, 18:49
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzball3000:
[B]Smasher:

Adorkable:

I'm not sure how to convince you that there is a terrorist threat? Maybe 9/11 was a wake-up call? Osama, Saddam, London bombings? Pretty "in-your-face." But, if you would like to live in your little fantasy world, then be my guest until you get killed by a terrorist. Hey, at least that FBI bastard won't have heard your precious phone calls.
[B]


It's a lot tougher to be upset by you, now that you've made it so painfully obvious how simple-minded you are. I hate to sound like the typical anti-establishment 'tard, but perhaps if you exposed yourself to more sources of information and reasoning than the mainstream media, you would be less clueless. (I love how in your little quip, inexplicably, the guy who disagrees with the elimination of liberty is the one who gets killed by a terrorist.)

9/11 has been known by all competant and reasonable observers to have been a hoax, both at the Pentagon and WTC complex. The explanations offered by the government, the 9/11 commission, and those who have sought to perpetuate the "official" story over the so-called "conspiracy theory" are some of the worst fnords in history.

Saddam? He has perpetrated absolutely no terrorism towards Americans. Please explain to me how he has been "in my face", other than the bombardment of images of his dirty, unshaven mug by the nightly news after he was 'caught'.

London bombings? Perhaps you'd care to comment on how, just like on 9/11, the government "just happened" to be carrying out massive simulations of exactly what happened, contracted by a company that specializes in such simulations for law-enforcement training purposes.

Want to learn? Check out google video results for "9/11", "Painful Deceptions", or even "Police State". If you think that Fahrenheit 9/11 is the pinacle of anti-Bush/anti-war documentary, then you've fallen for a poorly constructed instance of controlled opposition, and have sold yourself short.

You are a sheep, and you've traded your wool for a special brand of peace-of-mind that comes not from actual reasoning, but from a custom-brewed crock of delusions, as well as a ticket to the front of the line when they need more cannon fodder.

[This message has been edited by Adorkable (edited 02-27-2006).]
 #23 
Old 2006-02-27, 18:51
suck my dick suck my dick is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

http://www.levitt.tv/
 #24 
Old 2006-02-28, 01:53
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Alright, I resign. I think that for now you guys have succesfully beaten me. Seeing as how I'm just a 13-year-old that watches the news every so often, that's not a big deal. So, kudos. However, if you're interested, here is my dilema.

When I started posting on totse, everything was great. Then my dad banned it and said that everything here was bullshit and that it was just a bunch of "lying liberals trying to decieve me." Then I started secretly posting. That was great too. I would get into arguments, but every time I didn't understand something or someone referenced something that I hadn't heard of, I would be saved by a smarter poster (I do get straight A's though). Now however, that isn't so. I'm on my own in this thread, and I'm outmanned and outgunned. Just my luck. But now here's my real dilema. According to CNN, Fox, my friends, my dad (although he won't talk about this anymore), 51+% of America, and other posters here on totse, I am right. However, your point seems somewhat rational and is not directly addressed by the media. So now I'm trapped because I have no source of information to use with which to argue. I don't want to look like a complete moron (that's why I watch the news), but despite the rationality of your point, why does nobody I know talk about this? Or why isn't it on the news? Or why havn't I heard about it somehow!? George Bush doesn't seem like a bad guy trying to take over America (like you said, it isn't black and white), and his tax cuts have saved us lots of money. So, even if you're right, how am I supposed to express these beliefs in any way without being criticized by everyone and punsihed by my parents? Also, tax cuts affect us, the Patriot Act doesn't, so what to do about that in terms of convincing anyone? Also, if George Bush wanted to haul people away secretly, I think we'd be pretty damn low on his list considering that we voted for him, we like him, we support all of his decisions, and we aren't anarchists. Any advice for my bind?
 #25 
Old 2006-02-28, 02:41
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Hacker:
[URL=http: //video.go ogle.com/v ideoplay?d ocid=-6495 4627616053 41661&q=Ma rtial+Law] http:/ /video.goo gle.com/vi deoplay?do cid=-64954 6276160534 1661&q=Mar tial+Law[/URL]


Oh my god! I just watched that video and I was completely horrified. When I saw the policemen with machine guns and the big blimp and all the evidence about 9/11...I mean like holy shit! So now I'm sort of in a state of shock and I'm just recovering from the effects of seeing all that. I'm not sure getting into arguments about polotics was such a great idea. So, I might decide not to post here again or to just drop this, because I'm really fucking scared now. I practically started crying when I saw that. If this is fake or a joke or something please tell me now because now I'm really in a state of shock.
 #26 
Old 2006-02-28, 03:19
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Alex Jones makes a career out of fiction.
 #27 
Old 2006-02-28, 19:10
cynicaltobefree cynicaltobefree is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

I totally agree with adorkable and fascistsmasher. Hey fuzzball thanks for being honest about your point of view. Buttthrax is a bit right too that Alex Jones' postions may be a bit hyped up, but in effect he is correct in his assumptions. If there were not so much evidence to support his claims he might just be another "nut job" but he's not.
Fuzzball, the reason your family, friends, 51% ete believe the exact opposite is because they have vested (internal) interests in believing the propaganda of the main stream media. Most people cannot interalize the size of this thing and would in fact have the same totally butt puckering fear that you felt realizing it. Sorry dude those of us in the know are sort of fucked for knowing it. Oh well.
 #28 
Old 2006-02-28, 23:58
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by cynicaltobefree:
I totally agree with adorkable and fascistsmasher. Hey fuzzball thanks for being honest about your point of view. Buttthrax is a bit right too that Alex Jones' postions may be a bit hyped up, but in effect he is correct in his assumptions. If there were not so much evidence to support his claims he might just be another "nut job" but he's not.
Fuzzball, the reason your family, friends, 51% ete believe the exact opposite is because they have vested (internal) interests in believing the propaganda of the main stream media. Most people cannot interalize the size of this thing and would in fact have the same totally butt puckering fear that you felt realizing it. Sorry dude those of us in the know are sort of fucked for knowing it. Oh well.



What do you mean "fucked for knowing it"? Knowledge is power! On the other hand, ignorance is bliss!
 #29 
Old 2006-03-01, 18:56
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by buttthrax:
Alex Jones makes a career out of fiction.


Funny... why have I never seen anybody who claims this actually address any of his ideas or theories?

[This message has been edited by Adorkable (edited 03-01-2006).]
 #30 
Old 2006-03-02, 03:17
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Adorkable:
Funny... why have I never seen anybody who claims this actually address any of his ideas or theories?




I don't know, man. I mean, when I first saw that video, I totally fliped. I went like insane about this conspiracy for like a couple of hours. Then I thought about it rationally and realized that he had point, but it was a little bit exagerated. So while he seems to onto something (like a conspiracy at the top-level), and I think he's a cool guy, I think he went too far when he talked about Bush causing 9/11 or working with Kerry. I mean I would concede that Bush wasn't aware enough about security dnagers before 9/11, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he planned it. I also think that there is some sort of insider thing going on, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Bush is actively working with Kerry. But you know, whenever a party (Democrat or Republican) is in power for too long, corruption is bound to occur. So I don't think that it's just Bush that's involved in some dirty deals. If the Democrats had been in power for that long, believe me they would be just as corrupt.
 #31 
Old 2006-03-02, 03:32
TerminatorVinitiatoR TerminatorVinitiatoR is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

hahah, fucken orange armband trotskyists! "no! if you want an interview talk to a spokesperson" fucking drones.

that fat cunt with the jesus poster...is that?...butthrax



[This message has been edited by TerminatorVinitiatoR (edited 03-02-2006).]
 #32 
Old 2006-03-02, 04:02
TerminatorVinitiatoR TerminatorVinitiatoR is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

MOLOCH! fucking WHAT!?
 #33 
Old 2006-03-02, 05:34
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzball3000:
I don't know, man. I mean, when I first saw that video, I totally fliped. I went like insane about this conspiracy for like a couple of hours. Then I thought about it rationally and realized that he had point, but it was a little bit exagerated. So while he seems to onto something (like a conspiracy at the top-level), and I think he's a cool guy, I think he went too far when he talked about Bush causing 9/11 or working with Kerry. I mean I would concede that Bush wasn't aware enough about security dnagers before 9/11, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he planned it. I also think that there is some sort of insider thing going on, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Bush is actively working with Kerry. But you know, whenever a party (Democrat or Republican) is in power for too long, corruption is bound to occur. So I don't think that it's just Bush that's involved in some dirty deals. If the Democrats had been in power for that long, believe me they would be just as corrupt.


Did you watch these? http://tinyurl.com/9e3kp http://tinyurl.com/cu4ra

It was not necessarily that Bush "caused 9/11". He has really caused very little in the past 6 years. Other elements caused 9/11. He is little beyond a figure-head--a very laid back guy who does not mind being a meat-puppet for the people who have granted him a life of great privalege and networking with the more-visible elite. Kerry, born from the same groups as Bush, would have owed these groups the same thing and played the same role--the only thing changed would have been the political diversions and pretexts for what is being done to our nation.



[This message has been edited by Adorkable (edited 03-02-2006).]
 #34 
Old 2006-03-03, 01:40
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Adorkable:
Did you watch these? http://tinyurl.com/9e3kp http://tinyurl.com/cu4ra

It was not necessarily that Bush "caused 9/11". He has really caused very little in the past 6 years. Other elements caused 9/11. He is little beyond a figure-head--a very laid back guy who does not mind being a meat-puppet for the people who have granted him a life of great privalege and networking with the more-visible elite. Kerry, born from the same groups as Bush, would have owed these groups the same thing and played the same role--the only thing changed would have been the political diversions and pretexts for what is being done to our nation.




I watched like the first 8-9 minutes of that. That was enough to get the point. Look, I'm sure that they (the filmmakers) left out some facts. There is a probably a rational explanation for 9/11. Or possibly, Bush can't divulge the information that would explain 9/11 because it is top-secret. It isn't Bush's fault. He was dealt bad cards. It could have happened to any president.
 #35 
Old 2006-03-03, 05:53
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

You really do seem intent on selling yourself short. Look, I could comb over facts with you for days to make sure that you saw how all the puzzle pieces fit, but then you would have experienced no growth yourself. The information is out there--don't let yourself get caught up in the fictitious diversions of "credibility" and information sourcing, because these any issue that would arise from such things is easily checked by a personal standard of responsible consideration and the application of reasoning.

The best way to feed your head is to ask yourself what you believe in or are most likely to believe in, as well as what you take for granted or are most likely to take for granted, and delve into intimate study of the information and ideas that challenge these things. When you become too accustomed to an opinion, idea, or belief, you will inadvertantly become more interested in holding on to it than in what makes the most sense.
 #36 
Old 2006-03-03, 15:13
marvin marvin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Sorry, I'm not going to read this thread. Anyway:

I'm not American, and ran into the Patriot Act for some course I'm taking at university. And I just want to say, that thing is fucking LONG, and I don't believe any of you has read it, so why bother wasting words about something you've never even read?

(Of course maybe there's ONE person who actually read it, but I'm talking about the majority...)
 #37 
Old 2006-03-03, 15:54
kenwih kenwih is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

so long that it was written before 9/11.

so long that nobody read it before they passed it.
 #38 
Old 2006-03-03, 19:24
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

I've read it and the accompanying bills that it amends. Honestly the act itself isn't that oppressive (though some of the provisions are arguably unconstitutional and definately repressive) it's what the law represents that I take issue with.

It's only part of a huge group of offenses including domestic spying, suspension of habeas corpus et al. but the worst part is that this started coming long before september 11th (the Patriot Act was originally written, in the 90's) and terrorism has simply been used as an excuse to erode and destroy the liberties and freedoms of the American people.
 #39 
Old 2006-03-04, 03:00
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Adorkable:

I do see your point. And I did look at a lot of the factoids about 9/11. However, remeber that there is a handicap here. All of the information against Bush is out there. All of his information to defend himself isn't out there because some of it is classified. So you can't draw an inrefutable conclusion without first getting all of the facts.

Fascicst:

I think you proved my point. Or at least sort of. My point is partially that Bush did not come up with this new idea called the Patriot Act. Everyone says it's Bush that made the Patriot Act. But don't blame him if it's been around since the 80's. However, there should not be blame here, merely credit.
 #40 
Old 2006-03-04, 03:28
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Oh hell I wholeheartedly agree that Bush shouldn't be blamed for most of this. It's the establishment and our alleged "representatives" in the house and the senate who are/are controlled by the entrenched power within Washington as well as the money that surrounds it. The real power lies within the hands of the elites who own and run our country. Do not fool yourself, this is no Democracy.

The president is simply a figurehead, sitting at his desk doing what his corporate handlers tell him to. Honestly I think that people give him way to much credit without realizing that most of our problems lie within the dictatorial senators and representatives.
 #41 
Old 2006-03-04, 06:44
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fascistsmasher:
Oh hell I wholeheartedly agree that Bush shouldn't be blamed for most of this. It's the establishment and our alleged "representatives" in the house and the senate who are/are controlled by the entrenched power within Washington as well as the money that surrounds it. The real power lies within the hands of the elites who own and run our country. Do not fool yourself, this is no Democracy.

The president is simply a figurehead, sitting at his desk doing what his corporate handlers tell him to. Honestly I think that people give him way to much credit without realizing that most of our problems lie within the dictatorial senators and representatives.

Fascistsmasher, do you believe that its possible to "vote the bums out" and reform the government or do you think its too late for that?

 #42 
Old 2006-03-05, 00:20
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzball3000:


I do see your point.



Your reply indicates otherwise.
 #43 
Old 2006-03-05, 03:54
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Smasher:

In your theory, who is like at the top of the chain of corrupt people? Or is there a voting system in which all of the rich and corrupt people vote on how to next corrupt the government? Or I have an idea! They have a democracy that votes on how to corrupt America but that democracy is in itslef corrupt. The conspiracy theories never end...

Adorkable:

Not true. I said that I understand your point. Which means that I see what you are saying. That doesn't mean that I agree with you; it merely says that I can respectfully disagree with you as opposed to me thinking "What the fuck is this moron thinking..."
 #44 
Old 2006-03-05, 08:12
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

The "top of the chain" are a handful of very rich and powerful families as well as certain privelleged individuals. These men control the wealth of our nation and therefore direct the actions taken by government (I can explain this in greater depth later if you would like).

Phantom... while reform is still possible it is highly unlikely due to the nature of our government and the influence of money. Simply voting is rather fruitless unless the majority of the people can be made to realize that neither of the two parties represent the true interests of the people. There are steps that can be made to remedy some of the current problems... though they, again, are highly unlikely.

The first of these reforms is strict and unwavering term limits, 4 terms for a US or state rep and 2 terms for a US or state senator. The second is to limit the amount of campaign spending, ban television advertisment among other finance reforms. The third is rather controversial and most unlikely but in my opinion one of the best ideas; No representative who shall be eligible for election is to make more than the average per capita yearly income of the district which they represent, and no Senator who shall be eligible for election is to make more than three times the average per capita yearly income of the state which they represent.

Is it to late for reform... look around and decide yourself, my opinion can be infered from the tone of my posts (excuse the vagueness... you know why its there).
 #45 
Old 2006-03-06, 07:59
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzball3000:

Not true. I said that I understand your point. Which means that I see what you are saying. That doesn't mean that I agree with you; it merely says that I can respectfully disagree with you as opposed to me thinking "What the fuck is this moron thinking..."



The fact that you disagree is not what indicates that you do not get my point. The fact that you have flung out another illogical and unarticulated excuse to excape a rational consideration of all the information available, however, does.
 #46 
Old 2006-03-06, 23:21
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fascistsmasher:
The "top of the chain" are a handful of very rich and powerful families as well as certain privelleged individuals. These men control the wealth of our nation and therefore direct the actions taken by government (I can explain this in greater depth later if you would like).

Phantom... while reform is still possible it is highly unlikely due to the nature of our government and the influence of money. Simply voting is rather fruitless unless the majority of the people can be made to realize that neither of the two parties represent the true interests of the people. There are steps that can be made to remedy some of the current problems... though they, again, are highly unlikely.

The first of these reforms is strict and unwavering term limits, 4 terms for a US or state rep and 2 terms for a US or state senator. The second is to limit the amount of campaign spending, ban television advertisment among other finance reforms. The third is rather controversial and most unlikely but in my opinion one of the best ideas; No representative who shall be eligible for election is to make more than the average per capita yearly income of the district which they represent, and no Senator who shall be eligible for election is to make more than three times the average per capita yearly income of the state which they represent.

Is it to late for reform... look around and decide yourself, my opinion can be infered from the tone of my posts (excuse the vagueness... you know why its there).



As much as you try, you can't change basic laws of nature. The strong rule the weak. In this case, the rich rule the poor. Guess what, that's life. Also, who did you vote for in 2004? Or if you're not old enough to vote, who would you vote for? My guess is you wouldn't vote because no serious polotical canidate agrees with your radical ideas. As a final note to this argument, you can't judge someone's rights to make executive decisions by their personal life.

On another note, hence the angry face, you got me in sooooooooooo much trouble. I was asking my teacher about what you said after class. And she said basically the same things I did about the Patriot Act. Then I told her about your conspiracy theories and politcal views and she got soooooooo pissed. And so she gave me lunch detention and said that I had shown "bad judgement when I even affiliated myself with a website that hosted anyone with those sort of views." (along those lines) Arghhhhhh. SMASHER!!! Well, this is what I get for nosing where I don't belong. And as a final note, ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

EDIT: How's that for unarticulated ?

[This message has been edited by Fuzzball3000 (edited 03-06-2006).]
 #47 
Old 2006-03-07, 10:40
Fascistsmasher Fascistsmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

I appologize that my "radical" ideas and "conspiracy" theories got you into trouble. Though if you want to really get into it I'm probably more well educated than your teacher and therefore a better authority on these matters... remember, no one believed me when I talked about the NSA spying on civillians until Bush acknowledged it. No one believes me about echelon or a lot of things... but they, like cointelpro, will come to light some day.

The strong do rule the weak, but should the rich rule the poor if the rich are only that way because they rode to the top on the backs of the poor? Furthermore that's not how a Democracy should work, as it stands America is an oligarchy, of course some would argue that it was intended to be that way.

Who did I vote for in 2004? I voted for myself actually, as did 500+ others. In terms of local candidates and state candidates as well as my rep. I voted DFL (Minnesotas more radical version of the Democratic party).

I fail to see these "radical ideas" though, while I will admit that I do have some... very few have been expressed within the last few months. In terms of the patriot act, government repression and "terrorism" I am simply taking the line that the FOUNDERS OF OUR COUNTRY would have taken. Where, exactly did I judge someones right to make executive decisions based on personal life? That really doesn't sound like something I would do.

Heh, I guess you teacher would be really pissed off at the University I am going to be teaching at (hopefully my teaching duties will begin next spring... though they may not, depending). I suggest you go do some research on your own, independant of "radicals" and corporate owned media and start looking at thing analytically. Trust me, the world isn't nearly as black and white as the ruling republicans want you to believe. On a further and final note, is your teacher married? I am curious because married women tend to be less well informed and (surprise) more conservative and likely to vote republican. I actually would suggest asking a male social studies teacher about the patriot act... but don't go on spouting anything I've said. Simply ask if he thinks it's a good or bad thing. Of course, the fact that she punished you for seeking out information and varying from what she considers the norm is worrying... why is she so afraid of someone with views that differ from hers?

Honestly I know you're young and have probably been raised by a republican family. I know many of the things said here probably worry you and believing in some of the things people have said probably would shake your very belief system to its core. I do not fault you for sticking to your predetermined beliefs... nay I commend you for coming here and seeking information while defending these beliefs. However, one of the biggest problems in our nation today is the lack of a well-informed citizenry (40 percent of people in the 04' election believed Saddam was tied to 9-11) and I can see within you a lack of quality information.

To just spout off some of the information I currently have easy access to. Did you know that 93 percent of Americans support abortion in at least one case, and 38 percent support it regardless of circumstance. Only 7 percent want to see it make totally illegal... thats a huge shocked to most anti-abortion advocates. Not surprisingly religious fundementalists, those opposed to homosexual sex and those that attend services frequently are all more likely to want abortion banned.

Only ten percent of Americans have a "great deal" of confidence in the press. Overwhelmingly Americans support increasing welfare... but only if it's called assistance to the poor. 75 percent say that too little is spent on healthcare. A fairly substantial amount of people (36 percent) say that marijuana should be legalized. Conversly, 39 percent of Americans believe that the man should work while the woman stays at home. 79 percent of Americans believe that a equally or less qualified man will get a job over a women. 68 percent think special effort should be made by employers to hire women. Ironically 84 percent oppose preferences in hiring practices (affirmative action). 73 percent agree that it is sometimes necessary to spank a child. 83 percent agree that ethnic minorities should be able to keep their traditions.

The point? People are a lot more liberal than you think... it's just that the republicans have demonized certain words and have ideological control over the current stream of American debate. I did add some stats that show America as being a very religious society as well (spanking, for instance) just to give you a general idea of things. Of course you support those currently engaged in the ideological domination so none of this may even matter to you... but I'm just trying to help and guide you toward becoming a better and more informed citizen.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/ go here and try it out...

BTW, here's my score
Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

[This message has been edited by Fascistsmasher (edited 03-07-2006).]
 #48 
Old 2006-03-07, 15:24
suck my dick suck my dick is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act


http://forum.protestwarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=138128
 #49 
Old 2006-03-07, 21:45
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

quote:
Originally posted by Fascistsmasher:
I appologize that my "radical" ideas and "conspiracy" theories got you into trouble. Though if you want to really get into it I'm probably more well educated than your teacher and therefore a better authority on these matters... remember, no one believed me when I talked about the NSA spying on civillians until Bush acknowledged it. No one believes me about echelon or a lot of things... but they, like cointelpro, will come to light some day.

The strong do rule the weak, but should the rich rule the poor if the rich are only that way because they rode to the top on the backs of the poor? Furthermore that's not how a Democracy should work, as it stands America is an oligarchy, of course some would argue that it was intended to be that way.

Who did I vote for in 2004? I voted for myself actually, as did 500+ others. In terms of local candidates and state candidates as well as my rep. I voted DFL (Minnesotas more radical version of the Democratic party).

I fail to see these "radical ideas" though, while I will admit that I do have some... very few have been expressed within the last few months. In terms of the patriot act, government repression and "terrorism" I am simply taking the line that the FOUNDERS OF OUR COUNTRY would have taken. Where, exactly did I judge someones right to make executive decisions based on personal life? That really doesn't sound like something I would do.

Heh, I guess you teacher would be really pissed off at the University I am going to be teaching at (hopefully my teaching duties will begin next spring... though they may not, depending). I suggest you go do some research on your own, independant of "radicals" and corporate owned media and start looking at thing analytically. Trust me, the world isn't nearly as black and white as the ruling republicans want you to believe. On a further and final note, is your teacher married? I am curious because married women tend to be less well informed and (surprise) more conservative and likely to vote republican. I actually would suggest asking a male social studies teacher about the patriot act... but don't go on spouting anything I've said. Simply ask if he thinks it's a good or bad thing. Of course, the fact that she punished you for seeking out information and varying from what she considers the norm is worrying... why is she so afraid of someone with views that differ from hers?

Honestly I know you're young and have probably been raised by a republican family. I know many of the things said here probably worry you and believing in some of the things people have said probably would shake your very belief system to its core. I do not fault you for sticking to your predetermined beliefs... nay I commend you for coming here and seeking information while defending these beliefs. However, one of the biggest problems in our nation today is the lack of a well-informed citizenry (40 percent of people in the 04' election believed Saddam was tied to 9-11) and I can see within you a lack of quality information.

To just spout off some of the information I currently have easy access to. Did you know that 93 percent of Americans support abortion in at least one case, and 38 percent support it regardless of circumstance. Only 7 percent want to see it make totally illegal... thats a huge shocked to most anti-abortion advocates. Not surprisingly religious fundementalists, those opposed to homosexual sex and those that attend services frequently are all more likely to want abortion banned.

Only ten percent of Americans have a "great deal" of confidence in the press. Overwhelmingly Americans support increasing welfare... but only if it's called assistance to the poor. 75 percent say that too little is spent on healthcare. A fairly substantial amount of people (36 percent) say that marijuana should be legalized. Conversly, 39 percent of Americans believe that the man should work while the woman stays at home. 79 percent of Americans believe that a equally or less qualified man will get a job over a women. 68 percent think special effort should be made by employers to hire women. Ironically 84 percent oppose preferences in hiring practices (affirmative action). 73 percent agree that it is sometimes necessary to spank a child. 83 percent agree that ethnic minorities should be able to keep their traditions.

The point? People are a lot more liberal than you think... it's just that the republicans have demonized certain words and have ideological control over the current stream of American debate. I did add some stats that show America as being a very religious society as well (spanking, for instance) just to give you a general idea of things. Of course you support those currently engaged in the ideological domination so none of this may even matter to you... but I'm just trying to help and guide you toward becoming a better and more informed citizen.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/ go here and try it out...

BTW, here's my score
Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49




Well, thanks for the response. Also, my humanities (language arts and social studies) teacher is married. I decided that it's not a good idea to talk about left-wing polotics at my school because a friend of mine (an outcast though) got suspended for "rude behavior" when he asked (quite polotley) our teacher about the deficit. Unfortunatley, I have a well-developed relationship with my teachers and if I mentioned anything left-wing again I would ruin that along with my grades and possibly get suspended. Good news is though that my teacher apologized to me (sincerely) and said that she was sorry about what she did but that she couldn't stress enough the dangers of listening to radicals. Asking anyone else would mean suspension and probably a big drop in my good (straight A's ) grades. I'm surprised by how old you are if you are teaching at a university. My teachers told me that liberals were only young, radical, and anarchistic teens. Oh yeah, we are just starting a unit on modern-day polotics tommorow so that should be interesting. BTW, what I meant about personal life was your idea about personal income affecting eligibilty for office. I don't think that that's fair. The wealthy don't have enough rights already.

EDIT: I was under the impression that Saddam did have some link to 9/11. And, I'm not uninformed because I watch CNN and Fox which are major news networks and can't lie because there are lots of laws about that. Also, they can't be biased because they have different people talking on them. Some of those people disagree with them but are let in as guests anyway.

[This message has been edited by Fuzzball3000 (edited 03-07-2006).]
 #50 
Old 2006-03-07, 21:56
Fuzzball3000 Fuzzball3000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Patriot Act

Shit, I deleted the picture of my polotical compass thing. Anyway, I was way upper-right.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics