About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:16
Regular
 
Default Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

At approximately 8am tomorrow morning, severe tropical cyclone Larry will be crossing into North Queensland hitting my town with up to 280km winds (Category 4) should it continue on it's same path.

Never been in a cyclone, not much looking forward to it either. Anyone been in a severe cyclone or natural disaster? What can I expect?

We've stocked up on food, batteries and fuel and shit to ride it out. A few mates and myself are probably hiding out in his garage, drinking beers to ride the storm out. Not enough to get drunk, but to calm the nerves.

Any stories? Tips? Discuss.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:17
cracky cracky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

Leisure Suit Larry?
 #3 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:20
Moderator
 
Deep South
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

Ride it out

Famous Last Words. Why not take your beer and your buddies and "ride it out" further inland?
 #4 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:20
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

-Get a umbrella and try to fly.
-Try walking horizontaly.
-Jumpt off a bridge, you'll just fly back up.
-Put on your hat and wizerd rob.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:20
Regular
 
Irvine, Scotland
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

Get your surfboard looked out.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:32
CatharticWeek CatharticWeek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

The effects of a tropical cyclone can be devestating.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:32
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by AngryFemme:
Ride it out

Famous Last Words. Why not take your beer and your buddies and "ride it out" further inland?



Evacuations haven't been ordered yet and it'd be kind of gay to leave and get stuck because of flooded highways or something and then have to ride it out in a car. It's unavoidable. If I could leave, I would.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:32
cracky cracky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by sybil:
-Get a umbrella and try to fly.
-Try walking horizontaly.
-Jumpt off a bridge, you'll just fly back up.
-Put on your hat and wizerd rob.



How does an incompetent fool gain modship? I could spell better in first grade.

[This message has been edited by cracky (edited 03-19-2006).]
 #9 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:33
The Nipple The Nipple is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by Danny JMC:
At approximately 8am tomorrow morning, severe tropical cyclone Larry will be crossing into North Queensland hitting my town with up to 280km winds (Category 4) should it continue on it's same path.

Never been in a cyclone, not much looking forward to it either. Anyone been in a severe cyclone or natural disaster? What can I expect?

We've stocked up on food, batteries and fuel and shit to ride it out. A few mates and myself are probably hiding out in his garage, drinking beers to ride the storm out. Not enough to get drunk, but to calm the nerves.

Any stories? Tips? Discuss.


Dude. Where in Nth Queensland do you live? I live in Atherton, Near Cairns. Yeah. Cant wait for it to hit. Shall be Fun.
 #10 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:33
Yoplait Yoplait is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

I saw a tornado once. It just went past me like a few miles away, it was fun to look at
 #11 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:38
Regular
 
sydney Australia
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

Put a few extra nails into your house, maybe some glue.

Besides that i hope you get a show, and come out unscathed.

BTW: go looting.
 #12 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:40
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by cracky:
How does an incompetent fool gain modship? I could spell better in first grade.




Well, first off. I'm not English. I never learned English. I learned everything from tv, so I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Second, Totse is multi-cultural. Learn to live with it.

third, you needed to edit your own message because you wrote a mistake .
 #13 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:53
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by The Nipple:
[QUOTE]Dude. Where in Nth Queensland do you live? I live in Atherton, Near Cairns. Yeah. Cant wait for it to hit. Shall be Fun.


You in the tablelands? That's awesome. Only been there once, great weed. I got a few mates that are there atm, actually. I'm in Townsville, south of Atherton. I think you're gonna get hit worse than me. I'm just worried about my car getting fucked up.
 #14 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:56
cracky cracky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by sybil:
Well, first off. I'm not English. I never learned English. I learned everything from tv, so I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Second, Totse is multi-cultural. Learn to live with it.

third, you needed to edit your own message because you wrote a mistake .



I was on a mission, on a boat fishin', at home wishin' my mom was in the kitchen eatin chicken finger lickin'
 #15 
Old 2006-03-19, 12:01
wanga wanga is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

Severe Tropical Cyclone Larry? That means that Larry is a cheap immitation of a Hurricane. You're not going to die. Your home won't even get flooded. In fact, it's not even worth making a thread about it.
 #16 
Old 2006-03-19, 12:06
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by wanga:
Severe Tropical Cyclone Larry? That means that Larry is a cheap immitation of a Hurricane. You're not going to die. Your home won't even get flooded. In fact, it's not even worth making a thread about it.


Not all of us are as hardcore as you, fucking poser.
 #17 
Old 2006-03-19, 12:15
zebra head zebra head is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

F5 tornado hit me shortly after I was born... wichita kansas 1989... I think that's literally my first memory, hearing loud as fuck wind, apparently the thing was literally right accross the street.. vaporized my sister's school... literally nothing left in it's path...


But for cyclones... they're really not that bad... it's the shit they pick up and throw around that's bad. As long as you're not prone to flooding anyway, or in a situation like New Orleans, hurricanes are cake... most damage they do by themselves is usually a couple million in repairing... but usually no serious damage. That's one of the reasons Hurricanes like Katrina or Andrew were so bad, because they hit abnormal circumstances and their envrioment just helped them do a SHILOAD of damage..


Batteries, fuel, water, some dry non perishable food... That's really all you need to ride anything out.. But yeah, if shit starts getting more than a few inches of water around, LOTS of damage going on, cows flying, etc... Get the hell out of dodge.

Good luck.
 #18 
Old 2006-03-19, 14:02
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by cracky:
I was on a mission, on a boat fishin', at home wishin' my mom was in the kitchen eatin chicken finger lickin'


Okeej...
 #19 
Old 2006-03-19, 15:27
xcon xcon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

Ah you'll live mate, they will probably send someone up there to find yas, eventually ay

quote:
But for cyclones... they're really not that bad


Yea ok whatever. Cyclone Tracy just managed to flatten an entire city, but hey, it was nothing.


[This message has been edited by xcon (edited 03-19-2006).]
 #20 
Old 2006-03-19, 17:48
heisler2 heisler2 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by zebra head:
cows flying


I would pay good money to see that.
 #21 
Old 2006-03-19, 17:53
ihatehippies ihatehippies is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by heisler2:
I would pay good money to see that.



Actually me too!
 #22 
Old 2006-03-19, 17:55
Orgasm-mong Orgasm-mong is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by sybil:

Well, first off. I'm not English. I never learned English. I learned everything from tv, so I'd say I'm doing pretty good.



Oh, spreek je misschien ook Nederlands?

translate that English bitches
 #23 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:10
Regular
 
California
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by Orgasm-mong:
Oh, spreek je misschien ook Nederlands?

translate that English bitches



"Oh, perhaps you also speak dutch?"???
 #24 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:20
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/L1.html
 #25 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:22
captain_awesome captain_awesome is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

When I lived in Japan, I was hit by a typhoon atleast once every year I lived there (3 years). When I was in Florida, I was in a couple of hurricanes. Unless you live in a shack, or something, you'll be fine. I'm sure you've been in a REALLY bad thunderstorm, and chances are, it's not gonna be much worse than a horrible thunderstorm. Only difference is, it'll last 4-5 hours as opposed to 30 minutes to an hour.

I think they're fun. I was never scared, and I always looked forward to them just because we got off school, and yeah.

You'll be fine, as long as you don't live near an area that's prone to flood.

Earthquakes, on the other hand, scared the shit out of me when I lived in Japan. Oh God, even the smallest of earthquakes scared the fuck out of me. Man, I've been in 2 moderate sized earthquakes. One was when I was at school. This one was smaller than the other memorable earthquake, but my teacher was screaming her lungs out, and not doing a good job of keeping a bunch of little kids (This was in like 96, I was in 5th grade) calm.
 #26 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:32
Orgasm-mong Orgasm-mong is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by SkaterRaider:
"Oh, perhaps you also speak dutch?"???


you just won... http://tinyurl.com/94zv5

[This message has been edited by Orgasm-mong (edited 03-19-2006).]
 #27 
Old 2006-03-19, 19:13
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

About 2 hours till impact. Expecting gusts of up to 280km an hour with a central pressure of 920 hectopascals. It's going to pack a bit of a punch.

Yeah, I'm not scared of it really. I mean, with all the right preparations in place, it can't be that bad. Townsville isn't even in the direct line any more.

I feel sorry for Innisfail though, they're going to get fucked in the ass. 280km an hour and heading their way fast. Have fun, guys. I'll report what happens later.
 #28 
Old 2006-03-19, 20:05
Moderator
 
Belgium
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

quote:
Originally posted by Orgasm-mong:
Oh, spreek je misschien ook Nederlands?

translate that English bitches



Ooh, cool, you're from Ieper. You're in the scouts and posting on Totse... :s that's a bit odd...
 #29 
Old 2006-03-19, 20:15
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

Updated to central pressure 915 hectopascals and winds of 290km an hour.
 #30 
Old 2006-03-19, 20:59
moonmeister moonmeister is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Hitting My Town

I don't get folks saying such winds are not that bad. That only flying debris & not pure wind is the trouble.

What about overturned vehicles & roofs torn off or buildings blown down? I don't think it's always debris that takes out windows, either. At high velocity it doesn't take much mass to cause damage, though.

Everybody always thinks that they're safe from flooding until they get soaked.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics