|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2006-03-18, 23:32
|
Big Vinnie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Should I join the Military???
I am now 22 years old and really doing nothing with my life. I've tried doing the college thing for a couple of semesters, but my problem is that I can't really decide what I want for a career. One issue that I have is social anxiety and that leads me to being depressed kind of a lot, so I don't know if it would worsen it or help me out. The branch that I was deciding to join was the Navy. I figured I would be able to travel the world and meet all kinds of new people. Opinions???
|
|
#2
 2006-03-18, 23:42
|
AngrySquirrel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
You should probably give it a hard think over. It's unlikely to solve your social anxiety in the general sense of fitting in your current situation, but there's many people in similar straits who join the military that you could identify with. If you're that unsure you want career-wise however, don't be too sure about devoting yourself to an extremely rigorous cause for several years.
|
|
#3
 2006-03-18, 23:45
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Depends man. The military is basically a college, of reality, where you not only have a shitload of fun but you learn a shitload of shit, not all how to operate machinery and kill people. What do you want to do in the Navy?
|
|
#4
 2006-03-18, 23:51
|
colorsoc 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
We can't really help you. You need to make the ultimate decision.
|
|
#5
 2006-03-18, 23:54
|
Graah 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Big Vinnie: I am now 22 years old and really doing nothing with my life. I've tried doing the college thing for a couple of semesters, but my problem is that I can't really decide what I want for a career. One issue that I have is social anxiety and that leads me to being depressed kind of a lot, so I don't know if it would worsen it or help me out. The branch that I was deciding to join was the Navy. I figured I would be able to travel the world and meet all kinds of new people. Opinions???
Because you said navy, I'm guessing you live in the US? If so, very stupid idea. We are at war, and very likely will invade another country, or have to do "peacekeeping" missions at best. Just do what you like and you're good at.
|
|
#6
 2006-03-18, 23:59
|
TheTuna 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Yes, go be a bullet stopper.
|
|
#7
 2006-03-18, 23:59
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Graah: Because you said navy, I'm guessing you live in the US?
If so, very stupid idea. We are at war, and very likely will invade another country, or have to do "peacekeeping" missions at best. Just do what you like and you're good at.
Americas at war so its a stupid idea? God forbid if you join the military you go to war! Pussy.
|
|
#8
 2006-03-19, 00:00
|
HTS-Noob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Better question (not directed as a jab at thread starter): Can fat people join up?
|
|
#9
 2006-03-19, 00:02
|
Big Vinnie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
I basically want to be able to see different parts of the world, which is my main reason the choosing the Navy. And for job-wise, I want to something in electronics or construction(something helpful as a civilian). Another thing I would like to do is totally reinvent myself, I just NEED to get the hell out of my town. Nothing but a bunch of drunks/potheads/meth heads.
|
|
#10
 2006-03-19, 00:02
|
|
Regular
|
|
D!cks are for my friends
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Join the Air Force.
|
|
#11
 2006-03-19, 00:04
|
Domenation 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
The Military is for gays, and the Navy even more so.
|
|
#12
 2006-03-19, 00:04
|
Bong-Rippa 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Basic training has some standards to meet.
You must be able to do 40 sit ups in 2 minutes
And 13 pushups
something like 2 miles in 14 minutes.
They have a height guide table on the site for weights.
|
|
#13
 2006-03-19, 00:07
|
HTS-Noob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Bong-Rippa: Basic training has some standards to meet.
You must be able to do 40 sit ups in 2 minutes
And 13 pushups
something like 2 miles in 14 minutes.
Hmm... may be fat but I can do the pushups and situps easily. The running however... I'm not so sure 
|
|
#14
 2006-03-19, 00:12
|
smoketheweed 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Domenation: The Military is for gays, and the Navy even more so.
Since when was the Navy not part of the Military? Dumbass.
|
|
#15
 2006-03-19, 00:13
|
smoketheweed 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by HTS-Noob: Hmm... may be fat but I can do the pushups and situps easily. The running however... I'm not so sure 
You usually get built up to it. So it doesn't really matter if you're a fatass.
|
|
#16
 2006-03-19, 00:14
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Big Vinnie: I basically want to be able to see different parts of the world, which is my main reason the choosing the Navy. And for job-wise, I want to something in electronics or construction(something helpful as a civilian). Another thing I would like to do is totally reinvent myself, I just NEED to get the hell out of my town. Nothing but a bunch of drunks/potheads/meth heads.
No matter what you do dude, its going to help you in the civilian world. There going to look at the fact you spent 4 years in the service as say, damn, thats a hard working mother fucker. I know you aren't asking, but it takes more then you will ever know to be a good 'bullet sponge', the shit you learn as a bullet sponge - in particular as a non commisioned officer, will help you in almost ANYTHING you do. Initiative, motivation, leadership, all that shit. Just because all of my military experiance comes from being a bullet sponge, I'm going to say take another look at being a grunt, because its fun to blow shit up. But whatever you do you will learn alot and have alot of fun with your new couple thousand strong family. And its okay that you are enlisting just to get out of the homestead, that doesn't matter.
|
|
#17
 2006-03-19, 00:14
|
Toddler Fondler 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
If you're comfortable with fighting and dying for an unjust war, go right ahead. We can't make that decision for you.
|
|
#18
 2006-03-19, 00:14
|
HTS-Noob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by smoketheweed: You usually get built up to it. So it doesn't really matter if you're a fatass.
WOOHOOOOO! I finally have a goal in life!
|
|
#19
 2006-03-19, 00:15
|
Sypher_X 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Join the AirForce
|
|
#20
 2006-03-19, 00:16
|
DIY Revolution 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
fuck no
|
|
#21
 2006-03-19, 00:16
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by HTS-Noob: Hmm... may be fat but I can do the pushups and situps easily. The running however... I'm not so sure 
If youre willing to actually do it, I'll help you get in shape, and so will alot of other dudes over at 'reinvent yourself'. Honestly, you could probally scrape by right now, but you won't acheive perfection, everyone in your unit will be pissed off that they have to get held behind because of you, and it really fucking hurts to go through a big transformation like that in such little time.
|
|
#22
 2006-03-19, 00:24
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by HTS-Noob: Better question (not directed as a jab at thread starter): Can fat people join up?
actually, no. You can't join the military if you are too fat.
|
|
#23
 2006-03-19, 00:26
|
HTS-Noob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by ShqipTAR: If youre willing to actually do it, I'll help you get in shape, and so will alot of other dudes over at 'reinvent yourself'. Honestly, you could probally scrape by right now, but you won't acheive perfection, everyone in your unit will be pissed off that they have to get held behind because of you, and it really fucking hurts to go through a big transformation like that in such little time.
Good advice, thx! Also, I got the time to get into shape (Ahem, only 15) so yeah...
|
|
#24
 2006-03-19, 00:36
|
Domenation 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by smoketheweed: Since when was the Navy not part of the Military? Dumbass.
I never said it wasn't. It's like saying: Trees are gay and twigs are gayer.
|
|
#25
 2006-03-19, 00:50
|
sweepingjaguar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
well I would join just so when I quit I can pay for my guns and take them home =D.
|
|
#26
 2006-03-19, 00:51
|
JDOGGYDOGG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Domenation: The Military is for gays, and the Navy even more so.
funny thing is i guarentee you wouldnt say that to a navy seal would you? My hvac teacher was a seal in nam and hes nuttyer than fuck!
|
|
#27
 2006-03-19, 00:54
|
Domenation 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by JDOGGYDOGG: funny thing is i guarentee you wouldnt say that to a navy seal would you? My hvac teacher was a seal in nam and hes nuttyer than fuck!
No shit Sherlock, it's common sense that I wouldn't call someone gay to their face, regardless of who they are.
|
|
#28
 2006-03-19, 00:57
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by HTS-Noob: Good advice, thx! Also, I got the time to get into shape (Ahem, only 15) so yeah...
Yeah you have plenty of time, and it really isn't hard to be fit, it just takes dedication. Start pumping.
|
|
#29
 2006-03-19, 00:58
|
a fucking idiot 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
I say go for it. I'm enlisting in the Israel Defense Force myself the day I turn 18. The military gives you experience that will be valuable for the rest of your life, and an experience you definatly won't forget.
|
|
#30
 2006-03-19, 01:03
|
Spatula Tzar 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Being yelled at and ordered around doesn't do much for depression.
|
|
#31
 2006-03-19, 01:07
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Spatula Tzar: Being yelled at and ordered around doesn't do much for depression.
Yes actually. Because ultimately you only get yelled at in the beginning and when you fuck up, and you have atleast 50 brothers to help you pick yourself back up.
|
|
#32
 2006-03-19, 01:17
|
Asphyxia 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Joining the Navy was the best thing that ever happened to me. I met tons of new people, and I learned alot. Good choice! 
|
|
#33
 2006-03-19, 01:18
|
TheTuna 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Asphyxia: Joining the Navy was the best thing that ever happened to me. I met tons of new people, and I learned alot. Good choice! 
Did they push your shit in? So many gay navy jokes.
|
|
#34
 2006-03-19, 01:26
|
Faithless 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Assuming you can pass their physical and mental tests...
A few military trades are civilian relevant. Chances are you aren't going to get them.
Military service in of itself looks good on a CV. Especially if it doesn't come with a dishonourable discharge attached.
IF you really can't do college, enlist as a trooper. If you think that just maybe you could hack college, do that and join as an officer.
In any case, good luck to you.
|
|
#35
 2006-03-19, 01:26
|
Sio 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
I'm 16 and also considering joining the military.
|
|
#36
 2006-03-19, 01:36
|
|
Regular
|
|
Niggerland: Land of the Negroe
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
I've been wondering, as long as you are moderately in shape, wouldn't the military accept you? They are really in need of recruits it seems, and I'm sure they'd put you in a non-fighting position.
|
|
#37
 2006-03-19, 01:47
|
Shotokan_Brawler 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Ever thought of being on a boat for 9 months straight? Im here in MCAS cherry point right now, just got done talkin to a sailor over here who did just that.
Dont get me wrong, the navys fine for some people, but being on an Amphib unit for 9 months with 1500 marines and 2000 sailors with a total of 100 females for the whole 3400 people, I dunno about it, he said the shit sucked.At least they keep the marines on land for awhile.
I'd go for www.marines.com or www.goarmy.com[/URL] I picked the marines last year, its doing me just fine. Theres a good reserve program in the army too, a friend of mine is in that right now.
I cant tell you much about the army, but the marines, feel free and ask.
[This message has been edited by Shotokan_Brawler (edited 03-19-2006).]
|
|
#38
 2006-03-19, 01:52
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
no.
|
|
#39
 2006-03-19, 03:05
|
Mr. Dazed and Confused 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Just don't join the National Guard. My dad was in the Air Force, my brother was in the Army, and my sister was in the Marines. Im going to college and their is no need for me right now to join the military. Join up, it will be good for you. You will be broken, but only to be built up to be a stronger man. If you decided to join you should hit the gym. Just run early in the morning and get use to waking up early. The more physical in-shape you are, it will be easier on your mind. Maybe you'll end up in another country and meet a girl like my brother did.
|
|
#40
 2006-03-19, 03:34
|
HTS-Noob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by ShqipTAR: Yeah you have plenty of time, and it really isn't hard to be fit, it just takes dedication. Start pumping.
lol will do SIR !
|
|
#41
 2006-03-19, 03:39
|
maggotcorps 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
USMC all the way...
only for the serious
|
|
#42
 2006-03-19, 03:40
|
DesertRebel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Big Vinnie
The Navy will tell you your about to see the world -- all 75% of it you won't see on land.
But the issue with any military branch is your gonna have to choose a job. Me? I chose Naval Intel! For jobs in the Navy, check out http://www.gonavy.com.
I can't tell you much about the Navy as I'm waiting to go to boot camp.
If you want to know in advance the bootcamp physical requirements, its like a 1 1/2 in under 12 minutes, a 50 yard swim using any combination of strokes, and staying afloat for 5 minutes. (I guess the Navys not expecting its ships to sink anytime soon...with requirements like that, you're pretty screwed if it sinks).
There is no weight mininum for the Navy, and because I'm so bloody light, I didn't pay attention to the max weight limit or height limit since I'm also short.
If you have any issue with killing people, DO NOT JOIN ANY MILITARY BRANCH WHATSOEVER! (except MAYBE the coast guard). Even in the Navy. Navy typically makes the initial first attacks in war, as the Air Force typically has to fly a bit of distance whereas the Navy sends its ships out to the coast of a possible warzone, and when war is made or declared, they send their jets to do some bombing. But no matter what job you do in the Marines, Air Force, Army or Navy, you are ultimately helping the killing because without your job, the system would weaken and not be as strong or as efficient. But as Toddler Fondler said, if you're comfortable knowing you are ultimately helping in an unjust war, go ahead and join. But at least you can say while everyone else was leaving, you entered and took their spot.
And anyone who says the military is gay or is full of gays needs to shut the hell up and go to MEPS and enlist. Right when you begin your final paperwork for ANY branch, including the Navy, they show you a paper explaining the military does not allow homosexuals in the military at all, and you will be discharged if discovered you're Gay. Don't ask, don't tell. <--Way it should be everywhere.
As for the social bit, I'm anti-social. Once you join, at least I did, every person you see is Navy or former Navy, is your brother or sister, and normally will be friendly to you and polite. (I believe this goes for all services) Why? Because you are part of a club, that some people choose never to join, or never deserved to get in. In the Navy you will learn a word that will describe comradity(sp?): Shipmate.
All branches are equally important, they just serve different roles. I chose Navy.
|
|
#43
 2006-03-19, 04:12
|
PetSematary 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Big Vinnie: I am now 22 years old and really doing nothing with my life. I've tried doing the college thing for a couple of semesters, but my problem is that I can't really decide what I want for a career. One issue that I have is social anxiety and that leads me to being depressed kind of a lot, so I don't know if it would worsen it or help me out. The branch that I was deciding to join was the Navy. I figured I would be able to travel the world and meet all kinds of new people. Opinions???
If you have diagnosed Social Anxiety Disorder you'll probably not pass the physical. If you lie about it, that could be big trouble. Furthermore, an Army recruiter I know told me that the Navy is reducing manpower and the Army is pushing a blue-to-green recruitment effort to re-up some of the sailors in the Army. Good luck.
|
|
#44
 2006-03-19, 04:21
|
elektrik toast 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
In the navy Yes, you can sail the seven seas In the navy Yes, you can put your mind at ease In the navy Come on now, people, make a stand In the navy, in the navy Can't you see we need a hand In the navy Come on, protect the motherland In the navy Come on and join your fellow man In the navy Come on people, and make a stand In the navy, in the navy, in the navy, in the navy!
(the village people popped into my head as soon as i started reading.)
|
|
#45
 2006-03-19, 04:23
|
DesertRebel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
I know the Air Force is doing that, but I dont know about the Navy. I'd ask the Navy recruiter, I'm still paranoid of recruiters.
|
|
#46
 2006-03-19, 04:26
|
*Badmilk* 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Don't do it, "the pioneers of a peaceful and warless world are those who refuse to join the service"
|
|
#47
 2006-03-19, 04:29
|
Kotov 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by Graah: Because you said navy, I'm guessing you live in the US?
If so, very stupid idea. We are at war, and very likely will invade another country, or have to do "peacekeeping" missions at best. Just do what you like and you're good at.
moron.....complete moron...do you not know your own military.....hmm guess not...the navy and the airforce if you do decide are your best bet for after you leave for civilian job skills since there is no air or naval war anytime soon youll be very safe and dont listen to this idoit im quoteing whos basic idea of the war in iraq is limited to the cartoons he watches
|
|
#48
 2006-03-19, 04:29
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
50/50 chance.... heads you live, tails you die.
|
|
#49
 2006-03-19, 04:30
|
HTS-Noob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Does the US military still have the lodge act or was that taken out after WWII? Lodge Act = A foreigner can join the US military and after... 5 years? of service, they get a US Citizenship. I only ask because I am Canadian... and I hate the Canadian Armed Forces 
|
|
#50
 2006-03-19, 04:35
|
wrk_sux 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
i have just enlisted in the australian army and completed all my trainig, im a reserve but like you i ddint know what i wanted to do. join the army/navy what ever for 4 years then if you dont like it leave. you will be at your physical prime, you will have a lot of fun and will help you with future cariers and college prospects. it wont be easy but youve done something not many people do, steped up to the plate and said you would die for your country, family and friends if that need arises.
|
|
#51
 2006-03-19, 04:40
|
HTS-Noob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
If I join up, I'd prefer to be an Attack Chopper Pilot, or a fighter/bomber pilot. No cargo duty for me! I want combat action 
|
|
#52
 2006-03-19, 05:10
|
varactor_blue 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Well, being an anarchist, I can't really approve of joining any military or armed forces, seeing as you would be becoming one of the foot soldiers of doom, those reviled stormtroopers of an evil government. Read "1984" a few thousand times for a clue: what Orwell predicted is coming true as we speak (or rather, type).
But hey, if you feel that your life would be better spent as cannon fodder for the capitalist elite, then go for it.
The way I see it, it's like this: You're going to die, one way or another. You can either die on your own terms, standing up for what you believe in, or you can die in the service of the hidden masters (Illuminati, Council of Twelve, The Patriots, whatever you want to call them) for a cause that is both corrupt and evil. It's your choice.
|
|
#53
 2006-03-19, 05:37
|
mouser55 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
yes, totse needs a man on the inside
|
|
#54
 2006-03-19, 05:48
|
mouser55 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by mouser55
yes, totse needs a man on the inside
|
|
|
#55
 2006-03-19, 06:35
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
quote: Originally posted by varactor_blue: Well, being an anarchist, I can't really approve of joining any military or armed forces, seeing as you would be becoming one of the foot soldiers of doom, those reviled stormtroopers of an evil government. Read "1984" a few thousand times for a clue: what Orwell predicted is coming true as we speak (or rather, type).
But hey, if you feel that your life would be better spent as cannon fodder for the capitalist elite, then go for it.
The way I see it, it's like this: You're going to die, one way or another. You can either die on your own terms, standing up for what you believe in, or you can die in the service of the hidden masters (Illuminati, Council of Twelve, The Patriots, whatever you want to call them) for a cause that is both corrupt and evil. It's your choice.
Well you aren't going to have the skills to stand up to the 'hidden masters' without some sort of military experiance, so. If you read 1984 a few thousand times, or any of his other books, you'd realize hes actually one of the biggest advocates of western supremacy and the imperialism.
|
|
#56
 2006-03-19, 06:48
|
|
|
Re: Should I join the Military???
I'd go for Air Force you have just as many travel opportunities. Try to find something you would like to do not hate. You could do Security Forces(Military Police). You won't always be a at the gate theres more to that career than what it looks like. You could do Special Ops. Mechanic for the Humvees, Dirt Bikes, and Quads. One more thing if you completed any of those courses in college it will raise your rank a little.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|