|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread. |
 |
|
#1
 2006-03-18, 06:56
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
High Fructose Corn Syrup
I'm drinking this Vitamin Water stuff and I was checking the ingrediants and one of them is "crystalline fructose". I've never heard of that before. So, I googled it and I found this and I thought I would share it with the curious viewers of &Totse.: --------------------------------------------
Crystalline Fructose versus HFCS Before conclusions regarding the safety of fructose consumption can be made, two significant distinctions between crystalline fructose and HFCS must be noted.
1. HFCS is manufactured from cornstarch after the removal of protein and fiber. The cornstarch is hydrolyzed to form dextrose, which then undergoes an isomerization process to yield different forms of HFCS that vary depending on the final fructose content. HFCS therefore contains other components in addition to fructose, the majority of which is glucose with minor contributions of other substances including maltose, maltotriose, and polydextrose. In contrast, crystalline fructose is purified and does not contain appreciable amounts of other components.
2. An excessive intake of HFCS is easily achieved and is relatively common today due to the high per-serving content of HFCS in many popular food items. Research has shown a direct correlation between high levels of dietary HFCS and the prevalence of metabolic changes. Crystalline fructose, on the other hand, is usually found in or added to certain foods in much lower levels.
Crystalline Fructose: Crystalline fructose is produced through a complex series of steps, starting with the monosaccharide dextrose, which is derived originally from corn (dextrose is chemically identical to fructose but "inverted" in structure). The end product, crystalline fructose, is a sweet tasting solid that has the same properties as liquid fructose (see "fructose"). ---------------------------------------------
Reference: http://www.metagenics.com/resources/articles/pp-fructose.asp
Interesting stuff as I, for one, am very interested in high fructose corn syrup - considering it's in almost everything these days.
Cheers, Lost
[This message has been edited by LostCause (edited 03-18-2006).]
|
|
#2
 2006-03-18, 06:58
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
Cool 
|
|
#3
 2006-03-18, 07:07
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
I put corn syrup on my waffles when I'm out of syrup.
|
|
#4
 2006-03-18, 07:11
|
YoreLuv 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
I wouldn't trust that shit, man. The American Cancer Society says sugar (fructose) causes cancer! Not that they would advertise that sort of thing otherwise "thier gig is most endangered"!Ya....Ya.Ya.Ya....Ya...
|
|
#5
 2006-03-18, 07:15
|
fire is cool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
I remember a while back they were talking about potato chips causing cancer. It turns out that was if you ate something like 25 pounds of them every day. Don't trust that scare tatic shit.
|
|
#6
 2006-03-18, 07:20
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
quote: Originally posted by fire is cool: I remember a while back they were talking about potato chips causing cancer. It turns out that was if you ate something like 25 pounds of them every day. Don't trust that scare tatic shit.
Almost anything can cause cancer if you taste enough of it. Cheers, Lost
|
|
#7
 2006-03-18, 07:28
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
quote: Originally posted by LostCause: Almost anything can cause cancer if you taste enough of it.
Cheers, Lost
Remember as a rule of thumb, everything causes cancer in california.
|
|
#8
 2006-03-18, 07:30
|
Armageddon 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
When I was a small child, I was allergic to corn, cane sugar, and dairy products. Can you imagine just how varied my diet was then?  Now I don't particularly like the taste of corn syrup (any type) or dairy anything (save ice cream). Sugar I can stand a bit, since it's so hard to get food without it. I don't really care for it now, since I now regularly get the same amount of Vitamin C in a day (without any supplement) as most people get in a month. The food industry should really try and make products without all those added chemicals and substances. It would greatly help people's bodies.
|
|
#9
 2006-03-18, 07:46
|
moonmeister 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
No doubt youse did Goog across the talk of the relationship of HFCS to obesity? As apparently it is more likely than yer regular carbs to be converted to the fatness? And being as how it's cheaper than sucrose, the manufacturers loves it, they really loves it? Liable to put it in any & every thing? Sugar/Salt/MSG/Fat being the easily added most apparent addictive stuff to stick in... errr sumpin'? Personally I prefer HF rictiveC(*), as while it may lead to the soreness, it is unlikely to lead to the fatness. 
|
|
#10
 2006-03-18, 07:54
|
Indulgence 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
Corn syrup is nasty. Whenever I drink something without corn syrup, it tastes so much fucking better and doesn't feel like a pussy version of maple syrup in my mouth.
Vitamin Water's good but it's supported by FIDDY CENT so it's 'cool' to drink it or something.
EDIT: And it's amazing how much horrible shit goes into our food just to save the manufacturers a little money. Google partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and brominated vegetable oil.
Ha, I sound like I'm preaching the horrors of American food.
[This message has been edited by Indulgence (edited 03-18-2006).]
|
|
#11
 2006-03-18, 08:13
|
moonmeister 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
If we could only get our wimmenszszs outta the workplaces, y'know, the boardrooms 'n hair saloons & reg saloons & back in the kitchen. They could prepare good wholesome foodszszs. Though...I yam a little bit a-wonderin'...if they don't really want to be there? Just what are they gonna be puttin' in our food? 
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|