About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-17, 07:27
samurai_steve samurai_steve is offline
Regular
 
Default When swearing meant something

people swear too much! when i was a kid i didnt even know that "fuck" was a swear word. Thus, when i first started saying it it was a pretty big deal for me. But im starting to notice a shitty trend, swear words are just too commonplace in todays day and age. Maybe this is just because im becoming an adult, but i like to think of a day when somebody only swears because they intend to show intense emotion about a particular subject... not because swearing is socially acceptable. I think im rambling.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-17, 09:39
Velio Velio is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

that's how language evolves...

words become used in a certain context with an underlying meaning... over time the context changes, which in turns changes the underlying meaning...

that and a looser approach to parenting caused by too much comfort.
 #3 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:08
Moderator
 
toronto
Default Re: When swearing meant something

Spurious.
 #4 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:13
Psykadelic Psykadelic is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

I'm Neo.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:13
ulTRAX ulTRAX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

fuck the bullshit.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:13
MomentaryLapseOfReason MomentaryLapseOfReason is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

Goddamn motherfuck the fucking foam tetrahedron, the no good sonofabitch trick ass mark.

Fuck.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:50
lobotomy lobotomy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

I like how you talk about how too many people swear, yet you swear twice.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:55
DA DA is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

It was prevalent, and still is as far as my knowledge goes, in middle school. Around that age, you "stop caring" about mommy and daddy. Because it's cool?

Perhaps.

But moreso, because it's a freedom that's never been had. Even a way to act like the ol' silver screen says?

When people become older, they realize that it really isn't such a big deal. I hear more swear words at a middle school than at my highschool.

Added maturity?

I should hope so.
{DA}
 #9 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:56
Regular
 
Canada
Default Re: When swearing meant something

With a little creativity you can still get pretty damn offensive.
 #10 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:56
Regular
 
Minneapolis
Default Re: When swearing meant something

quote:
Originally posted by MomentaryLapseOfReason:
Goddamn motherfuck the fucking foam tetrahedron, the no good sonofabitch trick ass mark.

Fuck.



tetrahedron. hahaha.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:04
Yoplait Yoplait is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

I don't swear
 #12 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:23
Regular
 
Bartertown, NV
Default Re: When swearing meant something

You have to find a balance.

Not a strict mormon dickwad with a bomb in his testicles that explodes when he utters a curse word such as: "darn", but then again, you don't want to be brainless dumbass like a Juggalo that says fuck every other word, like a fucked up skipping cd.
 #13 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:25
TheTuna TheTuna is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

I'm a serial swearer. I cant help it! Well, i probably could, but I dont want to. I'm piss sick of people saying they look down on me because I swear, its just language.

Judgemental fuckers.

Thats just a general rant, not aimed at anyone.
 #14 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:33
Regular
 
Bartertown, NV
Default Re: When swearing meant something

quote:
Originally posted by TheTuna:
I'm a serial swearer. I cant help it! Well, i probably could, but I dont want to. I'm piss sick of people saying they look down on me because I swear, its just language.

Judgemental fuckers.

Thats just a general rant, not aimed at anyone.



lawl

beat/spank/slapping the tuna

fucking kickass

Spanking the Monkey is yesterdays phrase. Throw that monkey out, and get a tuna.
 #15 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:35
TheTuna TheTuna is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

quote:
Originally posted by Generic Box Of Cookies:
lawl

beat/spank/slapping the tuna

fucking kickass

Spanking the Monkey is yesterdays phrase. Throw that monkey out, and get a tuna.



Make sure it isn't that dolphin friendly bullshit, and your set.
 #16 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:40
Regular
 
Bartertown, NV
Default Re: When swearing meant something

quote:
Originally posted by TheTuna:
Make sure it isn't that dolphin friendly bullshit, and your set.



Yeah, just stay away from the water and Flipper won't get you.
 #17 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:55
ExplodingTeeth ExplodingTeeth is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

I use it to stress the importance of certain things or situations.
 #18 
Old 2006-03-18, 06:23
Zorya Zorya is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: When swearing meant something

I know a guy who said "Goodness Gracious" once, without realizing he said it. He also listens to 50 Cent and won a science award last year for something or other.
Am I the only one who laughs when someone says "Darn it! This coefficient is fucking absurd!"?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics