About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-16, 20:55
Isobutane Isobutane is offline
Regular
 
Default The mean age of a family is 18

The father is 38. The father dies, the mean age of the family is now 14.
How many children are in the family?

2, 3, 4, 5 or 6?

No cheating; no google.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:02
THEatomicpunk THEatomicpunk is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

just under 2 and a half....too lazy to figure out the real answer.

*Forgot to mention that the mom's dead.



[This message has been edited by THEatomicpunk (edited 03-16-2006).]
 #3 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:03
robyextreme robyextreme is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

Any other homework you need help with ?
 #4 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:06
sii sii is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

You can't answer that without knowing the age of the kids and the mother. It's just speculative otherwise. If I had to speculate, I would say 3, cause if the mom is 36, and there are 3 kids of around 10...
 #5 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:06
Isobutane Isobutane is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

quote:
Originally posted by robyextreme:
Any other homework you need help with ?


It's not homework.
It was on thge Pink Kangaroo Maths Challenge I did today.
We don't get shit ass homework like that.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:14
Regular
 
London
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

quote:
Originally posted by sii:
You can't answer that without knowing the age of the kids and the mother. It's just speculative otherwise. If I had to speculate, I would say 3, cause if the mom is 36, and there are 3 kids of around 10...


I agree, but there is probably some secret catch.

Oooh my mate did that today I think, but his was called the UKMT maths challenge.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:16
THEatomicpunk THEatomicpunk is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

Wait...is this something that's like NEML ? you do it in school, like, 6 times a year? I know the NEML thing is just around where I live. New England Math League.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:24
robbinthehood robbinthehood is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

quote:
Originally posted by Isobutane:
google.


Idea!

Well, that was no help.

.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:30
Isobutane Isobutane is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

quote:
Originally posted by uncopyrightable:
I agree, but there is probably some secret catch.

Oooh my mate did that today I think, but his was called the UKMT maths challenge.



UMKT MC comes first. Kangaroos are selected from UKMT MC rseults.
 #10 
Old 2006-03-16, 21:41
TheMessiahComplex TheMessiahComplex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

I got 5, possibly 4.
Here's how I did it:

X = combined age of family members
N = number of family members

Given Data:
X / N = 18
(X-38) / (N-1) = 14

Do some algebra...

x = 14n + 24
(14n + 24) / n = 18

Solve that..
4n = 24
n = 6

That's the total number of people in the family, one of them is the father, leaving 5 left.
Since no mention of the mother is made, either there are just the 5 kids, or one of them is the mother, leaving 4 kids.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-17, 05:12
Regular
 
Edmonton
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

14 / 2 = 7

2 kids ages of 7?
 #12 
Old 2006-03-17, 06:53
Regular
 
California
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

No one said it, so... 42?
 #13 
Old 2006-03-17, 07:14
Splinter7 Splinter7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The mean age of a family is 18

Mother who is 28 years old with a newborn baby.

I win.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics