About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Spurious Generalities
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:44
Its steven Its steven is offline
Regular
 
Default I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

And I need some cool quotes. It can be anything as long as it's "School Appropriate"

So let's hear 'em.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:46
lobotomy lobotomy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

For every prohibition you create you also create an underground
~~Jello Biafra
 #3 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:46
DiStOrTiOn DiStOrTiOn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"FUCK THA SYSTEM"
 #4 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:46
KronoLogiK KronoLogiK is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

say philosophy is a paradox it will make u sound smart
 #5 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:54
Its steven Its steven is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

I was thinking "Strive for peace with acts of war"

but the the paradox one is good too.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:56
Moderator
 
Deep South
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization. Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
 #7 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:58
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

'Every man is what he is, because of the dominating thoughts he allows to occupy his mind' - Napoleon Hill.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:03
Its steven Its steven is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny JMC:
'Every man is what he is, because of the dominating thoughts he allows to occupy his mind' - Napoleon Hill.



I like this one.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:04
JuggaloStoner42069 JuggaloStoner42069 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by DiStOrTiOn:
"FUCK THA SYSTEM"


LOl, +1
 #10 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:09
Fuckedup Fuckedup is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

With every action, there is a reaction
 #11 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:22
chazz chazz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"no man is an island"
John dunn

"two leaps per casam prove fatal"
unknown
 #12 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:30
Regular
 
Australia
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Never argue with a drunk, that's why you don't argue with Russia." - My Russian friend.

"Never judge a man till you walk a mile in his shoes. After you've walked that mile and you still don't like him, who cares? You're a mile away and you have his shoes." - My Russian friend (I think).


"If I had a dollar for every time some one said I looked like Brad Pitt...I'd be a homeless piece of shit" - Me

"Jesus did it for the chicks" - Unknown
 #13 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:31
DesertWolf DesertWolf is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"alcohol. the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems." Homer Simpson
 #14 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:33
Regular
 
Northern Virginia
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

For school, huh?

"Education rears disciples, imitators, and routinists, not pioneers of new ideas and creative geniuses. The schools are not nurseries of progress and improvement, but conservatories of tradition and unvarying modes of thought."

-Ludwig von Mises
 #15 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:36
Misfit Misfit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"GOSH"
- Napoleon Dynamite
 #16 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:37
Regular
 
Toronto, ON
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

<kyourek> There was a 23% drop in temperature.
<nappyjallapy> That's almost 25%!
<kyourek> ... That was one of the most worthless comments I've ever heard.
 #17 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:47
BindTortureKill BindTortureKill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. "
-George Orwell

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. "
-George Orwell

"I know not if this earth on which I stand is the core of the universe or if it is but a speck of dust lost in eternity. I know not and I care not. For I know what happiness is possible to me on earth."
-from Anthem by Ayn Rand
 #18 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:51
Regular
 
Australia
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by Adorkable:
"Education rears disciples, imitators, and routinists, not pioneers of new ideas and creative geniuses. The schools are not nurseries of progress and improvement, but conservatories of tradition and unvarying modes of thought."

-Ludwig von Mises



Brilliant...

 #19 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:52
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt
 #20 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:53
Tommy Lund Tommy Lund is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by arquin:

"Never judge a man till you walk a mile in his shoes. After you've walked that mile and you still don't like him, who cares? You're a mile away and you have his shoes." - My Russian friend (I think).



I laughed.
 #21 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:57
BloodLine BloodLine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

Omg- I love quotes!
"I came, I saw, I conquored."
"Only regrets I have are of the risks I never took."
"It's easy to think darkly in a world with no light" << By me!! :P
"I'm allied with hatred, for love is my enemy" << By a buddy
"Screw the system"
"Everything that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."
"Only thing to fear is fear itself."
 #22 
Old 2006-03-15, 14:37
Noktan Noktan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

Well, Mark Twain made some nifty ones
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.


Okay okay, i'll stop now

[This message has been edited by Noktan (edited 03-15-2006).]
 #23 
Old 2006-03-15, 14:41
Storm Storm is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by chazz:
"no man is an island"
John dunn

"two leaps per casam prove fatal"
unknown




That's John Donne.

I have no idea what you were trying to say for the second quote.

"When it was over, all I could think about was how this entire notion of oneself, what we are, is just this logical structure, a place to momentarily house all the abstractions. It was a time to become conscious, to give form and coherence to the mystery, and I had been a part of that. It was a gift. Life was raging all around me and every moment was magical. I loved all the people, dealing with all the contradictory impulses - that's what I loved the most, connecting with the people. Looking back, that's all that really mattered."
 #24 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:05
pyroanarchist pyroanarchist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by lobotomy:
For every prohibition you create you also create an underground
~~Jello Biafra



FTW
 #25 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:09
Crunchbite Crunchbite is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, but you also miss the opportunity to get that bitch off your back."

Yeah...wait....no.
 #26 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:38
gavnook gavnook is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by Adorkable:
For school, huh?

"Education rears disciples, imitators, and routinists, not pioneers of new ideas and creative geniuses. The schools are not nurseries of progress and improvement, but conservatories of tradition and unvarying modes of thought."

-Ludwig von Mises



Wow, von Mises quoted on Fark.

 #27 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:53
gavnook gavnook is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

Your teacher probably wouldn't like this, but I love it:

"If you had a spouse that behaved like your government, you could not only break free of the relationship, you might be able to collect damages or even have the offender jailed, or at least ordered to stay away from you."
--Joe Sobran


Usually, you can't go wrong with quoting those rich, white, wig-wearing slave owners who didn't want to pay taxes:

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
--James Madison

And there's a Russian saying I learned that basically says, "the first pancake is always fucked up". The actually saying isn't so vulgar, but "messed up" just doesn't convey the meaning as well, IMO.


quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

I have no idea what you were trying to say for the second quote.



If it takes you more than one leap per chasm, you aren't leaping far enough and will fall to your death.



[This message has been edited by gavnook (edited 03-15-2006).]
 #28 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:54
Dr.Ivan Dr.Ivan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

When the cake is talking the crumble is silent

-Henning Wehn

 #29 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:56
torx torx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"You will change. You will transform. You will learn. You will disagree." Jeff Hunter.
 #30 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:58
SKS_7.62 SKS_7.62 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

-There is no religon higher than the truth
 #31 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:02
WolfinSheepsClothing WolfinSheepsClothing is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill

 #32 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:08
the_inner_war the_inner_war is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by torx:
"You will change. You will transform. You will learn. You will disagree. You will enjoy it." Jeff Hunter.


 #33 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:14
Moderator
 
Wherever I lay my hat
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"From my cold, dead hands."
 #34 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:26
im_bigger_then_god_see im_bigger_then_god_see is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"God lies Dont read the bible"-The POPE
 #35 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:35
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Theoretical physics is a science locally isomorphic to mathematics"-unknown. Nerdy, but I like it for some reason.

"I could be bounded within a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space"

"To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish 'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil ,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay ,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,"

both from Hamlet, I can't remember where the first is from, but the second is my favourite part of Hamlet's famous soliloquy in act III scene I.

"All science is either physics or stampcollecting"-Arthur Eddington

There's loads of others that I can't remember precisely.
 #36 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:41
Rainbow Se7en Rainbow Se7en is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Control the Media, Control the Mind."
- Computer Assisted Biologically Augmented Lifeform (CABAL), Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun

probably one of the coolest quotes ever that's absolutely fucking true.
 #37 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:42
halfacracka halfacracka is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Take it out hard and see who has the most guts at the end"-Pre
 #38 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:46
Head-shopper Head-shopper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

Don't be happpy with what you've got

-Vicky
 #39 
Old 2006-03-15, 16:50
Regular
 
OPS 2A building 688-6911(b)
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

�There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns � the ones we don�t know we don�t know.�
 #40 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:01
Regular
 
Irvine, Scotland
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

O RLY?

-owl
 #41 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:32
Saphiria Saphiria is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"A heart is not juged by how much you love but by how much you are loved by others"
-Wizard of Oz
-scene where the wizard gives the tinman the heart
 #42 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:45
dark-easterbunny dark-easterbunny is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert einstein
 #43 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:46
Harman Kardon Harman Kardon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.
 #44 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:48
xannex xannex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

Use something from EE Cummings, he's a fantastic wordsmith and you'd have a lot of material to chose from as well as various ways to explain it.
 #45 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:54
moongoot moongoot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Yeah well. The Dude abides."
 #46 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:56
Bjork Bjork is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"I was talking to a friend about it recently and i told him that the thing about making that film that upset me most was how cruel Lars is to the woman he is working with. Not that I can't take it, because I'm pretty tough and completely capable of defending myself, but because my ideals of the ultimate creator were shattered. And my friend said "What did you expect? All major directors are "sexist", a maker is not necessarily an expert in human rights or female/male equality!
My answer was that you can take quite sexist film directors like Woody Allen or Stanley Kubrick and still they are the one that provide the soul to their movies. In Lars von Trier's case it is not so and he knows it. He needs a female to provide his work soul. And he envies them and hates them for it. So he has to destroy them during the filming. And hide the evidence. What saves him as an artist, though, is that he is so painfully honest that even though he will manage to cover up his crime in the "real" world (he is a genius to set things up that everybody thinks it is just his female-actress-at-the-moment imagination, that she is just hysterical or pre-menstrual), his films become a documentation of this "soul-robbery". Breaking the Waves is the clearest example of that.
bjork."
 #47 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:56
torx torx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Originally posted by Lovecraft:
O RLY?

-owl



I lolled
 #48 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:58
Where Is Your God Now Where Is Your God Now is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

quote:
Never trust a cop with a rubberglove.
 #49 
Old 2006-03-15, 18:00
Lord Sorpington Lord Sorpington is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"Sometimes even to live is an act of courage" - Seneca

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict thier parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Had to add that.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sorpington (edited 03-15-2006).]
 #50 
Old 2006-03-15, 18:44
Lysol Lysol is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I'm supposed to pick a quote for class.

"The best thing in life, is life. Get your mind rite, and get your grind rite"

Ice Cube
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics