About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-19, 08:45
Elephantitis Man Elephantitis Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Dual monitor benefits?

Need a little advice.

I'm building a new computer; it's going to be used for video editing/effects. I'm wondering what the benifits of running dual monitors are and if it is worth the price to invest in 2, or just use 1?
 #2 
Old 2006-03-19, 08:49
ihatehippies ihatehippies is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

why not use 3??

check out this:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/th2go/home.cfm
 #3 
Old 2006-03-19, 08:58
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

For video editing, I'd stick with one moniter, but get a super huge widescreen one.
 #4 
Old 2006-03-19, 09:07
Elephantitis Man Elephantitis Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
For video editing, I'd stick with one moniter, but get a super huge widescreen one.


Super huge widescreen? I'm not made of money.
2 17" Viewsonics go for about $430. The best 20" I can find is about $440.
Between the 2 of those, which would be the better deal?
 #5 
Old 2006-03-19, 09:33
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

20"
 #6 
Old 2006-03-19, 09:35
Elephantitis Man Elephantitis Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
20"


 #7 
Old 2006-03-19, 11:07
Regular
 
Cuntville
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

I personally havent used a dual monitor setup that much, but some programmers I know find it useful for their work. My old roomate had a set up like that, he mainly used it to watch movies while surfing the web. I currently have a 17" LCD, im considering getting a better/bigger one sometime in the next year or so, if I do that I'll probably use my current monitor as a secondary.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-19, 12:56
Regular
 
BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

Just get what I'm getting.

Samsung SyncMaster 320P 32" 8ms HDCP LCD
http://tinyurl.com/lqmqp

It's awesome.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-19, 13:43
Grammar_Whore Grammar_Whore is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

Eh dual monitor comes in use from time to time. Usually when playing games, one game for one monitor and instant messaging for the other. So I know when people message me and see if I need to get out of the game to text back or not.
 #10 
Old 2006-03-19, 14:13
Tod Tod is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

quote:
Originally posted by Grammar_Whore:
Eh dual monitor comes in use from time to time. Usually when playing games, one game for one monitor and instant messaging for the other. So I know when people message me and see if I need to get out of the game to text back or not.


Or you can just run the game windows, if that is an option.

That 32" screen sucks, its resolution is waaaaay to low.

I personally have dual screen(17" lcd and 19"crt) i frikkin love it, IM on one screen surf on the other, its also very handy when doing 3D modelling or stuff like that, i would take 2 medium sized monitors over one big low res one every day.

[This message has been edited by Tod (edited 03-19-2006).]
 #11 
Old 2006-03-19, 14:47
z3r0 c001 z3r0 c001 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

Yeah I love my dual monitors, your effiencency doubles. If you have the cash I'd say that is definetly worth it.
 #12 
Old 2006-03-19, 19:32
smokeymcpot420 smokeymcpot420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

I love dual monitors. I have 2 20" CRT monitors hooked up now. I used to have them, and a 15" too. My main card is a 128mb Geforce and the other one is some old pci card. They both run 124x768 @32 bit. I can get my main monitor up to 1920x1200, and I sometimes do!
I usually have my brouser window on the main one and MSN and WMP on the other.
 #13 
Old 2006-03-19, 19:58
Regular
 
Administrator
Default Re: Dual monitor benefits?

I use dual monitors with a 19" samsung LCD, and a 17" some blah crap monitor (soon to be upgraded to another 19" samsung LCD). I love it, you have alot more workspace doing anything. Gaming, websurfing, image/video/sound editing. Even when i'm DJing it helps alot having a folder with all my songs in it, and Traktor on the other monitor. It's great.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics