|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2006-03-18, 07:01
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Mac Experts, please help.
Please help me. I have a powerbook 540c with Os 7.5.5 (From memory) Installed on it. Problem is, It wont boot up, even when it is plugged into the mains. Is there any ideas on how I could get this in working condidtion again ?
|
|
#2
 2006-03-18, 07:43
|
kenwih 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
does it beep when you try to boot?
|
|
#3
 2006-03-18, 07:47
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
No, It dosent boot. Nothing hapens.
[This message has been edited by kieran1394 (edited 03-18-2006).]
|
|
#4
 2006-03-18, 20:41
|
|
Regular
|
|
Land of the Ires.
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
Does anything appear on the screen.
Like a question mark or frowny face?
How do you even know it's on?
Is the problem that it won't turn on or that it won't boot (yes there is a difference).
[This message has been edited by Issue313 (edited 03-18-2006).]
|
|
#5
 2006-03-18, 22:13
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
if it doesn't make any clicking noises, or make a boot chime, then you're probably out of luck. if nothing appears on the screen, its impossible to tell whats wrong without bustin the thing open.
|
|
#6
 2006-03-18, 22:25
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
The last time it booted up, I got a picture of a bomb and some random characters on screen.
|
|
#7
 2006-03-18, 23:04
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
I press the power button on the keyboard, no signs of life, nothing.
|
|
#8
 2006-03-18, 23:06
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
quote: Originally posted by kieran1394: The last time it booted up, I got a picture of a bomb and some random characters on screen.
yeah, your fucked.
|
|
#9
 2006-03-18, 23:14
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
What does it mean ?
|
|
#10
 2006-03-19, 05:58
|
spodie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
quote: Originally posted by kieran1394: Please help me. I have a powerbook 540c with Os 7.5.5 (From memory) Installed on it. Problem is, It wont boot up, even when it is plugged into the mains. Is there any ideas on how I could get this in working condidtion again ?
Go here. Download the PDF file you will find there. Look in the troubleshooting section of said PDF, and try to determine what went wrong. I'm an AppleCare Technician, and have access to these things, but you don't know where it came from, right? Hope this helps. [This message has been edited by spodie (edited 03-19-2006).]
|
|
#11
 2006-03-20, 00:14
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
Looks like I need to replace a fuse on the MoBo.
[This message has been edited by kieran1394 (edited 03-20-2006).]
|
|
#12
 2006-03-20, 01:03
|
barnes 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
Its not as bad as I thought it was. A fuse will cost you what, like 3 bucks?
|
|
#13
 2006-03-20, 03:14
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
Yeah around 3 bucks. As soon as I get some money Ill buy it.
I also have Powermac 5500/250. Are they any good ? I mean, I just found it.
|
|
#14
 2006-03-20, 03:39
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
quote: Originally posted by kieran1394: Yeah around 3 bucks. As soon as I get some money Ill buy it.
I also have Powermac 5500/250. Are they any good ? I mean, I just found it.
not for anything serious, but it should be adequate for web+emai.
|
|
#15
 2006-03-20, 03:51
|
spodie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
quote: Originally posted by kieran1394: Yeah around 3 bucks. As soon as I get some money Ill buy it.
I also have Powermac 5500/250. Are they any good ? I mean, I just found it.
Yeah, that's a pretty good machine. Max out the RAM on it, install Mac OS 9.1, and go to town with it. Won't run OS X, but will run various Linux distros. I have a 6500/275 sitting beside me running Ubuntu Linux 5.1.0 right this second.
|
|
#16
 2006-03-20, 21:51
|
kieran1394 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
I was going to put OS 7 and trick that out (system7today.com interested me in this). Is there any faults in that PowerMac model (Like the 5300 powerbook) ?
|
|
#17
 2006-03-20, 22:39
|
spodie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
If you're looking into a 5300, read this.
|
|
#18
 2006-03-20, 22:45
|
spodie 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Mac Experts, please help.
...and yes, System 7.6.1 is still a damn fine OS, IMHO. It will get you on the internet, will run professional apps just fine, and will be completely immune to spyware and viruses. It takes very little memory to run it � last time I checked, it used 10-12 MB.
System 8 was all right, but there was just too much butter on the toast for my liking. Too many bells and whistles that were unneeded for everyday tasks. I have customers that still run System 7 and will until the day they die.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|