About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Technophiliacs & Technophiles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technophiliacs & Technophiles The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. How to write HTML. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-06, 22:41
Skankinsasquatch Skankinsasquatch is offline
Regular
 
Default Fedora Core 5

Has anyone had experience with Test 3? Is it any good? I don't particularly feel like waiting for the 15th even though it is just a few days away and I was wondering what the general opinion on the non-stable releases is.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-06, 22:59
Geek Geek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

All I know is that its coming out, and I'm getting it. So this post is absolutely worthless.
 #3 
Old 2006-03-07, 02:04
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

I'm running Fedora Core 5 test 3 on two dual processor machines behind me. Your question is rather vague.

quote:

Is it any good?
I was wondering what the general opinion on the non-stable releases is.


What are you wondering in particular?
 #4 
Old 2006-03-07, 02:32
Geek Geek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by BiOPSY:
What are you wondering in particular?


I think he just wants to know the pros/cons, mostly cons, of it. Just a guess though.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-07, 02:44
smokeymcpot420 smokeymcpot420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

Damn, I still use FC3...
 #6 
Old 2006-03-07, 04:12
Lundmark Lundmark is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

its unstable....
 #7 
Old 2006-03-15, 03:00
Geek Geek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

Damn't. I just checked the Fedora Core website and they changed the official release date from the 15th to the 20th.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-15, 03:44
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by Geek:
Damn't. I just checked the Fedora Core website and they changed the official release date from the 15th to the 20th.


That schedule is by no means official.
A target date is always set, this doesn't mean that on that day, something will be released for sure.

Fedora Core doesn't work like that.
They'll fix critical bugs and gather everything needed for an Official release.

Besides Anaconda and yum, and the other Python tools provided in Fedora Core, there are probably 300 or more *new* packages from Core 4 to 5.

Fedora Core is rapidly developing, they don't release just anything, trust me, if they needed 5 days, they aren't doing it out of laziness, they are doing it out of need.

Though, I just wanted to state that, it does say preliminary, and if you know what preliminary means, it could say the 20th, and be released never. You don't know until it is released. Those dates are not official they are target dates for developers to go by.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-15, 03:49
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

To make myself clear about Anaconda, it is moving to using a yum backend, which is capable of using actual repositories along side a standard distribution tree for installations, this unifies the format of release trees, installation media, and repository trees. Very useful indeed, and it isn't a simple 3 line patch.
 #10 
Old 2006-03-15, 07:03
chubbyman25 chubbyman25 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by BiOPSY:
To make myself clear about Anaconda, it is moving to using a yum backend, which is capable of using actual repositories along side a standard distribution tree for installations, this unifies the format of release trees, installation media, and repository trees. Very useful indeed, and it isn't a simple 3 line patch.
I have a friend that goes to my college that designed yum. He donated it to RedHat for use in their distros. They took it and slapped the name of one of their people on it, and put my friend's name in the contributers part, even though he programed the entire thing. This guy was insanely smart, he got a 36 on the ACT the first time, got fives on all his AP tests (he took about a dozen of them) and was on a full paid scholarship. After that little incident, he quit contributing to the linux project at all.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-15, 12:35
Geek Geek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

Yeah I know BiOPSY, it was just so close.

 #12 
Old 2006-03-15, 19:52
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by chubbyman25:
I have a friend that goes to my college that designed yum.


Unless your friend's name is Seth Vidal, you are full of fucking shit son.
quote:

He donated it to RedHat for use in their distros. They took it and slapped the name of one of their people on it, and put my friend's name in the contributers part, even though he programed the entire thing.



I take that back, you are a complete retarded son of a bitch. Yum is Yellowdog Updater Modified, it wasn't donated to Redhat.

It was originally Yellowdog Linux's update utility. Nobody donated shit to Redhat about yum.

You fucking moron.
 #13 
Old 2006-03-20, 01:30
anthra22 anthra22 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

It's here: http://tinyurl.com/gofr6 http://tinyurl.com/gefte

there is almost always too many users connected

[This message has been edited by anthra22 (edited 03-20-2006).]
 #14 
Old 2006-03-20, 01:41
Geek Geek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by anthra22:
there is almost always too many users connected



Yeah.

I'll wait until its officially posted on their website and some torrents get started.
 #15 
Old 2006-03-20, 03:45
z3r0 c001 z3r0 c001 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

How good do you think the upgrade ability will be? And when I say that I mean will it be the same old shit that it was before where just about every application that I had was in stupid fucking places that were renamed or just unfindable.
 #16 
Old 2006-03-20, 06:21
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by z3r0 c001:
How good do you think the upgrade ability will be? And when I say that I mean will it be the same old shit that it was before where just about every application that I had was in stupid fucking places that were renamed or just unfindable.


You're a stupid fucking shit for not knowing how to use the softwware, is what it will be.

If you actually read an rpm manual or click Places > Search for files you would know where shit is.

It is nobodies fucking fault you installed Linux and expected c:\Documents and Settings to be there, you fucking twit.
 #17 
Old 2006-03-20, 06:54
z3r0 c001 z3r0 c001 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

Holy shit man, you really need to get a girl or something. Your love for linux is getting plain pathetic. It was a simple question that needed a simple answer not you going all out on how good linux is again. I actually had quite a bit more to say but I thought that I would be the better man here and stop it before you started another major rant on linux
 #18 
Old 2006-03-20, 07:09
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by z3r0 c001:
Holy shit man, you really need to get a girl or something. Your love for linux is getting plain pathetic. It was a simple question that needed a simple answer not you going all out on how good linux is again. I actually had quite a bit more to say but I thought that I would be the better man here and stop it before you started another major rant on linux


Holy shit man, you really should rethink your strategy of fucking put-downs. Too fucking bad you suck at making jokes about people, even if I didn't have a chick I'd still be able to knock the hell out of you on a bad day.

I am also studying as a Unix Systems Administrator, you can say all the shit you want, and it won't phase me nigger.

I love Linux cause it's my goddamn school and job you fucking retarded twat.
 #19 
Old 2006-03-20, 07:22
z3r0 c001 z3r0 c001 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by BiOPSY:
You can say all the shit you want, and it won't phase me nigger.
twat.



Likewise, and this is growing tedious, although I still think you were molested by Bill Gates...and resulting to e-violence BiOSPY? I thought you were better than that. But I do respect you skills with Linux.

[This message has been edited by z3r0 c001 (edited 03-20-2006).]
 #20 
Old 2006-03-20, 07:52
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

quote:
Originally posted by z3r0 c001:
Likewise, and this is growing tedious, although I still think you were molested by Bill Gates...and resulting to e-violence BiOSPY? I thought you were better than that. But I do respect you skills with Linux.



You can seriously kiss my ass you little freak.
 #21 
Old 2006-03-20, 09:00
Regular
 
Tukwila, WA, USA
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

Get this back on topic, or I'm closing it.
 #22 
Old 2006-03-20, 12:13
Regular
 
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Default Re: Fedora Core 5

Fedora Core 5 is available via torrent and several mirrors worldwide.

Here are the links: http://torrent.fedoraproject.org http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/mirrors.html

Some mirrors may still be closed depending on timezone.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics