About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > ... and Rock and Roll
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

... and Rock and Roll All things music and music related. Listening, Buying, Selling, Making, or Breaking. Recording, mixing, sequencing, and amplifying. What tech to use and how to use it to make music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-01-24, 00:59
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Since it seems like I find a handful of these questions scattered around, I'll make a thread, and try to answer questions, or help out.

This has to do with anyone electonic music production related. This includes everything from synthesisers, hardware, software, compression, effects, ADSR envelopes, mixing, mastering, filters, EQ, MIDI, and what to stick in your rack.

Admitedly, I don't know everything, but I do know quite abit, and I'll try to help anyone with any questions they might have.

"How do I make good techno" or "Where do I download FruityLoops" is not a question. Something specific you're wondering about, post it here, and I'll see what I can do.
 #2 
Old 2006-01-24, 01:57
Ljudska Ljudska is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

you're not Kai Tracid, are you?
 #3 
Old 2006-01-24, 02:04
Regular
 
Chicago
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

kai do u use fruity loops, thats all i got to work with i need 2 turntables and a mixer
 #4 
Old 2006-01-24, 02:04
The Possibility of Bears The Possibility of Bears is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

And if you are looking for some cool shit to try out and give a listen to, I have some great suggestions ranging from IDM to regular old dance.
 #5 
Old 2006-01-24, 03:19
Regular
 
Canberra Australia
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

I want to cut and mix some music i have saved onto my laptop, just to become familiar with things. Can you recommend a good way to ease into it? Eg software (free if its out there).

Also I would like to know if I was to carry a USB HDD around packed with mp3s to hire out to local parties how could i keep it nice and legal?

Last one - Please recommend a good media player to use whilst at parties so you can select what songs you want to play and have them nicely fade in and out into each other as well as being able to pick songs and have them play like i dunno a jukebox.

** Sorry in advance if im asking the wrong questions.
 #6 
Old 2006-01-24, 04:56
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Ljudska:
you're not Kai Tracid, are you?


No.

quote:
Originally posted by Faaip de Oiad:
kai do u use fruity loops, thats all i got to work with i need 2 turntables and a mixer


I have FL Studio 6, yes. I use it mainly to try out my ideas and see what I like, before I turn anything into a full-fledged project. It's easier just to throw down some beats and see what sounds good, than say, Reason or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Trousersnake:
I want to cut and mix some music i have saved onto my laptop, just to become familiar with things. Can you recommend a good way to ease into it? Eg software (free if its out there).


If they're like samples or already made sounds, I'd use Sony Acid.

quote:
Also I would like to know if I was to carry a USB HDD around packed with mp3s to hire out to local parties how could i keep it nice and legal?


It's a big grey area. Technically, it's not legal, but it's unlikely that anyone will do anything, unless you start and official buisness. And just a heads up.. just having a harddrive full of MP3s isn't gonna get you hired out at any parties. Everyone already has a media player.

quote:
Last one - Please recommend a good media player to use whilst at parties so you can select what songs you want to play and have them nicely fade in and out into each other as well as being able to pick songs and have them play like i dunno a jukebox.


Winamp 5. Theres options for crossfading in the playback, and it supports pretty much any filetype.

[This message has been edited by Kai (edited 01-24-2006).]
 #7 
Old 2006-01-24, 05:03
Falcon Falcon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Do you like IDM?
 #8 
Old 2006-01-24, 05:06
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Falcon:
Do you like IDM?


It's ok.. it's not something I'd actually put on and listen to, but if it came on the radio, I wouldn't change the station. I'm a trance fan. And real trance, not like fucking Castles In the Sky and Better Off Alone.
 #9 
Old 2006-01-24, 05:21
Regular
 
Illinois
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Trousersnake:
I want to cut and mix some music i have saved onto my laptop, just to become familiar with things. Can you recommend a good way to ease into it? Eg software (free if its out there).

Also I would like to know if I was to carry a USB HDD around packed with mp3s to hire out to local parties how could i keep it nice and legal?

Last one - Please recommend a good media player to use whilst at parties so you can select what songs you want to play and have them nicely fade in and out into each other as well as being able to pick songs and have them play like i dunno a jukebox.

** Sorry in advance if im asking the wrong questions.




If your looking for free, i recommend Audacity, its freeware and is allmost identical to SoundForge. Google for it, its not hard to find.

Also, i noticed Kai spelled Synthesizers wrong, so i wouldnt listen to anything about hardware synths from him/her
 #10 
Old 2006-01-24, 05:21
Regular
 
Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

I'm currently using Reason 1 and I was wondering if you know of any sites that have good refills for 1 on it?
 #11 
Old 2006-01-24, 05:33
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by oland:
Also, i noticed Kai spelled Synthesizers wrong, so i wouldnt listen to anything about hardware synths from him/her


UK.

quote:
Originally posted by EssJay:
I'm currently using Reason 1 and I was wondering if you know of any sites that have good refills for 1 on it?


For 1? Well, for 3 I actually got a 7 gig refill from torrentspy, all sorts of sounds. It's called "The Ultimate Reason Refill", and it's like a 9 zip archive.
 #12 
Old 2006-01-24, 05:59
Regular
 
Illinois
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

thats seriously how they spell them there? thats pretty nuts. had no idea. sorry

i just assumed that you didnt spell it right that they werent your experteice, but i was wrong.

i guess im pwn3d... ROFFLY MAYO
 #13 
Old 2006-01-24, 08:51
Regular
 
Canberra Australia
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Thanks for the reply Kai

Just for my defense of sorts (Tis ok I'm like this at times)

"...And just a heads up.. just having a harddrive full of MP3s isn't gonna get you hired out at any parties. Everyone already has a media player."

Certainly true, but I don't want to perform at parties. I just hire out the HDD full of tunes for the night. It's like the size of a CD ROM and plugs into USB. Pre Loaded music for the win.
 #14 
Old 2006-01-24, 10:48
Regular
 
Place of the bridge
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

What's the minimum kbps that music should be encoded at? I save my cds onto my pc on WMA lossless, which is 800-1000 kbps, but if I want to upload some, what should I scale it down to for ease of use? I guess I could just rar it or something actually...

[This message has been edited by Shrike (edited 01-24-2006).]
 #15 
Old 2006-01-24, 10:56
EyeSore EyeSore is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

i would recommend itunes before winamp. im more of an apple guy lately (i like my programs to work right). and dont waste time on audacity its shit and you'll just get frustrated quickly...

i've actually got a question of my own though. i'm in a class to teach logic 7 this semester, and have access to a big recording lab. now, we have these new cables that work analog to digital (also apple, so if you dont have an answer i'll understand) and as i hear, the impedance is too low, i think, to do quality vocals. they work fine for guitar, bass, etc. if you use the programs effects built in effects. but my question is... if i have an amp modeler (line 6 pod) would it work to run my guitar into the pod, then the pod direct in to the to cpu via the magic little cable? if so would it be good quality or poor quality? would it be better to run the guitar into the pod into a breakout box and then run that into the cpu's usb? i would like to save desk space, but not at the expense of quality.
 #16 
Old 2006-01-24, 14:43
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Trousersnake:
Certainly true, but I don't want to perform at parties. I just hire out the HDD full of tunes for the night. It's like the size of a CD ROM and plugs into USB. Pre Loaded music for the win.


Yeah, I'd still be careful with it though.. make sure all your tracks are backed up at home.. you know how big of idiots people are.

quote:
Originally posted by Shrike:
What's the minimum kbps that music should be encoded at? I save my cds onto my pc on WMA lossless, which is 800-1000 kbps, but if I want to upload some, what should I scale it down to for ease of use? I guess I could just rar it or something actually...


Zipping audio isn't going to save size. Bitrate is dependant on the Codec used.. for instance, a 70k OGG sounds better than a 192k MP3. For the web, I use -1 or 0 quality OGGs, and 128mp3s because people are idiots and MP3 is more of a "standard". Anything ilke a long DJ session I always encode in OGG because it's a hell of a lot smaller, and the sound quality is a hell of a lot better.

quote:
Originally posted by EyeSore:
i would recommend itunes before winamp. im more of an apple guy lately (i like my programs to work right). and dont waste time on audacity its shit and you'll just get frustrated quickly...


It depends. I recently just ripped all my CDs in Apple Lossless (900-1000kbps for those interested, ~550 megs a CD or so), and I use iTunes as my player for my CD music. I use Winamp as my default media player though, because iTunes wants to fuckin add every damn thing I play to the library, which I don't want. I'm extremely specific on how I want my music organised. So iTunes for my Music CD library, Winamp (default) for all my other media.

quote:
i've actually got a question of my own though. i'm in a class to teach logic 7 this semester, and have access to a big recording lab. now, we have these new cables that work analog to digital (also apple, so if you dont have an answer i'll understand) and as i hear, the impedance is too low, i think, to do quality vocals. they work fine for guitar, bass, etc. if you use the programs effects built in effects. but my question is... if i have an amp modeler (line 6 pod) would it work to run my guitar into the pod, then the pod direct in to the to cpu via the magic little cable? if so would it be good quality or poor quality? would it be better to run the guitar into the pod into a breakout box and then run that into the cpu's usb? i would like to save desk space, but not at the expense of quality.[/b]


I'm not ENTIRELY certain on this, just because of the fact that for one, I'm not too familiar with Apples (Although I'm looking to get a MAC for production work soon), but what I can tell you, basically, is that USB isn't the best for recording.. it's a narrow pipeline, which in a complex recording (like vocals) isn't gonna be able to fit as well thru something like that. It really doesn't matter WHAT you plug in beforehand, as you're still stuck by the limitations of the plug. Your bandwidth is only as big as the narrowest pipeline.

Mainly, I use MIDI over USB, just because it's easy, plug n play, and it can easially handle all the MIDI data that comes in. I've heard recording with FireWire isn't bad, but I've never done it personally.


As far as any other connections on a Mac.. like I said, I'm not too familliar with them, but I always record over what's gonna give you the most bandwidth, usually directly into a soundcard. When I do vocals, it goes from the mic, into the tube preamp (with warmth and a limiter), into a vocal processor, and out into the soundcard. Then I just take the raw recording, and gate it, add delay, chorus, etc.

[This message has been edited by Kai (edited 01-24-2006).]
 #17 
Old 2006-01-24, 16:56
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Have you any experience with 'traktor'?
 #18 
Old 2006-01-24, 17:05
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by ComradeAsh:
Have you any experience with 'traktor'?


I've used it before, but I don't actually have it. From what I've used, it's pretty solid, but it's not something that I personally would use to play. All I use for DJing is 2 turntables and a mixer. If you're gonna use it (or any other software mixer for that matter), I'd get a hardware controller for it.
 #19 
Old 2006-01-24, 20:28
EyeSore EyeSore is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

cool, thanks for the info. i'm going to ask one of my professors about it, he's an apple/tech junkie on the recording side. so when he gets back to me i'll post what he says. i'm not really a techie so i don't know a lot about bandwidth and impedence and all that jazz, its all a little over my head.
 #20 
Old 2006-01-24, 21:25
Regular
 
Springfield, Ohio
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

I hate to sound like an asshole, but it has become very clear to me from past one one on one conversations with 'Kai', that he has very littl personal hands on experience with the subjects he listed in the original post.

When did you become an expert in ANY of the things you mentioned?

Last time I talked to you you didn't even have the slightest idea what exactly a real stereo mix was.

I really don't mean this as a put down - I just think you should be more fair to the people replying to this thread and tell them what your exact level of experience, particular in specific hardware and software that you have worked with.

Maybe things have changed, but last time I talked to you, I don't even think you had much in the way of real hardware synthesizers, equalizers, ie - anything aside from what is SIMULATED (not completely, or necessarily well) in programs like Reason.

quote:
i've actually got a question of my own though. i'm in a class to teach logic 7 this semester, and have access to a big recording lab. now, we have these new cables that work analog to digital (also apple, so if you dont have an answer i'll understand) and as i hear, the impedance is too low, i think, to do quality vocals. they work fine for guitar, bass, etc. if you use the programs effects built in effects. but my question is... if i have an amp modeler (line 6 pod) would it work to run my guitar into the pod, then the pod direct in to the to cpu via the magic little cable? if so would it be good quality or poor quality? would it be better to run the guitar into the pod into a breakout box and then run that into the cpu's usb? i would like to save desk space, but not at the expense of quality.[/b]


I have some issues to take up with the reply to this. USB CAN work very well. Before I began using a laptop for my studio space, I used a desktop with USB 2.0. If your operating system is configured properly, then its quite possible to do even simultaneous multitrack recording at high levels of quality. Your bandwidth coming into your computer is not the only factor in this. How your software writes audio to the hard drive is just as important. The default way Windows and Mac OS are set up often puts data (physically) on the disk in diffrent locations, even if its meant to be played togther. That together can slow things down enormously.

But if bandwidth is your game, forget about UCB or Firewire, if you have a laptop - take advantage of those very powerful PCMCIA interfaces! I use mine for 8 track recording now (8 stereo tracks), in conjunction with recording multiple MIDI inputs, often with software effects and processing going on.

Also. something that will help immensley is using ASIO instead of DirectX... much faster!

Unless you have a soundcard that is designed for it, you should NEVER record something straight into that old 1/8" microphone input, it just isnt a good idea.
 #21 
Old 2006-01-24, 22:56
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by sambob:
When did you become an expert in ANY of the things you mentioned?


I'm not an expert, I said that at the start. I just said that I know quite abit about the subjects offhand. Notwithstanding the fact that I'm working towards an Associates degree in Recording Arts.

quote:
Last time I talked to you you didn't even have the slightest idea what exactly a real stereo mix was.


More specifically, I didn't know where the plugin was for stereo enhancement in FL Studio 4.1, but yeah, I'm well aware of stereo mixing.

quote:
Maybe things have changed, but last time I talked to you, I don't even think you had much in the way of real hardware synthesizers, equalizers, ie - anything aside from what is SIMULATED (not completely, or necessarily well) in programs like Reason.


I know how soft synths work, I know how real synths work. I know what an ADSR envelope is and how to work it, I know about LFOs, filters, different waveforms and how they cancel each other out. I know about anologue synths and grain synths. I'll admit that I'm not the proverbial Jesus of synths, but I know how they work, and how to manipulate them to program timbres.

quote:
But if bandwidth is your game, forget about UCB or Firewire, if you have a laptop - take advantage of those very powerful PCMCIA interfaces! I use mine for 8 track recording now (8 stereo tracks), in conjunction with recording multiple MIDI inputs, often with software effects and processing going on.


Of course, the best thing to get is a seperate (PCI or PCMCIA) card for recording, and they make cards specicially for that reason (which, I actually want an apple laptop with a PCMCIA card for recording). I was just stating that yeah, it's possible, and I'm certainly not saying it isn't doable, I was just stating that if you have a better connection, I'd use that first.
 #22 
Old 2006-01-24, 23:08
heisler2 heisler2 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
how they cancel each other out.


I'd be interested in learning that.
 #23 
Old 2006-01-25, 00:47
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by heisler2:
I'd be interested in learning that.


Hoo boy.. it can get really complicated, but I'll try to explain the basics. This is assuming you have some knowledge of waveforms and/or sine waves specifically.


Two waves entirely (180 degrees) out of phase cancel each other out, resulting in no sound. In basic synthesis, to create other wave forms (triangles, squares, saws, etc), other waves are layed on a basic sine wave to modify it. These waves are layed at various frequencies and times, to form the wave. This relates to acoustics as well, hence why you'll get weird sorts of phasing depending on the environment your music is played in.

For instance, if you take a smaller since wave of higher hertz, and overlay it, you will begin to square out the first wave. Here's a picture. Ignore the formulas. I'll explain the image: The column on the left is what wave is added, the column on the right is the result. As the waves hit each other, they begin to cancel each other out (similar to phasing a track). However, since these waves aren't exactly 180 out of phase, they dont cancel each other.. instead, they modify the wave. By overlaying smaller, faster waves to a sine wave, it shapes the sine wave into a square shape, resulting in a square wave. Of course, a square wave actually consists of N different waves being used to square out the signal, not just 3.

That's your basic wave theory. Using that, you can make saws, triangles, square waves, and your usual sine waves. Most synthesisers have these as voltage controlled presets, so it's not entirely neccessary to know about them in synthesis, but it always helps to know, especially in referance to acoustics. The best example is a phaser, when it slightly misaligns the waveforms, resulting in a weird, "tube" sound.

[This message has been edited by Kai (edited 01-25-2006).]
 #24 
Old 2006-02-13, 01:32
Binary Pirate Binary Pirate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Maybe you can help me out...asuming you are familier with Traktor (3) and know a good amount about soundcards.

I recently got an m-audio dual channel soundcard. Anyway I can't get 2 differnt channels playing in Traktor, how do I setup the options in Traktor to make it have 2 channels? I can't hear fuck all through my monitors.
 #25 
Old 2006-02-13, 03:28
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

What card did you get? The Audiophile?
 #26 
Old 2006-02-14, 12:24
ftwchriso ftwchriso is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Kai, I listened to most of the bands you suggested in my thread. Thanks!!

I just listened to Ferry Corstens' song, Punk. And I loved it. Now Prodigy and stuff are pretty much beats. But I liked this because I could imagine myself on E to it...You know I could do that with all songs, but this seemed so fucken good...

So what music is like his?
 #27 
Old 2006-02-14, 16:11
Slurm Slurm is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

This is not Something Awful.
 #28 
Old 2006-02-15, 01:36
Binary Pirate Binary Pirate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Ferry Corsten usualy plays trance I belive...although the song Punk is more electro than anything. Great artist, anyway check out infected mushroom...pretty much anything by them (although I suggest the albums IM the supervisor). Picture yourself listening to that on acid or mushrooms..heh.

Anyway my audio card is an M-audio audiophile, 2496.
 #29 
Old 2006-02-15, 03:28
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by ftwchriso:
Kai, I listened to most of the bands you suggested in my thread. Thanks!!

I just listened to Ferry Corstens' song, Punk. And I loved it. Now Prodigy and stuff are pretty much beats. But I liked this because I could imagine myself on E to it...You know I could do that with all songs, but this seemed so fucken good...

So what music is like his?



Yeah, Ferry Corsten is generally more Trance.. if you liked Punk though, check out..

Benny Benassi - Love Is Gonna Save Us & Satisfcation
Mr Deviant - Techno Obsession
Paul van Dyk - Travelling
Underworld - Dark & Long (Dark Train)

These next few are gonna be REALLY hit or miss.. depending on what ELSE you listen to.

R�yksopp - Only This Moment
Ti�sto - Traffic
Sasha - Boilerroom
Way Out West - Killa (Orkedias Mix)

quote:
Originally posted by Binary Pirate:

Anyway my audio card is an M-audio audiophile, 2496.



Hm... now, I'll tell you that right now, I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't fucked around with Traktor that much.. I mean, I've used it, but I've never actually set it up or configured it before.

So, you can hear your mix, but not your moniters, right? First thing I'd try is seeing if you can swap it, so you can hear your (outputted) mix on your moniters. Adjust the soundcard settings. At least this way you know how the main mix is getting outputted. I'd also check Traktors sound setup.. somewhere there should be your output settings, where you can adjust your soundcards and what-not. I had mine outputted so my onboard was to my moniters and my soundcard was to the mix.


It's probably not going to be TOO much help to you, but I remember I had the same problems setting up my soundcard with Virtual DJ and that's what I ended up trying.

[This message has been edited by Kai (edited 02-15-2006).]
 #30 
Old 2006-02-16, 07:50
Steve Steve is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Hey Kai, I was wondering if you could help me identify a song from the vague description I'm about to give. It gets played on the radio every now and then recently, and I *think* it was on a Ministry of Sound album just recently. It has female vocals all the way through that are kind of hard to understand, the only word I can firmly make out is "revolution". It also has a bass part that is pretty cool...its easily recognisable by this part but I can't describe it.

Any leads would be great.
 #31 
Old 2006-02-16, 12:02
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Haha, it's a little too vague for me. I'm not a huge fan of MoS either, to tell you the truth.
 #32 
Old 2006-02-18, 03:18
Metaflux Metaflux is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Yo! it's me again! Looks like your always one step ahead of me! The other day I had the idea to post an "electronic music producton help" thread for people to help each other out and what not. But it looks like im a bit late on that one.

Well I don't really have a question but I want to here some your your music. And anybody else out there I really enjoy listening to people's music particularly electronic so lets see the links!!!
 #33 
Old 2006-02-18, 03:25
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Here's my "band" site: http://myspace.com/preamp

Here's my FTP with some mid 90's euro/trance songs. http://mindsdesire.net/kai/music/
 #34 
Old 2006-02-19, 00:59
Hazey Hazey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Oh man, okay Kai, I fucking love your stuff you got on Myspace, but your website with all your music? Oh fuck, man. Some of the worst 90's Euro-Trance I've seen. Some of the worst trance I've seen in actuality, period.

But really, the stuff on your Myspace kicks some serious ass. *Adds you* Hit me up on AIM sometime, I'll fill you full of some good Electronica, and you can return the favor if you want. I have three computers, with like .. 60gigs on each. Haha.

AIM: JunglistHallu
 #35 
Old 2006-02-28, 21:54
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Oh! I just found out about the Traktor soundcard thing.

Preferances > Audio Setup > Output Routing


From there you can change which output goes where... booth, moniters, record or master.

Haha, I was messing around with Traktor and FS and found that option and remembered this thread :P
 #36 
Old 2006-03-11, 03:44
Regular
 
Administrator
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Bastard...I want FS! lol.
 #37 
Old 2006-03-11, 06:02
Loc Dogg Loc Dogg is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Why is it so hard to find German Trance Alliance music? Not much on teh internet, and I can't find it in stores. I like Nightmare 2001. I made a little edit of it to soothe personal.....humour urges.

EDIT: German.

[This message has been edited by Loc Dogg (edited 03-11-2006).]
 #38 
Old 2006-03-11, 06:18
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

One of my friends is a German Trance Alliance addict, so if I need anything I just yell at him :P
 #39 
Old 2006-03-11, 07:56
Metaflux Metaflux is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
Here's my "band" site: http://myspace.com/preamp

Here's my FTP with some mid 90's euro/trance songs. http://mindsdesire.net/kai/music/



Hey!! I like it!!!

edit: Here is a rough copy of what i'm working on write now, it's an instrumental hip-hop beat. I suggest just downlading the mp3 because the "hi-fi" playback stream is always lagging for me.

Besides obvious details can you suggest anything kai, or who ever?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=482593

Iv'e updated my account with a new song since I last asked for help so check it out

[This message has been edited by Metaflux (edited 03-11-2006).]
 #40 
Old 2006-03-11, 11:59
Loc Dogg Loc Dogg is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
One of my friends is a German Trance Alliance addict, so if I need anything I just yell at him :P


lucky fuck. i got like 3 of their songs, and i got em like YEARS AGO. and i still love it. hook me up man, any torrrents? ill have a gander.
 #41 
Old 2006-03-12, 09:41
PyroHydroSmok PyroHydroSmok is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
Of course, the best thing to get is a seperate (PCI or PCMCIA) card for recording, and they make cards specicially for that reason (which, I actually want an apple laptop with a PCMCIA card for recording). I was just stating that yeah, it's possible, and I'm certainly not saying it isn't doable, I was just stating that if you have a better connection, I'd use that first.


W** to l** do*n t** pw*.

EDIT: ARGH I HAVE TO BITE MY TOUNGE!


[This message has been edited by PyroHydroSmok (edited 03-12-2006).]
 #42 
Old 2006-03-12, 22:11
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Metaflux:
Hey!! I like it!!!

edit: Here is a rough copy of what i'm working on write now, it's an instrumental hip-hop beat. I suggest just downlading the mp3 because the "hi-fi" playback stream is always lagging for me.

Besides obvious details can you suggest anything kai, or who ever?
[URL=http: //www.soun dclick.com /bands/pag emusic.cfm ?bandID=48 2593]http: //www.soun dclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=482593[/URL]

Iv'e updated my account with a new song since I last asked for help so check it out




Here's what I'd do.

I'd replace that string you've got at the start, it sounds too fake.

Increase the release on your kick just a HAIR.

And, what I'd do is, I'd make your strings louder, but put a side chain compressor between them and the kick drum, to keep them from overpowering the rest of the track.

I'd add a SMEAR of reverb around your main synths too, and the claps that come in near the end, and I'd kick your bass down just a tad when it comes in, as it's kinda overpowering near the start.

Other than that, sounds good.. I like the rhythm.
 #43 
Old 2006-03-13, 00:19
Neurotoxin Neurotoxin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

How Important is it to have an expensive soundcard of sorts?

I'm currently just using the onboard soundmax device which has been doing fine, that with the ASIO drivers gives me minimal ms between the midi and programs. I don't find myself needing to wire in any external hardware now or anytime soon or even outputting to a different stereo system.

I've spoken to a friend about it who said a better soundcard allows higher khz. Which at the time of producing makes it easier to tell how one sound is blending against another then the standard 44. Easier to tell how frequency levels are really sitting?

Is there any real justification to the spending just for that? Also how reliant on the monitors would this possible advantage be?
 #44 
Old 2006-03-14, 18:40
Regular
 
KING SHYSTER
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum13/HTML/015614.html

Am looking into getting some lights/ cool display thing... to look, and trip out to.

Alittle/ alot of help would be awesome. I know nothing of these, so where do i start.
 #45 
Old 2006-03-14, 23:56
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

I don't own any lights, but if I was going to get some, I have a local place that I can go to to get them... I'd try musiciansfriend (I think they carry them), or, maybe if you can find a closeout (like a club is shutting down) on eBay..

Also, a lot of independant DJs carry things like that.. if they're selling their decks, you should ask if they've got anything else for sale
 #46 
Old 2006-03-17, 08:33
Metaflux Metaflux is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
Here's what I'd do.

I'd replace that string you've got at the start, it sounds too fake.

Increase the release on your kick just a HAIR.

And, what I'd do is, I'd make your strings louder, but put a side chain compressor between them and the kick drum, to keep them from overpowering the rest of the track.

I'd add a SMEAR of reverb around your main synths too, and the claps that come in near the end, and I'd kick your bass down just a tad when it comes in, as it's kinda overpowering near the start.

Other than that, sounds good.. I like the rhythm.



Hell ya, thanks for the reply i'll post the final copy soon!
 #47 
Old 2006-03-18, 07:56
DMT DMT is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

here's a quick question--is there a softsynth that trumps both reason and FL for making IDM? and which of those two, in your humble opinion, is more advanced in terms of features?

cheers
 #48 
Old 2006-03-18, 09:35
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

m
quote:
Originally posted by DMT:
here's a quick question--is there a softsynth that trumps both reason and FL for making IDM? and which of those two, in your humble opinion, is more advanced in terms of features?

cheers



First off, a softsynth? I've always referred to a SoftSynth as like a single synth, or a VST/DXi plugin (Sytrus, Maelstrom, Blockfish, Rapture, etc).

If you're talking about like production software (I know there's a better name that I'm missing), then I've got a few suggestions.

Over FL vs Reason, I'd take Reason anyday. It's far more powerful, but on the downside, it is far harder to use, especially for beginners. But for IDM specifically?


Project from FL 6: http://mindsdesire.net/kai/tzachitx.mp3

Project from Reason 3: http://mindsdesire.net/kai/music/SGX%20-%20Kick%20Your%20A.mp3


Personally though, I like Cakewalk Project 5 (although I'm still getting the hang of it, it's alot different than Reason or FL), because it supports VST/DXi plugins (like Cakewalk Rapture, which owns). So, that's my software of choice. I mainly run that, Reason, Live, and sometimes ACID if I need to work with samples. I've got a LOT more software, like Cubase, Sonar, and Audition, but I never seem to use it.
 #49 
Old 2006-03-19, 20:16
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

Hi, good thread by the way.

I want to get started in making electronic music. I've 'acquired' a copy of Reason 3, and have mostly got the hang of it.

I'm just wondering if there's any way you can import, say, a wav file as a sample and, if so, how to trigger it. I mean, there's samplers and things in there, but I've read the docs and can't seem to get 'em to do much.

I downloaded hydrogen drum machine as well, which seems fairly easy to use. You can import wavs as drum sounds, so I can use that to do samples and the like, but there are no fancy effects or anything nice like that, whereas Reason 3 has all that and more!

Thanks in advance for any help,
L.
 #50 
Old 2006-03-19, 20:57
Kai Kai is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

If you want to play a single WAV, just load the sample into the NN19 or NNXT.

The thing with those samplers are, is that they're made to go across the whole spectrum.. like a sample of a piano or something. You just need to load your sample into one note (like middle C), and then to fire it off, just press that key.
 #51 
Old 2006-03-19, 21:17
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ask Kai about electronic music help thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Kai:
If you want to play a single WAV, just load the sample into the NN19 or NNXT.

The thing with those samplers are, is that they're made to go across the whole spectrum.. like a sample of a piano or something. You just need to load your sample into one note (like middle C), and then to fire it off, just press that key.



I think I tried loading wavs into them before but couldn't work out how. I'll try again now.

I think the reason why I wasn't getting very far with Reason before is that I don't have a midi keyboard. I was just using the matrix pattern editor to make some vague melodies, but they weren't very good. I'm trying to install a software keyboard now.

EDIT: PAGE 2!!! Sorry, this is a rare occasion for me.

[This message has been edited by landfill (edited 03-19-2006).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics