About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-17, 16:43
glitched glitched is offline
Regular
 
Default magnesium lifes friend

i have mag and al. and i just light it with a lighter and i have day again. those of you that have burned it you know what i mean. i want to make a good use of it because it takes a while to ignite and is a hassle give me ideas
 #2 
Old 2006-03-17, 16:49
Moderator
 
Professional Bastard
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

You need to add an oxidizer. Also, the smaller the granule size of your fuel the faster it will burn and the more readily it will ignite, due to increased surface area.

Read up a little, though.
 #3 
Old 2006-03-17, 18:25
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

If you got your hands on some Iron oxide, you could make thermite with your aluminium. (im assuming its powdered.)

Then use the Magnesium as a fuse.
 #4 
Old 2006-03-17, 21:36
Moderator
 
I live in Heresy
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

Err, I seem to have misplaced my thrusty Engrish dictionnairy ...
 #5 
Old 2006-03-17, 21:44
asilentbob asilentbob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

I'm sorry, i can't understand you, perhaps you could try a little harder.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-18, 00:50
kwstag kwstag is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

I think he's asking for a starting mix..... Try.......... some KNO3/C/S ratios found on pyroteknix' site somewhere.... under the thermite section... or come KClO3+Sucrose.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-18, 01:53
Dream of the iris Dream of the iris is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

quote:
Originally posted by asilentbob:
I'm sorry, i can't understand you, perhaps you could try a little harder.


Yeah, if it takes two times to understand what you wrote, you need to write more clearly.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-18, 06:16
1 4 the 4 1 1 1 4 the 4 1 1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

Hmmm, I understand what he means, despite his poor grammar. His magnesium is probably is a chips or ribbon form, and I bet his aluminum is too. Yes, aluminum is a pain in the ass to light, alone. Study basic principles of chemistry, surface area, dumbass, surface area! I use what I call a thermal rise cord to ignite my termite. I use BP, BP3+Mg2, MG2+KNO3, MG alone. I use them in that order. But yeah. I'd use some of that to ignite your Al+Mg Mix. Otherwise, if you Mg isn't small enough, it takes forever to burn, and sometimes only single pieces of Mg DO burn, and do not ignite the rest. Buy a mortar and pestle. And a ball mill.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-18, 18:07
Regular
 
Planet Earth
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

FYI, Mg is not diatomic, so when you write a chemical equation with it it's just "Mg" not "Mg2" like you would with a diatomic chem like hydrogen (always H2)
 #10 
Old 2006-03-18, 18:37
Moderator
 
I live in Heresy
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

I think that he's -in his own perception of logic- describing his personal ratios. Alike shimizu, one might add.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-19, 00:05
maximusg maximusg is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

Yeah, the element "BP" isn't triatomic either...

It's just ratios man
 #12 
Old 2006-03-19, 01:30
AreteVeteran AreteVeteran is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend



???


~Arete
 #13 
Old 2006-03-19, 01:32
smokeymcpot420 smokeymcpot420 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: magnesium lifes friend

quote:
Originally posted by maximusg:
Yeah, the element "BP"....


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics