|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Politics: Left, Right, and Center National, state, regional, and local politics. Who's doing what to whom, and what you can do about it. How-to-get-action messages are encouraged. "How the government fucked up my life" stories are encouraged. Sharing new methods for cheating on taxes is encouraged. Sample "letters to congresscritters" are encouraged. Apathy and "I can't do anything" posts are discouraged. Left, right, centrist, or any other form of political-economic systems are all up for discussion. Be prepared to defend yourself, or at least have a good line of bullshit ready. Extensive quoting of economists and philosophers is frowned upon. We want to hear what YOU have to say, not what some constipated, impotent, dead guy dreamt up while suffering from the DT's over a hundred years ago thought. |
 |
|
#1
 2006-03-15, 20:43
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
I'm going to become an American!
I've decided that I want my children to grow up in The United States of America! I'm a born Canadian, and most of you guys are gonna call me crazy, but there are just so many things I find attractive about the states. I'll immigrate when I'm 18. Thoughts?
Oh yeah, gimme some answers to the test.
|
|
#2
 2006-03-15, 20:53
|
Niggers_With_Attitude 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
you're a retard
|
|
#3
 2006-03-15, 20:56
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Oh, Guess what...STFU.
|
|
#4
 2006-03-15, 20:58
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by diehard993: I've decided that I want my children to grow up in The United States of America! I'm a born Canadian, and most of you guys are gonna call me crazy, but there are just so many things I find attractive about the states. I'll immigrate when I'm 18. Thoughts?
Oh yeah, gimme some answers to the test.
Congratulations. I wish you the best of luck. You can get test books that will help you with the citizenship test. The biggest barrier in testing is the English language, and being Canadian you have that down pat. Most of the stuff is fairly simple if you know something about the structure of our government and the history of the North American continent.
|
|
#5
 2006-03-15, 20:58
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Poor guy.
|
|
#6
 2006-03-15, 23:34
|
hellis 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Knock your self out, and good riddence.
|
|
#7
 2006-03-16, 00:23
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Congrats, come be with the best of us.
|
|
#8
 2006-03-16, 00:50
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
First off, thanks alot for the support Sephiroth. Secondly, yes, vazilizaitsev89, I intend to. Is there any specific part of the country you recommend me visit (get a feel for) before attempting to gain citezenship. I want to know this because I would have to obtain residence for 5 years in one specific state. I'm thinking a big city like New York. Pros/cons?
|
|
#9
 2006-03-16, 01:06
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by diehard993: First off, thanks alot for the support Sephiroth. Secondly, yes, vazilizaitsev89, I intend to. Is there any specific part of the country you recommend me visit (get a feel for) before attempting to gain citezenship. I want to know this because I would have to obtain residence for 5 years in one specific state. I'm thinking a big city like New York. Pros/cons?
New York is a great place to visit, not live. N.E. pennsylvania is a great place to live. Also check out the south, very nice down there. Its all up you. I've just got one for you, I've heard that universal health care is actually very bad, is that true??
|
|
#10
 2006-03-16, 02:47
|
book em dano 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Of course places like NYC and California look all glamorous, but those places suck. Do some research first. Places with housing shortages always have really high apartment rent. In New York it's like $1800 for a tiny one room apartment in a shitty neighborhood.
Anyways, good luck with gaining citizenship.
|
|
#11
 2006-03-16, 02:51
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Thats why I said its a great place to visit. And to the thread starter, Im not exactly sure whats on the citizenship test, this book MIGHT help, Idiots guide to American government.
|
|
#12
 2006-03-16, 07:03
|
dead_people_killer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
The cost of living in a big city is not something you really want to deal with unless you have to, I know, I lived in L.A.
I now live in southern Georgia, and while it isnt as exciting, its a hell of a lot more affordable.
|
|
#13
 2006-03-16, 07:18
|
MexWanker 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Great decision. As any sane person knows, America is a great place to live and especially work. There is a reason why America continues to have the most immigrants emigrating from their home countries to the good ol' USA.
As for where you want to live.
First, what type of income do you expect? That should weigh very heavily into your decision. As others have said, some places are much more expensive than others.
Do you like a bustling, vibrant environment or a buccolic, rustic environment?
Do you like the West Coast (more easy-going, greater diversity, liberal), the Midwest (homogeneous white population, conservative), or the East Coast (snobby, liberal, mostly white)?
What type of job do you want? The U.S has a very diverse job market and different areas are great for specific jobs.
Edit: The citizenship test, from what I hear, is pretty easy. The English test would be a breeze because you're Canadian and you probably know enough about American politics already (I'm assuming, you guys learn about U.S. history right?).
[This message has been edited by MexWanker (edited 03-16-2006).]
|
|
#14
 2006-03-16, 08:13
|
Nephtys-Ra 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Canada...
That's part of America, right?
|
|
#15
 2006-03-16, 12:27
|
Fascistsmasher 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
If you want one specific state to visit, I would suggest Minnesota. We have one of the nations highest per capita incomes (56+K), low cost of living, diverse regions (Liberal Twin cities and Duluth, Conservative middle, and more Libertarian in the other areas). Generally we also have lower crime rates and enjoy greater degrees of freedom than other states. Beware though, Minnesota has a history as a liberal state for a reason... we are one of the Few states that would probably not outlaw abortion were Roe V. Wade to be overturned. We also have the highest percentage of people with college degrees... and the future continues to look bright (providing Pawlenty is booted out this year).
Honestly, while America does have its downsides it is still one of the worlds greatest countries. You will see me complain about many things... and yes, much is wrong. But, America still stands among historys best.
|
|
#16
 2006-03-16, 14:16
|
TerminatorVinitiatoR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
don't do it. having an american passport is a death sentance in many parts of the world.
look at the 4 christian peacemaker hostages, american one was killed instantly, the canadians and british are just roughed up a bit (possibly killed later) while the irish/french/german ones are set free.
|
|
#17
 2006-03-16, 15:26
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by vazilizaitsev89: New York is a great place to visit, not live. N.E. pennsylvania is a great place to live. Also check out the south, very nice down there. Its all up you. I've just got one for you, I've heard that universal health care is actually very bad, is that true??
Yeah man, Health care is fucked up, even around here. We have free healthcare, but we also have a doctor shortage, which means you could die while waiting 6 months for treatment. MexWanker: I'd like to live on the east coast. This is due, in part, because I've lived my whole life on the Atlantic ocean (nova scotia). I'd also like to live in a FUCKING URBAN METROPOLIS WOOT! That's why I'm thinking New York. Mabye Philly. I've just always had an affinity for New York. If I move to NYC, I'll probably live in the shitiest white neighborhood I can find in the shitiest borough. I'm not fucking living in Jersey. EDIT: Mabye Bensonhurst. Mostly Italians, Irish and Germans right? I hear it's a high-density, lower-class area?[This message has been edited by diehard993 (edited 03-16-2006).]
|
|
#18
 2006-03-16, 16:21
|
Niggers_With_Attitude 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
come to iowa city you'll love it here. lots of hot college sluts and parties. affordable housing too
|
|
#19
 2006-03-16, 16:26
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
If you want NYC, I'd reccomend Crown Heights in Brooklyn. It's pretty low cost, and very very safe, so long as you stay to the one side of the neighbourhood. Crown heights is half-black, half-Hassidic Jewish. On the black side, it's not safe to walk through with money, on the Jewish side it's not safe to walk through without money, unless you want to be accosted by charity givers and people who want you to come to dinner at their house and meet their Uncle Moishe. You could probably get a job as a Shabbos goy easy.
|
|
#20
 2006-03-16, 16:38
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by Sephiroth: If you want NYC, I'd reccomend Crown Heights in Brooklyn. It's pretty low cost, and very very safe, so long as you stay to the one side of the neighbourhood. Crown heights is half-black, half-Hassidic Jewish. On the black side, it's not safe to walk through with money, on the Jewish side it's not safe to walk through without money, unless you want to be accosted by charity givers and people who want you to come to dinner at their house and meet their Uncle Moishe. You could probably get a job as a Shabbos goy easy.
Shabbos goy? By means of making money: I hear that jobs in New York pay quite well due to the high costs of living. I'll probably end up getting a meaningless job being a civil servant or a city worker - I'd like to open up a neighborhood business or something. What is this Shabbos goy you speak of?
|
|
#21
 2006-03-16, 16:40
|
TerminatorVinitiatoR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
some jewish-racist-slang.
|
|
#22
 2006-03-17, 00:05
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by diehard993: Shabbos goy?
By means of making money: I hear that jobs in New York pay quite well due to the high costs of living. I'll probably end up getting a meaningless job being a civil servant or a city worker - I'd like to open up a neighborhood business or something. What is this Shabbos goy you speak of?
Jews are bound by their religious laws not to work the Sabbath (Shabbos), but non-Jews (Gentiles/Goyim) are not. So if you're an Orthodox Jew and you need help on the Sabbath, you hire someone who's not Jewish to come and help you around the house: a Shabbos Goy. Goy is the hebrew word for "nation," in the Bible it is used to refer to all people who are not Jewish. It is by no means derrogatory. Shkotzim is a terrible word that has a connotation similar to the word "niggers" in reference to non-Jews. It literally stems from the Hebrew word for 'abomination,' in reference to the biblical prohibition against intermarriage (God is fond of calling activities and things he doesn't like "an abomination"). So don't listen to shkotzim like Terminator, being a goy is a-ok in my book.  Anyways, I would strongly suggest you not take up any bureaucratic or social work in New York...I'm told its damned near soul destroying unless you're completely committed to it. It's nearly thankless and places you in a cocoon of human suffering, where you are presented to the poor and disenfrachised among the public as the only viable source of aid, but are prevented by the high barriers of institutional incompetence from being of much use at all. I can't imagine that would be your American dream. I would suggest that you do something neutral like work in a private office, as a paralegal, a secretary or some other such low-stress, fairly well paying, job.
|
|
#23
 2006-03-17, 01:52
|
TerminatorVinitiatoR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
see? well documented jewish racism. the jewish right are AS bad as any fascists in history.
|
|
#24
 2006-03-17, 03:14
|
Fascistsmasher 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
If you want a metropolis I seriously suggest at least paying Minneapolis a visit. It's a beautiful city with numerous progressive services and generally kind people. However, stay away from the Ceder-Riverside neighborhood... usually the Somali Muslims aren't very welcoming, at least if you try to move into "thier" community.
Seph, do you really think that Shabbos goy is a good idea? Really to me it seems out of place and probably a violation of Halakah.
|
|
#25
 2006-03-17, 03:20
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by MexWanker: Great decision. As any sane person knows, America is a great place to live and especially work. There is a reason why America continues to have the most immigrants emigrating from their home countries to the good ol' USA.
As for where you want to live.
First, what type of income do you expect? That should weigh very heavily into your decision. As others have said, some places are much more expensive than others.
Do you like a bustling, vibrant environment or a buccolic, rustic environment?
Do you like the West Coast (more easy-going, greater diversity, liberal), the Midwest (homogeneous white population, conservative), or the East Coast (snobby, liberal, mostly white)?
What type of job do you want? The U.S has a very diverse job market and different areas are great for specific jobs.
Edit: The citizenship test, from what I hear, is pretty easy. The English test would be a breeze because you're Canadian and you probably know enough about American politics already (I'm assuming, you guys learn about U.S. history right?).
Shhit. I'm still pissed off about my indentured servitude in the USA. Goddamn those fucking cock sucking fucking cunts of the UNHCR.
|
|
#26
 2006-03-17, 03:37
|
postdiluvium 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
I live near san francisco, and we have the diversity without the homosexuality. sure san francisco meets the stereotypes of homosexuals and wierdos, but step out the city borders into the next city and everything in pretty normal. well, except oakland stay away from that town.
the whole san francisco bay area is a metropolitan area where the cost is high, but hey... if you hate capitalism then you should think about another country. but if you have the will to survive and the know how to make money, then come to the san francisco bay area. we basically have districts for like almost every race in the world. the world loves money and commerce and thats what we got.
|
|
#27
 2006-03-17, 03:41
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by postdiluvium: I live near san francisco, and we have the diversity without the homosexuality. sure san francisco meets the stereotypes of homosexuals and wierdos, but step out the city borders into the next city and everything in pretty normal. well, except oakland stay away from that town.
the whole san francisco bay area is a metropolitan area where the cost is high, but hey... if you hate capitalism then you should think about another country. but if you have the will to survive and the know how to make money, then come to the san francisco bay area. we basically have districts for like almost every race in the world. the world loves money and commerce and thats what we got.
What the fuck is wrong with the town? Oakland is the best in the east bay man, except for maybe Richmond. San Francisco is homophobic anywhere outside of the Castro, though with the advent of artistic lofts its been spreading like a disease.
|
|
#28
 2006-03-17, 04:26
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by Fascistsmasher: If you want a metropolis I seriously suggest at least paying Minneapolis a visit. It's a beautiful city with numerous progressive services and generally kind people. However, stay away from the Ceder-Riverside neighborhood... usually the Somali Muslims aren't very welcoming, at least if you try to move into "thier" community.
Seph, do you really think that Shabbos goy is a good idea? Really to me it seems out of place and probably a violation of Halakah.
Well, officially speaking, the majority opinion in Halakha rules it as being ok, provided that the Jew employing them doesn't give them direct suggestions, relying on them instead to "anticipate" what needs doing, but no, I'm not personally very fond of the idea. It seems to be a way of skirting around the Law, and really goes against the spirit of the commandment, especially when God goes so far as to explicitly state that "nobody within your gates" should do any work. I was just kidding with the suggestion, but watching that distended equine rectum Terminator make a fool of himself was an unexpected benefit. 
|
|
#29
 2006-03-17, 09:23
|
Fascistsmasher 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Ahh, thank you for clarifying. Being that I'm from one of the more liberal "sects" (Reconstructionism kind of insofar as I find reconstructionist services to be the "best" so to speak, though technically I would be more of the Conservative or Masorti philosophy) you can probably understand my disbelief at someone actually proposing such an idea... it just seems so out of the spirit. Though as you've probably noticed I'm not exactly Shomer Shabbat either 
|
|
#30
 2006-03-17, 12:10
|
Hacker 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by diehard993: First off, thanks alot for the support Sephiroth. Secondly, yes, vazilizaitsev89, I intend to. Is there any specific part of the country you recommend me visit (get a feel for) before attempting to gain citezenship. I want to know this because I would have to obtain residence for 5 years in one specific state. I'm thinking a big city like New York. Pros/cons?
Just enlist and serve in the military and out live your deployment in the the Iraqi war and You can be citizen with mental problems when your hitch is up. US = War loving nation. And you know what, you dumb fuck, you already are an American. You want to be a US Citizen.
|
|
#31
 2006-03-17, 15:00
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by Sephiroth: [QUOTE]Originally posted by diehard993: [b]Shabbos goy?
By means of making money: I hear that jobs in New York pay quite well due to the high costs of living. I'll probably end up getting a meaningless job being a civil servant or a city worker - I'd like to open up a neighborhood business or something. What is this Shabbos goy you speak of?
I would suggest that you do something neutral like work in a private office, as a paralegal, a secretary or some other such low-stress, fairly well paying, job.[/B][/QUOTE] This is exactly the meaningless job I don't want! I don't want an office job. Officeworkers are yuppies and phaggots. I'd rather work in the mailroom for $10/Hour than in an office for $25/hour - At least I'd get more satisfaction out of the mailroom - and have more dignity. I'd never want to be chained to a desk, thats not the kind of job I desire - I'd much rather be on the streets, walking about.
|
|
#32
 2006-03-17, 16:37
|
LutherX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
diehard, whatever you do just be sure to stay the hell outta south Florida. It really sucks down here. Unless you are rich or love hot weather, you will hate it. It's a great place to visit in the winter and escape the cold, but other than that it blows. Dirty beaches, crowds, the heat.. I could go on and on. Not that I mind the Spanish-speaking peoples, but it's almost turning into the main language down here, and it's getting annoying.
Central & northern Florida are ok, but if you want to come south and stay on the east coast, I'd recommend GA or SC. Cost of living is much lower, and you'll still have good weather.
|
|
#33
 2006-03-17, 16:47
|
Hacker 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by LutherX: diehard, whatever you do just be sure to stay the hell outta south Florida. It really sucks down here. Unless you are rich or love hot weather, you will hate it. It's a great place to visit in the winter and escape the cold, but other than that it blows. Dirty beaches, crowds, the heat.. I could go on and on. Not that I mind the Spanish-speaking peoples, but it's almost turning into the main language down here, and it's getting annoying.
Central & northern Florida are ok, but if you want to come south and stay on the east coast, I'd recommend GA or SC. Cost of living is much lower, and you'll still have good weather.
Yea Florida is where they beat 14 Year olds to death and lie about the cause of death. What were thre, 5 people involved as the kid was beaten by deputy sheriffs? WTF and I bet no one has even been relieved from duty yet. It was on video too. Well a Bush is governor of that shit hole so what would one expect.
|
|
#34
 2006-03-17, 18:51
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Well since youre Canadian it might not apply, but in a city such as New York or San Francisco its very hard to live 'comfortably' if you don't have any college. Unless you like living in the ghetto, I'd suggest living in a couple hours outside of the city.
|
|
#35
 2006-03-17, 20:06
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by Fascistsmasher: Ahh, thank you for clarifying. Being that I'm from one of the more liberal "sects" (Reconstructionism kind of insofar as I find reconstructionist services to be the "best" so to speak, though technically I would be more of the Conservative or Masorti philosophy) you can probably understand my disbelief at someone actually proposing such an idea... it just seems so out of the spirit. Though as you've probably noticed I'm not exactly Shomer Shabbat either 
I'm what you might call "Conservadox." I'm not quite on board with the electricity=fire thing for the purposes of Shabbos. I'm not quite Shomer Negiah either. I've never been to Reconstructionist services before...I'm not even sure the movement has a shul around where I live. I usually daven at the Mod-Ox Temple with the less than hallakhically correct Mechitzah, or I'll be found hanging out at the Chabad House on the campus here. Another good law skirting activity is that the Rebbetzyn at a Chabad house will usually be wearing a wig rather than covering her hair. My Rebbetzyn's wig was so well done I was scandalised, thinking I was seeing her real hair, when I first met her. I said to myself: "wow, Chabadniks really aren't like other Hassidim." And they aren't, but not for that reason. *Plays Twilight Zone theme* Have you heard about the new "Renewal Movement?" I'm told it's like a catchall for the more machmir elements of the theologically liberal movements: so, essentially gay tolerent, et cetera, but still machmir everywhere else. Apparently the Reform movement is bleeding congregants so fast it's ridiculous, and there's also the problem of kids who are abandoning watered down Judaism for full-strength Christianity. Perhaps this will fill that gap so that we still have minhagim and halakhos to keep those of a more liberal mind involved in the religion and stop the draining of our population.
|
|
#36
 2006-03-17, 20:55
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by ShqipTAR: Well since youre Canadian it might not apply, but in a city such as New York or San Francisco its very hard to live 'comfortably' if you don't have any college. Unless you like living in the ghetto, I'd suggest living in a couple hours outside of the city.
I'm not sure how me being Canadian will affect my ability to live "comfortably". I guess all immigrants (including ones from developed countries), have to live in the ghetto at some point. I'm working the next couple of summers and I'll be putting most of the money I make in the bank until I move. Minimum wage X 9 Hours X 75 days X 3 = about 13000 canadian. This is a good cushion until I find work. And an apartment for that matter. Can I take any money with me? God, I hope so.
|
|
#37
 2006-03-17, 21:16
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by diehard993: I'm not sure how me being Canadian will affect my ability to live "comfortably". I guess all immigrants (including ones from developed countries), have to live in the ghetto at some point. I'm working the next couple of summers and I'll be putting most of the money I make in the bank until I move.
Minimum wage X 9 Hours X 75 days X 3 = about 13000 canadian.
This is a good cushion until I find work. And an apartment for that matter. Can I take any money with me? God, I hope so.
Eh right on. I guess its a little far off, bu t in the SF if your really down to stretch, and I mean stretch, as in like, really really really stretch you can get a one bedroom for 300 dollars a month in the projects. A little more for 'residency hotels' in down town which are basically projects but aren't government funded, and a little bit safer. Somewhat better shit in Oakland - infinately easier to get a real house, for the same amount of money. But its alot easier to get around in SF. I really don't know shit about NY, when I lived there I was with family and I don't remember ever went out of Little Shqipni. Lol, you can't take more then 10k USD with you in cash. US Customs actually has more then 10k sniffing dogs.
|
|
#38
 2006-03-17, 21:22
|
Fascistsmasher 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
The vast majority of Jews in Minnesota are reform... throughout the state we have two Orthodox Shuls, one Conservative, seven Reform two Chabad's and one Reconstructionist. So most of my experiences have been with Reform Jews. I can attest to the fact that the Reform sect, as it were, is losing people like water through a sieve. Actually water through a sieve is a wonderful metaphor for what is happening. Though the backlash from Orthodoxy as an "alternative" lifestyle is certainly having it's affect, as is increased anti-Semitism.
One of the biggest problems is the near impossibility of being observant and living within contemporary American society. Eh, I digress, perhaps later we can have a more in depth discussion in the My G-d forum...
|
|
#39
 2006-03-17, 21:30
|
book em dano 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Well if you're not gonna do a lot of driving, Chicago might be nice.
|
|
#40
 2006-03-18, 01:05
|
postdiluvium 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by ShqipTAR: What the fuck is wrong with the town?
are you serious? where do i start? the east side where its to each block his own, or china town where the market is as black as the east side?
|
|
#41
 2006-03-18, 01:15
|
Fascistsmasher 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Really if you just some moronic putz, with no drive to succeed, no education and no drive to have any kind of meaningful job we don't need you here. Not only that but you will not do very well in America with the attitude that you currently have.
In order to make it in America you have to have a lot of drive and determination. While many just kind of skimp by with no ambition or goals they often have unfulfiling lives as unimportant cogs in the machine. It takes a lot to make it, to push your way into a more comfortable life in America. If you have the drive and ambition you truly can have an enjoyable and comfortable life in America. However, if you desire is to just "get a job" in an American Metropolis with only a Canadian High School education, you will undoubtedly have a life of regret and struggle.
|
|
#42
 2006-03-18, 01:55
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by postdiluvium: are you serious?
where do i start? the east side where its to each block his own, or china town where the market is as black as the east side?
Wtf dude? The eastside is the shit, with all the fucking side shows and the rap scene and shit. I mean, all you have to do is shout and everyone climbs out of the woodwork and its a badass fucking party, right there, on the block. You sure as shit can't do that in Albany or where ever the fuck. And china town is named after china, the fuck do you expect?
|
|
#43
 2006-03-18, 09:33
|
postdiluvium 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
[/QUOTE] Wtf dude? The eastside is the shit, with all the fucking side shows and the rap scene and shit. I mean, all you have to do is shout and everyone climbs out of the woodwork and its a badass fucking party, right there, on the block. You sure as shit can't do that in Albany or where ever the fuck. And china town is named after china, the fuck do you expect?[/QUOTE]
the rap scene... if the east side is so great then why did 2 $hort leave your guys asses behind for LA. i bet everyone getting their songs played on 9.49 and 106.1 will leave the east bay once they go platinum. everyone south of oakland is afraid of oakland spreading into their towns. section 8 housing err-we-ware!
|
|
#44
 2006-03-18, 09:45
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by postdiluvium: [b]
Wtf dude? The eastside is the shit, with all the fucking side shows and the rap scene and shit. I mean, all you have to do is shout and everyone climbs out of the woodwork and its a badass fucking party, right there, on the block. You sure as shit can't do that in Albany or where ever the fuck. And china town is named after china, the fuck do you expect?[/QUOTE] the rap scene... if the east side is so great then why did 2 $hort leave your guys asses behind for LA. i bet everyone getting their songs played on 9.49 and 106.1 will leave the east bay once they go platinum. everyone south of oakland is afraid of oakland spreading into their towns. section 8 housing err-we-ware![/B][/QUOTE] Wtf? Too short left LA for the East O-A-K. Everyone south of the town, is are faggots. Nigga fuck SJ.
|
|
#45
 2006-03-18, 22:28
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by Fascistsmasher: Really if you just some moronic putz, with no drive to succeed, no education and no drive to have any kind of meaningful job we don't need you here. Not only that but you will not do very well in America with the attitude that you currently have.
In order to make it in America you have to have a lot of drive and determination. While many just kind of skimp by with no ambition or goals they often have unfulfiling lives as unimportant cogs in the machine. It takes a lot to make it, to push your way into a more comfortable life in America. If you have the drive and ambition you truly can have an enjoyable and comfortable life in America. However, if you desire is to just "get a job" in an American Metropolis with only a Canadian High School education, you will undoubtedly have a life of regret and struggle.
That's quite insightful. I didn't say that I wasn't ambitious, I just said that I wouldn't want a corporate job. Jobs with the government (Postal service) pay very well. I haven't decided what to do when I get down there, but I'll find something - thats just the way i am. Plus, if I find an employed wife, life shouldn't be too hard on the financial side. PS: If I find a decent apartment with decent rent in an alright neighborhood, I'm never moving - not unless I have to (gentrification, etc).
|
|
#46
 2006-03-18, 23:49
|
ShqipTAR 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by diehard993: That's quite insightful. I didn't say that I wasn't ambitious, I just said that I wouldn't want a corporate job. Jobs with the government (Postal service) pay very well. I haven't decided what to do when I get down there, but I'll find something - thats just the way i am. Plus, if I find an employed wife, life shouldn't be too hard on the financial side.
PS: If I find a decent apartment with decent rent in an alright neighborhood, I'm never moving - not unless I have to (gentrification, etc).
Rent control is God dude. In both NY/SF they can't evict you because someone is willing to pay higher rent. One of my friends seriously pays $50 a month for an apartment in one of the best neighborhoods in SF since hes family has been there for fucking ever.
|
|
#47
 2006-03-19, 09:53
|
Fascistsmasher 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
Your best chance to make it is to come to the US for college. While it may not be what you want to do, it will be worth it. Even if you go to a two year trade school for auto mechanics, once you're out you will make decent money and have a job you can feel alright about.
There are many ways to not have a corporate job, unfortunately most of them require at least some post-secondary or college education. For instance, I am much like you and refuse to be a corporate monkey. So currently I work a pathetic bakery job (which, most of the time, I spent fucking around and looking for ways not to work) and in a few years I will be working as a full-time professor. My goal is to earn a tenure position so that I can just, essentially, be a crack-pot old professor.
[edit] Almost forgot, Minnesota is statistically one of the best states to live in. Low poverty, high wages, many services, very clean... the list goes on.
[This message has been edited by Fascistsmasher (edited 03-19-2006).]
|
|
#48
 2006-03-19, 16:45
|
postdiluvium 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
quote: Originally posted by ShqipTAR: Wtf? Too short left LA for the East O-A-K. Everyone south of the town, is are faggots. Nigga fuck SJ.
i dare you to goto san jose and say that. but seriously, im from hayward. fuck oakland and stop sending your people over here to live in my town. san leandro is already "oakland jr", you assholes.
|
|
#49
 2006-03-19, 17:32
|
diehard993 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I'm going to become an American!
An Idea has just donned on me. Do any of you think that I would need special education to be a correctional officer? I think it's something like a two year degree. I can handle that, and it would be a cool job to have. I'm not scared of any criminals at Riker's (I'll probably change my opinion). Now, while I'm living in the states, waiting to get citizenship, I could probably study and get a degree in Law Enforcement, no problem.
Once again, if anyone has an opinion on this, please, feel free to tell me about it - I value your guys' opinion, as you know much more than I do.
Thanks, Diehard
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|