About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Moving Pictures
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving Pictures This area is for discussing any technology that creates moving pictures. Topics in the past have covered favorite avant garde films, old TV sitcoms, animation, current trash TV, TV news, making movies, home brew video, video equipment, and multimedia.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-14, 15:40
Narcoplectic Narcoplectic is offline
Regular
 
Default Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

It looks like it should be a good movie, I like the concept. I think my friends and I are going to get stoned this weekend and go see it.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-14, 15:49
Dr.Ivan Dr.Ivan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

It's shit, or so i hear...
For me - i'll probably download it, it's not worth wasting the money at the pictures on something that had the author disown it.
 #3 
Old 2006-03-14, 16:56
WorldFamous WorldFamous is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I'm in two minds about it. On one hand I love the comic and would love to see how it's been transferred to the cinema, but on the other hand I really don't want to sit through another Wachowski film after the shitfests that were Matrix 2 and 3.
 #4 
Old 2006-03-14, 20:29
lacker lacker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

you can download the high res trailer.
Why does this look like a story about Jone of Arc? Any connection?
 #5 
Old 2006-03-14, 21:59
Regular
 
If she's easy, take'r twice.
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

i'll see it, just because it reminds me of 1984. i want to read the comics, but i cant find em around here.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-15, 03:22
Jackel003 Jackel003 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Ivan:
It's shit, or so i hear...
For me - i'll probably download it, it's not worth wasting the money at the pictures on something that had the author disown it.



It's not even out yet and the only people who could review it were ones that saw an advanced screening and I doubt you heard anything that was a legitimate statement.

Anyways, I'll be seeing it.

[This message has been edited by Jackel003 (edited 03-15-2006).]
 #7 
Old 2006-03-15, 05:38
draco237 draco237 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

i'm definately gonna see it, even thou i heard mixed reviews about it, but i have sum faith in those matrix guys plus natalie portman is severly fuckable
 #8 
Old 2006-03-15, 08:34
Dr.Ivan Dr.Ivan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by Jackel003:
It's not even out yet and the only people who could review it were ones that saw an advanced screening and I doubt you heard anything that was a legitimate statement.

Anyways, I'll be seeing it.




I got my advice from someone who has seen an advanced screening here in the U.K.

 #9 
Old 2006-03-15, 08:43
Regular
 
Canada
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I want to see it hopefully it's good. It has some good potential but so have a lot of crap movies.
 #10 
Old 2006-03-15, 08:59
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Fuck the Wachowski Brothers. Alan Moore wants no part of it, and he IS V for Vendetta. I won't see it.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-15, 13:34
nOObGLitch nOObGLitch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I've seen the movie and if your the type of guy who wants it action packed your not gonna get it.

The movie is more on a linguistically artistic script focusing on political revolution. It is rated R because any kidiots will easily succumb to the ideals of rebellion againts the oppressing government.

But it is a great movie! Maybe you americans won't appreciate it because you never experienced a totalitarian government.
 #12 
Old 2006-03-15, 15:51
Moderator
 
hardtown, hardstate, hardnation
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Natalie Portman is the worst actor in the world.
 #13 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:06
the_inner_war the_inner_war is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I'll see it. If it's trash, I'll understand. Of course, that always happens to the movies that look the most interesting.

Anything beats this Harry Potter bullshit in my book.

p.s. No offense against Harry Potter, it's just overrated in my opinion.
 #14 
Old 2006-03-15, 22:00
Boblong Boblong is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by nOObGLitch:
I've seen the movie and if your the type of guy who wants it action packed your not gonna get it.

The movie is more on a linguistically artistic script focusing on political revolution. It is rated R because any kidiots will easily succumb to the ideals of rebellion againts the oppressing government.

But it is a great movie! Maybe you americans won't appreciate it because you never experienced a totalitarian government.


We are only two and a half steps away.
 #15 
Old 2006-03-18, 00:38
BindTortureKill BindTortureKill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I'll see it for the hell of it...
They need a Watchmen movie!
 #16 
Old 2006-03-18, 01:59
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I'll prob go see it. Maybe Monday.
 #17 
Old 2006-03-18, 04:10
Sklang Sklang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I'm only gonna see it because it's written by Alan Moore and he's the shit! I even heard they're gonna have a Watchmen movie. Now that'd be awesome.
 #18 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:54
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by BindTortureKill:

They need a Watchmen movie!



The hell they do. Given the track record, I'd rather see the apocalypse.
 #19 
Old 2006-03-18, 05:55
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by Sklang:
I'm only gonna see it because it's written by Alan Moore and he's the shit!


Alan Moore wrote absolutely NOTHING for the movie. He wants no part of it, he's disowned himself from it to the point of having his name removed from the credits. You have the Wachowski Brothers to thanks for this sucker.

If you liked the comic, don't ruin the memory of it by seeing the movie.

[This message has been edited by The_Rabbi (edited 03-18-2006).]
 #20 
Old 2006-03-18, 06:35
Zcon10 Zcon10 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by The_Rabbi:
Alan Moore wrote absolutely NOTHING for the movie. He wants no part of it, he's disowned himself from it to the point of having his name removed from the credits. You have the Wachowski Brothers to thanks for this sucker.

If you liked the comic, don't ruin the memory of it by seeing the movie.




Don't knock it til you try it.
It was pretty good, just got home from it. I was a huge fan of the comic. A lot of the dialogue is the same, with some of the subplots dropped, and a few things changed. Overall it was decent, because they still didn't lose the main idea behind V's character.
 #21 
Old 2006-03-18, 07:21
neX neX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

i watched this movie knowing absolutely nothing about it and i came out pleased.
 #22 
Old 2006-03-18, 08:45
Back_From_Termina Back_From_Termina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Alan Moore, as cool as he is, complains about absolutely everything. You really can't blame him for being pissed about the "From Hell" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" movies, 'cause they really sucked.
But his main complaint about this movie is the fact that it's been updated to deal with present issues. He originally wrote it in response to Margaret Thatcher's reign in the 1980's, and now he's pissed that it has more in common with Dubya instead. Seems silly.

Oh yeah, I liked the movie. I daresay I liked it even more than the comic. (actually SEEING the dominos fall was fucking awesome.)
 #23 
Old 2006-03-18, 08:51
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by Back_From_Termina:
He originally wrote it in response to Margaret Thatcher's reign in the 1980's, and now he's pissed that it has more in common with Dubya instead. Seems silly.


Why is getting upset that your work is being changed to mean to something it's not silly?
 #24 
Old 2006-03-18, 12:33
napoleon_complex napoleon_complex is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Because it's just nitpicking, unless of course you care to go into great detail about the HUGE differences between Margaret Thatcher and George Bush.
 #25 
Old 2006-03-18, 19:22
Back_From_Termina Back_From_Termina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by The_Rabbi:
Why is getting upset that your work is being changed to mean to something it's not silly?


I see nothing wrong with the story being updated to coincide with current events. And you do know that Alan dropped his support of the movie during post-production right? Which means that the movie had his full support all the way through writing AND shooting. Then at some point during editing he just decides to say "Screw this!" That seems especially strange.

 #26 
Old 2006-03-18, 19:28
PenisCancer PenisCancer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Terrible movie in my opininon. Truthfully you can't get a good movie without it trying to impose a political view.
 #27 
Old 2006-03-18, 19:30
CarbonB CarbonB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

^That's the point of the movie you twat.
 #28 
Old 2006-03-18, 19:40
Back_From_Termina Back_From_Termina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

There is one thing I really hated about this movie. *Spoiler warnings to those who haven't seen it or read it.* At the end when V is dying he tells Evey that he "fell in love with her." WTF is that shite? It's been awhile since I've read the comic, but I don't recall that being in there.
Also, they dumbed down some things too. For example: Evey now explains to the audience why we never see V's face. "He's you, and me, and everybody." Duh, most of us would get the metaphor without it being told to us.
 #29 
Old 2006-03-18, 19:43
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

^ That makes no sense. From what I recall, V was put into the camps because he was gay.

Obviously, he was also insane, but I think the main reason was he was gay.
 #30 
Old 2006-03-18, 20:20
Back_From_Termina Back_From_Termina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by The_Rabbi:
^ That makes no sense. From what I recall, V was put into the camps because he was gay.

Obviously, he was also insane, but I think the main reason was he was gay.



It's never really specified why he was put in the camp. He could be black, gay, non-christian, or something else. Again, it's the whole "he could be any one of us" metaphor.
 #31 
Old 2006-03-18, 20:39
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Bah. I suppose that suits the movie, but I definitely remember dialogue from the comic says that V was a flamer.
 #32 
Old 2006-03-18, 22:26
Back_From_Termina Back_From_Termina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I'm talking about the comic. That's partly why it pissed me off in the movie V "loves" Evey. It makes him less of an "anyone".
The other part is how Hollywood needs to put a shitty love story into everything.
 #33 
Old 2006-03-18, 22:37
Regular
 
London
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Saw it today, it was quite good, but I wasn't even aware it had anything to do with a comic until I saw the opening credits.
Had the potential to be better though.
 #34 
Old 2006-03-18, 23:41
PenisCancer PenisCancer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by CarbonB:
^That's the point of the movie you twat.



What are you talking about? Your a fucking retard if you think the point of the comic book (which the movie was based off of) was to criticize American politics.
 #35 
Old 2006-03-19, 06:36
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

I have no doubt that the original comic was Anglo-centric, but what I took from it was to avoid big government at all costs.
 #36 
Old 2006-03-19, 07:07
PenisCancer PenisCancer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

quote:
Originally posted by The_Rabbi:
I have no doubt that the original comic was Anglo-centric, but what I took from it was to avoid big government at all costs.



I completely agree.
 #37 
Old 2006-03-19, 16:33
Jah Jah is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

The movie was excellent.
I would think that any totsean would love it.
 #38 
Old 2006-03-19, 16:43
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Who plans on seeing V for Vendetta?

Well, I saw it.

It was entertaining, but the director made a few choices that really took away from the movie.

The "chancellor" was cast poorly, too reminicent of Hitler. The fire scene that is peppered throughout the movie is too over the top. The rain scene would have been excellent if not for the flairing lightning. The director/Wachowski brothers just couldn't resist adding those touches.

If you can ignore that and make the needed suspension of disbelief then it's worth seeing.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics