About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Moving Pictures
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving Pictures This area is for discussing any technology that creates moving pictures. Topics in the past have covered favorite avant garde films, old TV sitcoms, animation, current trash TV, TV news, making movies, home brew video, video equipment, and multimedia.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-14, 00:18
Lord Sorpington Lord Sorpington is offline
Regular
 
Default Required viewing for Humans.

I stole this from Printed Matter, but I'm sure the idea still works when applied to film and television.

So, I'll start and you add.

The Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Westside Story
The English Patient
 #2 
Old 2006-03-14, 02:25
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

I like this thread for some strange reason.

I'll throw a few out there.

Godfather I
Godfather II
Dr. Strangelove
The Big Lebowski
Little Caeser
Star Wars
To Kill a Mockingbird
Terminator
Terminator II
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
It's a Wonderful Life
Apocalypse Now
Shane
Blazing Saddles
Pulp Fiction
Indiana Jones (All of them)
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Quiet Man
The Hustler
Easy Rider
The Graduate
The Deer Hunter
Taxi Driver
 #3 
Old 2006-03-14, 02:45
BobDude BobDude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Everyone must see:
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Glaldiator
The Matrix
The Matrix: Reloaded
The Matrix: Revolutions
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Man on Fire
Unleashed
 #4 
Old 2006-03-14, 03:17
TheAlmightyVineMan TheAlmightyVineMan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Forrest Gump.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-14, 03:24
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Spice World.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-14, 03:35
CatharticWeek CatharticWeek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.


The Trois Couleurs trilogy. (Bleu, Blanc, Rouge)
American Beauty.
Das Boot.
Blade Runner.
Metropolis.
Nosferatu.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-14, 04:16
Regular
 
Niggerland: Land of the Negroe
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by YouForgotPoland:
Spice World.


Hell yeah.
 #8 
Old 2006-03-14, 08:53
No_Friends No_Friends is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

City Of God
Nightwatch
Carandiru

Yes, I know I watch too many foreign movies.
 #9 
Old 2006-03-14, 10:21
Dr.Ivan Dr.Ivan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Just a few here:


Eraserhead
Dawn of the Dead(1978)
Day of the Dead
Time Bandits
Frankenstein(1931)
Forbidden Planet
Ninja Scroll
Pitch Black
Blade Runner
King Kong(1933+(2005)




[This message has been edited by Dr.Ivan (edited 03-14-2006).]
 #10 
Old 2006-03-14, 14:58
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by YouForgotPoland:
Spice World.


I always liked Geri...then I grew up and realised that it was because she had hot tits.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-18, 02:45
the_inner_war the_inner_war is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Required or recommended? I would hardly consider some of these movies listed above "required" for humans.
 #12 
Old 2006-03-18, 02:55
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Don't worry about it, he isn't doing the thread properly anyhow, so it'll just disappear like all the others.

This is how it's done: http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum27/HTML/001678.html

A thread of that sort in here would be excellent if anybody is willing to do it.

[This message has been edited by Euda (edited 03-18-2006).]
 #13 
Old 2006-03-18, 06:02
Moderator
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Ugh what is with people in liking The Big Lebowski!! God damn stupid movie :P

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Million Dollar Baby
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Ficton
Thelma and Louise
 #14 
Old 2006-03-18, 19:45
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by kAtE-:
Ugh what is with people in liking The Big Lebowski!! God damn stupid movie :P


I saw it when it first came out at the theatre on my first date, so it makes me nostalgic. It has nothing to do with the actual movie or content, so it's sort of a biased review, I only saw it because it was playing at a cheap theatre with $2 tickets. I didn't understand alot of the content in the movie at the time, but I found it pretty funny.

There were only...three or four people in the theatre.

[This message has been edited by Euda (edited 03-18-2006).]
 #15 
Old 2006-03-18, 20:13
Niggers_With_Attitude Niggers_With_Attitude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Sorpington:
I stole this from Printed Matter, but I'm sure the idea still works when applied to film and television.

So, I'll start and you add.

The Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Westside Story
The English Patient



you must either be a fag or a girl

goodfellas is about a faggot narc

westside story is incredibly gay

and i have a pen0r so i've never watched the english patient
 #16 
Old 2006-03-18, 20:14
Niggers_With_Attitude Niggers_With_Attitude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by kAtE-:
Ugh what is with people in liking The Big Lebowski!! God damn stupid movie :P

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Million Dollar Baby
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Ficton
Thelma and Louise



lol

the lord of the rings?? wtf
 #17 
Old 2006-03-18, 22:48
Moderator
 
Canada
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Lord of the Rings is quite impressive and the story alone is worth it being on the list.

The English Patient is a good enough movie based on a pretty good book, but I already know how much you love books like that NWA

Goodfellas is a top notch movie. As far as mob movies go it's right below Casino.
 #18 
Old 2006-03-19, 02:20
Niggers_With_Attitude Niggers_With_Attitude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

lord of the rings makes people with good taste fall asleep
 #19 
Old 2006-03-19, 04:09
Infernal Infernal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by Euda:
Lord of the Rings is quite impressive and the story alone is worth it being on the list.


The movie and the book to me, seem extremely different. Back when Tolkien was writing about his Lord of the Rings universe, he had other themes in mind when writing it: the war that had occured, I think he was a soldier or something, also, they say the Ring was a symbol for power and war. All this boils down to context. But Peter Jackson's adaption butchered, if you will, Tolkien's original themes. It was all about friendship and love, but Tolkien had a more existentialist world, highlighting limititations of fellowship.

I don't think The Lord of the Rings trilogy should be included in this canon. It was mostly eyecandy and epic battles. If you read the books, Tolkien spares only a few pages on the battles. The fight scene in Isenguard went for only 3 pages while it took a chunk out of the Two Towers movie. While Jackson may have included some themes which Tolkien had mentioned, the implications from the movie are defintely differnt.
 #20 
Old 2006-03-19, 06:16
Moderator
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Yes, but its done so extremely well.
And no I am NOT biased because I'm kiwi.
If I had my way - everyone would be required to watch and read Harry Potter - but thats because I'm a little bit obsessed with Harry Potter.
 #21 
Old 2006-03-19, 07:45
a123x a123x is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

The Graduate
Yellow Submarine
American Beauty
Original Star Wars Trilogy
Munich(although I might be biased because I just saw this movie)
 #22 
Old 2006-03-19, 08:14
Infernal Infernal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by kAtE-:
Yes, but its done so extremely well.
And no I am NOT biased because I'm kiwi.
If I had my way - everyone would be required to watch and read Harry Potter - but thats because I'm a little bit obsessed with Harry Potter.



It's done well, but it's highly overrated. It's like they haven't seen an epic battle before.

Films like...Blade Runner or 2001 has a reason to be in the canon. By changing the themes in LOTR, Peter Jackson ensured that the LOTR film trilogy WONT make the canon, because it doesn't really have anything important to say.
 #23 
Old 2006-03-19, 09:55
Moderator
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by Infernal:
It's done well, but it's highly overrated. It's like they haven't seen an epic battle before.

Films like...Blade Runner or 2001 has a reason to be in the canon. By changing the themes in LOTR, Peter Jackson ensured that the LOTR film trilogy WONT make the canon, because it doesn't really have anything important to say.




Oh well, I still disagree.

Who ever said American Beauty - yes!!
 #24 
Old 2006-03-19, 18:08
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

2001: A Space Odyssey

Everything else in the world is, at very best, second-tier.
 #25 
Old 2006-03-19, 19:53
ulTRAX ulTRAX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

Once Were Warriors
 #26 
Old 2006-03-19, 20:33
Niggers_With_Attitude Niggers_With_Attitude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Required viewing for Humans.

quote:
Originally posted by Gorloche:
2001: A Space Odyssey

Everything else in the world is, at very best, second-tier.



no
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics