About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > DIY
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY Do It Yourself! Advice on how to make beer, plant a garden, use power tools, record music, and build things yourself.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-13, 14:20
Rogue53 Rogue53 is offline
Regular
 
Default HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

HI All.

This is my first topic in DIY, and I want to make this like a work blog.

My first DIY project is a working scorpion vehicle, from Unreal Tournament 2004.

There won't be any cannon on the back, and there won't be moving blades. This is the plan.

A small, strong frame, like a roll cage, shaped like the Scorpion, 2 seater, 640 CC motorbike engine in the back of the vehicle, modified to use pedals and gear-stick. Add some shaped body panels made from a light weight sheet metal, shaped like the scorpion, use plexi-glass for the windows/windscreens and have car-sized tyres.

Capable of reaching a sustainable speed of 60-80Km, the Scorpion will be used to transport materials to set up a transportable outpost 5Km from base. From the design, the bottom of the Scorpion will be relatively flat, thus enabling us to place a droppable brigde, supporting the light-weight Scorpion across small, uncrossable reigons. Most likely to be used in Paintball CTF, but until then, just use this for screaming around town.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?
 #2 
Old 2006-03-13, 16:40
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

Uhhh...make the "Bridge" out of paper mache?
 #3 
Old 2006-03-13, 17:45
Regular
 
Planet Earth
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

can you show a pic of what you want it to look like?
 #4 
Old 2006-03-13, 18:12
Regular
 
out in them there sticks
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

First off, do you have any metal working experience/skills?

Second, do you want this thing to have a suspension system?

Do you want an aluminum or steel frame? Square or round tubing?

I imagine you are going to go with a straight axle, but what size sprocket are you gong to put on the back axle?

Car tires might be a little too much for a motorcycle engine to push. You might want to think about some lightweight quad/dune buggy rims and tires.

And last but most certianly not least, how much money are you planning to spend on this and how set on it are you?
 #5 
Old 2006-03-13, 19:09
Choscura Choscura is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

just build a dune buggy. get a VW beetle and mod it out into a real dune buggy before you go trying to do something you've obviously never done before.
 #6 
Old 2006-03-14, 01:37
Lono42 Lono42 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

damn, when your done we NEED pics. Or just post conceptual pics now.
 #7 
Old 2006-03-14, 01:50
DiStOrTiOn DiStOrTiOn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

quote:
Originally posted by Lono42:
damn, when your done we NEED pics. Or just post conceptual pics now.


yes. that thing sounds sexay
 #8 
Old 2006-03-14, 11:08
Rogue53 Rogue53 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

Alright.... Didn't expect such a boom... ok...

First off, the paper mache' would NOT hold a small vehicle. The brigde is going to be made out of about 6 aluminium tubes and sheet metal over the top.

Second, Design pictures are being made as we type, but they will have to be carefully converted to the PC to have good accuracy.

Third, I have 5 years metal-working experience, and my father has 30 with both metal and cars, I do plan to have suspension, Yes, I am going to have a straight back axle, but the sprocket size will be chosen depending completely on the motor.
I'm thinking that the right tyres are a necessity, so I MIGHT consider upgrading to a VW engine if necessary, which removes the need for sprockets, OR i might upgrade to a 1000CC motor. I plan to look at the parts available around me, which means i'm looking through some wrecking yards, and i'll find just what i need for the right price, if I search hard enough. Oh, and I'm having an aluminium frame, round tubing.

Fourthly, I HAVE done things requiring great mechanical skills and precision, and I have a grand plan for this, I don't just want a "dune buggy". Blegh.

Lastly:

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:UT2004_scorpion.jpg]

THAT, is the original design. Just remove the cannon and side blades, pop in another seat, lower the hood a little, and rear-mount the engine. Imagine roaring around town in that! HA.

Bringeth me The Suggestions, Comments and Questions! Bringeth me MORE!!!
 #9 
Old 2006-03-14, 19:26
Regular
 
out in them there sticks
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

You have skills, most excellent. If you get tis done, it is going to be wicked.

VW parts can be quite pricey. I would recommend looking into useing a big snowmobile engine. Somewhere around 1000cc with triple cylinders. You would have to get some CV joints though and that could also run into some money. So it really depends on what you prefer. If you use a snowmobile engine and CV joints, that means you will have IRS which will give you a smoother ride and allow for better traction.

If you don't keep us updated, I will destroy you.

 #10 
Old 2006-03-14, 20:13
Moderator
 
҉
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

I am quite pleased that someone undertaking a huge project has the skills to back it up.

I really look forward to where this project will be going.
 #11 
Old 2006-03-15, 04:35
Rogue53 Rogue53 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

I'm really glad to see I have such a backing to my project, and I have many more just like this, so watch out for other DIY topics with my name on them, you may just love them.

Here are is the Halo Warthog, made by Holden http://www.mattpedlar.com/images/Warthogjpg.jpg

Mix that with the scorpion, rear-mount the engine, and away we go! BTW, the body panels won't be as good as that, but I can try


[This message has been edited by Rogue53 (edited 03-15-2006).]
 #12 
Old 2006-03-15, 05:58
Regular
 
out in them there sticks
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

Sweet ride.

You are going to have to come to my house and pick me up to go for a spin.

And also, have you thought about making this with four wheel steering? That would be cool.
 #13 
Old 2006-03-15, 06:24
Kwinniebogan Kwinniebogan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

Sounds insane!
I'm pissing my pants waiting for this fucking thing, even if it takes all year.
XD.
That was a Peugeot by the way.
 #14 
Old 2006-03-15, 11:31
Rogue53 Rogue53 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

4 wheel steering is really hard... i'd have to have 2 opposite steering sets. Anyway, designs are underway and the decision has not been made on whether or not we're using a VW engine or a 1000CC, but I have full backing from my father AND my uncle, who works at a shop, making side-cars as a hobby. He'll tell me which engine should use, and he'll most likely provide it for me, and some other parts as well! Not brand new, of course...

[This message has been edited by Rogue53 (edited 03-15-2006).]
 #15 
Old 2006-03-15, 17:38
the lost cause the lost cause is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

keep an eye out for a vw engine and a 1L moterbike engine.

buy whatever you find first(in good condition)

would be sweet if it could float....just an idea..
 #16 
Old 2006-03-15, 18:32
Regular
 
out in them there sticks
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

Four wheel steering was just an idea I thought I'd throw in. I know it would be really difficult but hey, I was just brainstorming.

Also, remember that if you use a snowmobile engine it is going to be automatic and that might apeal to you and it might not. It would be simpler because you wouldn't have to worry about shifter linkage or clutch.
 #17 
Old 2006-03-17, 07:19
Rogue53 Rogue53 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

It's decided: 1000CC MB engine. Easier that way. Now, to get ahold of one, and start building. You'll see pictures of my and the engine as soon as I get it in my yard. From there, you'll see construction pics.
 #18 
Old 2006-03-17, 07:25
DiStOrTiOn DiStOrTiOn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

quote:
Originally posted by Rogue53:
It's decided: 1000CC MB engine. Easier that way. Now, to get ahold of one, and start building. You'll see pictures of my and the engine as soon as I get it in my yard. From there, you'll see construction pics.


Sexcellent.
 #19 
Old 2006-03-17, 13:27
Regular
 
out in them there sticks
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

Now comes the fun for you(creating) and the boring for us(waiting).
 #20 
Old 2006-03-18, 00:07
wrk_sux wrk_sux is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

well for insperation check out outerlimits4x4.com and search buggies and truggies then go to pirate4x4.com and check out forumla toy since these look a hell of a lot like what you want to build
 #21 
Old 2006-03-19, 12:23
Regular
 
Default Re: HOT DIY: Scorpion Vehicle

quote:
Originally posted by Rogue53:
First off, the paper mache' would NOT hold a small vehicle. The brigde is going to be made out of about 6 aluminium tubes and sheet metal over the top.


HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics