About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Cunning Linguists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cunning Linguists Languages and their use. What languages do you speak and why? What do words really mean? Can you say things in one language that you can't say in another? Should there be a national language? How many languages should a person know and what are they?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-03-11, 13:19
S t o y v e S t o y v e is offline
Regular
 
Default I have 2 weeks to write a play.

I have no idea what it is going to be about, any type of storyline, or anything like that - all I know is that I have to hand it in in 2 weeks' time, it has to be 10-15 minutes long (20 as an absolute maximum), and I don't have much space to perform it in (although I have a lot of equipment to use should it be required).

Help.
 #2 
Old 2006-03-11, 15:37
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I have 2 weeks to write a play.

I think this topic might get closed or perhaps moved to PM.

But anyway, some advice: don't use too much action; set the play in a very small environment. Ever seen/read Waiting for Godto? A perfect example.

My mother gave me a good idea for a play today, as a mattter of fact. It would be set in a car mechanics' (like Kwik-Fit) waiting room. You could have one person waiting for their car to be fixed and various characters coming in. Think of some sort of message to communicate with the play, write some vaguely funny dialogue that conveys this message for conversations between these characters and you're done. Shouldn't be too hard if it's just 15 minutes.

Good luck, anyway, and feel free to use that car mechanicm waiting room idea,
L.

[This message has been edited by landfill (edited 03-11-2006).]
 #3 
Old 2006-03-11, 21:05
Hated One Hated One is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I have 2 weeks to write a play.

I'm actually not sure if this should be closed. So I'm going to view it as a question and if it gets closed, it won't be by my hand. (Lost may decide it's not appropriate.)

Since it's so short, you should aim for a comedy. (They're easier and require less time to become attached to a character.)

Tips- Reversal of gender rols are easy to make jokes about.

ex: Maybe a husband who's on the "final straw" with his wife and is trying to make a romantic dinner for her. Maybe some dipshit friends of his interfere, things go wrong, in the end the dinner is a wreck but the wife is so charmed that she forgives him.

I know it's simplistic, but you've 15 minutes to do a play, that doesn't allow for much depth.

[This message has been edited by Hated One (edited 03-11-2006).]
 #4 
Old 2006-03-12, 16:03
[{{��E�}}] [{{��E�}}] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I have 2 weeks to write a play.

I don't think you should seek help without first having made an attempt but as hated one proposed your post as a question, how about writing a play about not knowing what to write a play about and acting out all of your thoughts on the play and your response to your teacher's and co-pupil's suggestions and suggestions recieved online. It's not a good idea but it should be quite easy to pull off and if you have a few other actors on stage with you (that is if you're not just writer director and will be acting), you could have a classroom set and every now and then speak your thoughts as nobody else can hear them and be very sarcastic and a tad cynical and angst ridden towards some but compassionate towards others, short, sweet, simple and quite understandable by an audience in a school atmosphere.
 #5 
Old 2006-03-13, 05:19
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: I have 2 weeks to write a play.

In the past I would have moved this to Printed Matter, but the face of this forum has changed in recent months and I think there's a place here for these sorts of threads. However, I agree with Apex. You should first make an attempt before asking someone else to do your work for you.

Cheers,
Lost
 #6 
Old 2006-03-17, 00:59
burntoffering burntoffering is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I have 2 weeks to write a play.

I will temperarily give you the rights to bobo the wonder monkey, or snuffles the alchoholic rabbit, if you include them in the play, send me a copy of the play.


~agent orange.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics