About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Cunning Linguists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cunning Linguists Languages and their use. What languages do you speak and why? What do words really mean? Can you say things in one language that you can't say in another? Should there be a national language? How many languages should a person know and what are they?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2006-02-04, 06:25
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Collaboration

I had an idea. This is a group project. What happens is one person writes a chapter to a story. It can be in any format the writer would like; poetry, prose, ASCII, doesn't matter. You're chapter can even be broken into subchapters with subsubchapters if you'd like. When they are done, they pass it off to the next eprson who makes the next chapter however they would like.

Participants:

  • Gorloche (ninjas.rule@gmail.com)
  • Tacit_Attack (tacit_attack@yahoo.com)
  • landfill (louisgoddard@gmail.com)
  • Hated One (piikaza2@yahoo.com)
  • [{{��E�}}] (cylyryx@hotmail.com)
  • r3vVy (ricky.beaman@gmail.com)
  • King_Cotton (random_username_5@yahoo.com)
  • pants (gir96@hotmail.com)
  • AutoPilot (insanityisrelative@gmail.com)
  • Kwinniebogan (Mudman_gt@hotmail.com)
  • tingtonger (tingtonger@gmail.com)


Rules:

  • You cannot make something already written invalid. It can be part of a dream sequence, it can be on television, but it can't just be flatly ignored.
  • You MUST give the file over to the first person who asks for it after you have finished.
  • If you do not add anything to it for a week, it gets sent to the next person. This is to keep things flowing.
  • If you miss your spot three times in a row, you're out of the list but can sign up again.
  • Anyone who signs up after it is started is added to the end of the list.


Also, make sure the file is a .doc. That's the one file everyoen can read.



[This message has been edited by Gorloche (edited 03-11-2006).]
 #2 
Old 2006-02-04, 07:13
Tacit_Attack Tacit_Attack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

I'll do it
 #3 
Old 2006-02-04, 09:59
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Sounds like a cool idea. I'm always running out of ideas when writing fiction, so this might help.
 #4 
Old 2006-02-04, 17:32
Hated One Hated One is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Sign me up, great idea.
 #5 
Old 2006-02-04, 18:37
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Excellent. Who should start?
 #6 
Old 2006-02-04, 19:54
Hated One Hated One is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

quote:
Originally posted by Gorloche:
Excellent. Who should start?


It's your idea, I say you start and then we go down the list of people who posted their interest.
 #7 
Old 2006-02-04, 19:57
[{{��E�}}] [{{��E�}}] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

I'd quite happily take part, sounds like a good idea.
 #8 
Old 2006-02-04, 20:07
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Ok, so the official order that it will be written in so far is:


  • Gorloche (that's me!)
  • Tacit_Attack
  • landfill
  • Hated One
  • apex


Two new rules: If someone does not add anything to it for a week, it gets sent to the next person. This is to keep things flowing. If you miss your spot three times in a row, you're out of the list but can sign up again. Anyone who signs up after it is started is added to the end of the list.
 #9 
Old 2006-02-04, 20:09
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Everything sounds good.

So, does it end with the last person on the list, or does it loop? I suppose it depends on how long we want to make this.

[This message has been edited by landfill (edited 02-04-2006).]
 #10 
Old 2006-02-04, 20:22
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

It loops. Once everyone agrees that it is done or there are no more participants, it is done.
 #11 
Old 2006-02-05, 04:31
Hated One Hated One is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

I get the feeling that when it comes to me, I'm going to get "WTF?" a lot.
This will be a good practice, I haven't written too much of a "dialogue" piece since my play.
 #12 
Old 2006-02-05, 04:54
r3vVy r3vVy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Sounds like a very interesting idea. In fact, it's similar to a topic which I was going to create. Where every person contributes a paragraph or something to a 'life in they day of...' story. (Basically, a story describing somebody's actions and thoughts within one day in lots of detail). It would be interesting to see how the charecters actions and thoughts change throughout the day. I never really got round to organising it though...

Anyways, I'll definetly take part Any ideas on the starting date?
 #13 
Old 2006-02-05, 19:00
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Well, I have a block of material due in the next two weeks, so I'll probably have it done then. I might have it done at the end of this week.
 #14 
Old 2006-02-05, 19:20
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

I'm getting more and more excited about this idea now; really looking forward to it (though I doubt my work will even compare with the rest </obligatory self-deprecation> ).

I was reading about a similar concept the other day: http://www.glypho.com/. I feel that Glypho is a bit too 'open', though. With this idea, there's a definite set of authors. It's like a band producing music.



[This message has been edited by landfill (edited 02-05-2006).]
 #15 
Old 2006-02-06, 17:40
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Tacit, I need your email so I can send you th completed first chapter.
 #16 
Old 2006-02-06, 17:43
Tacit_Attack Tacit_Attack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

It's Tacit_Attack@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Tacit_Attack (edited 02-06-2006).]
 #17 
Old 2006-02-06, 21:20
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Chapter one has been sent.

It. Is. On.
 #18 
Old 2006-02-06, 21:33
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

quote:
Originally posted by Gorloche:
It. Is. On.


And so it begins...

I like the mystery added by the piece's tranfer by email and it not being revealed on the board until completion. Well, I assume this is is what's going to happen, right?

My email address is louisgoddard@gmail.com, by the way. Just so you can add it to the list on the first post.

[This message has been edited by landfill (edited 02-06-2006).]
 #19 
Old 2006-02-06, 22:38
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Yeah. That way, you can't plan out a response ahead of time. It is based solely on the one week you have with the piece.
 #20 
Old 2006-02-06, 22:46
Hated One Hated One is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Whoops. Here's my e-mail


piikaza2@yahoo.com
 #21 
Old 2006-02-06, 23:18
[{{��E�}}] [{{��E�}}] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

mine: cylyryx@hotmail.com
 #22 
Old 2006-02-06, 23:39
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Everyone's email so far has been added except for r3vVy's.
 #23 
Old 2006-02-08, 19:28
r3vVy r3vVy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

quote:
Originally posted by Gorloche:
Everyone's email so far has been added except for r3vVy's.



ricky.beaman@gmail.com
 #24 
Old 2006-02-08, 19:51
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Everyone is up.
 #25 
Old 2006-02-09, 01:21
Moderator
 
My mind.
Default Re: Collaboration

Is it too late for me to join?
 #26 
Old 2006-02-09, 03:42
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Nope, you'd just be tacked onto the end. If you want me to add you, you have to give your email address so the person before can send it to you.
 #27 
Old 2006-02-09, 11:26
Moderator
 
My mind.
Default Re: Collaboration

random_username_5@yahoo.com
 #28 
Old 2006-02-11, 05:42
Regular
 
Ga
Default Re: Collaboration

gir96@hotmail.com
 #29 
Old 2006-02-11, 07:56
AutoPilot AutoPilot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

I'm down.

insanityisrelative@gmail.com
 #30 
Old 2006-02-13, 03:48
Tacit_Attack Tacit_Attack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

I finished, and it's onto landfill now. I hadn't wrote short story fiction since like the tenth grade, so I was little rusty. I could've definitely been more detailed, and it jumped around alot, but did what I could.
 #31 
Old 2006-02-13, 10:20
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Is there a reason for the change from black to blue text? Can I change it all to black?
 #32 
Old 2006-02-13, 23:46
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Leave whatever was done in a chapter that wasn't yours as is. You can type in black. He typed in blue, though, so it stays blue.
 #33 
Old 2006-02-14, 17:36
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

quote:
Originally posted by Gorloche:
Leave whatever was done in a chapter that wasn't yours as is. You can type in black. He typed in blue, though, so it stays blue.


Aye aye.
 #34 
Old 2006-02-14, 21:54
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

I'm very glad and much more excited about this than I expected. It's very difficult waiting for it to get to my turn without trying to pull the plug on the whole thing and demand the story where it is. I think this will turn out well. It might be CloudAtlas or it might be Robot Apocalypse.
 #35 
Old 2006-02-17, 22:34
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Sorry that my bit's taking a while, I've been quite busy. My deadline's Monday, right?
 #36 
Old 2006-02-18, 01:24
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Sunday night, really, but I think everyone could live if it took till Monday.
 #37 
Old 2006-02-18, 19:20
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Finished my (rather short) bit and sent it on to Hated One.
 #38 
Old 2006-02-20, 05:06
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Excellent. And so, on the spider moves.
 #39 
Old 2006-02-20, 10:35
Hated One Hated One is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

My bit is done, rest sent to Apex. I'd like to apologise as I did not add much, I have to go back to the hospital soon and had to wrap it up. Dreadfully sorry.
 #40 
Old 2006-02-26, 17:57
[{{��E�}}] [{{��E�}}] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

My bit is taking a while but I'll send it on tomorrow if that's ok, should still be under a week.
 #41 
Old 2006-02-26, 18:12
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Yup. Technically, you have until Wednesday, if I remember correctly.
 #42 
Old 2006-02-26, 18:43
[{{��E�}}] [{{��E�}}] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

excellent, time for more typing.
 #43 
Old 2006-02-28, 22:45
[{{��E�}}] [{{��E�}}] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Did chapter 4 and sent it off to r3vVy.
 #44 
Old 2006-02-28, 23:40
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

You mean chapter 5, right? You are the fifth man on the list.
 #45 
Old 2006-03-01, 14:28
[{{��E�}}] [{{��E�}}] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

No before mine there were only 3 chapters marked off, someone must have overlooked marking theirs off.
 #46 
Old 2006-03-02, 22:12
r3vVy r3vVy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Like apex said, there's only 4 chapters marked off. Maybe someone added more to somebody elses chapter or something. Anyway, I'm going to write the 5th chapter at the weekend.

It's looking good so far
 #47 
Old 2006-03-03, 20:17
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

Most excellent. I'm very excited.
 #48 
Old 2006-03-03, 20:47
landfill landfill is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

quote:
Originally posted by Gorloche:
I'm very excited.


Same here! About five weeks until I get to see how it's going.
 #49 
Old 2006-03-11, 04:59
Moderator
 
Fairfax, Virginia, America
Default Re: Collaboration

r3vVy, just so you know, you have until Sunday night before we're going to have to skip you. Technically, your week was up on Thursday, but the cut-off point is always Sunday night. Hurry up!
 #50 
Old 2006-03-11, 07:03
Kwinniebogan Kwinniebogan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

Fuck, I think I missed out - I suck at writing anyway.
I Also missed kAtE-'s erotic novel collaboration

Next time...
Mudman_gt@hotmail.com
 #51 
Old 2006-03-11, 08:10
tingtonger tingtonger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Collaboration

I'll write a paragraph if there still is openings. This looks to be cool

tingtonger at gmail dot com
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics