About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > Bitch and Moan
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bitch and Moan Bitch, moan, flame, and complain.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
This particular thread is a partial recovery - page 1 of its original capture was never archived, so some posts from that page are missing below.
 #1 
Old 2002-10-18, 13:23
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Fuck I hate marijuana withdrawl

MP3s?? More than one. Several actually. However, most of them were recorded a long time ago, and I'm a bit hesitant to put them up here.

BUT, since I'm totally changing my "studio" set-up in the next few days, I'll be sure to do something.


And meta, I'm glad its YOU butting in, rather then some little nu-metal person.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-18, 23:33
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Fuck I hate marijuana withdrawl

Hey; the last 'new' music that I wrote and recorded when the band wentinto a studio and put down several songs for a demo [6 months before we broke up and 8 before one guitarist died from a heroin OD.

My wife and I used it - with great success - to help our baby go to sleep.

Our baby will be 11 come Ozzy's B-day.

The point [this time] is that if I can put up material thats as old as that, you surly can put up what you gots.

After all, good music for the most part is timeless. [While bad music just sucks at any time, all the time]

So go for it; I'd like to hear some too.


Now for a [shameless plug] I hope to have my current project finished before the end of the year[/shameless plug]

I started writting again just this year, although most of it was what call 'therapy' songs. Songs that dealt with the loss of my daughter and breakup of my marriage.

It was odd because first off, I had up to now rarely even done a song that was serious, no love songs or anything 'deep'. Yet here I was not only having just done several, but the feelings expresed in them where how I felt 7 years ago. It was like I had to get a backlog of stuff out of my head and onto paper before I could move on.

I wasn't even going to use any of them: I didn't think they were any good and had served their purpose: to unclog the creative works.

I changed my mind after a few friend read them and really liked them.

Looking for a less biased [and possibly a bit hostile ;-)] I posted a couple at totse.

Again the response was very good

And, did I mention that we are going to mix it in either quadraphonic or true 5.1 surround sound [the 5.1 became possible when aquired a copy of both the DolbyAC3 encoder and a DTS encoder.

I just need a surround mixer - like MX51 virtual mixer, It's perfect; only I can't bloody find anythng but the demo.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-19, 00:52
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fuck I hate marijuana withdrawl

Eh, I'd still like to put up something new. The reason is not just the lack of quality of the older files, just at the rate I'm learning.

Also, I'm 16. In reality, there are probably only a handful of people in the US (or anywhere) that play the kind of music I play at my level - at my age. I'm not trying to say I'm anything special, just that not many people my age play neo-classical music, in a non "he's a prodigy! wow! lets send him to Juilliard" setting (I almost made that mistake myself).

Wben I was 5 or 6, I had just started playing classical, and it was decided that I was very good. I had a 90 minutes lesson twice a week, and played constantly. I didn't complain, cause I loved it (still do). Anyways, when I was about 12, it was decided that I was manic depressive, ADD, and a few other minor things. The medicaiton helped me, but it kinda made my mind work differently. I could hardly play anything on the guitar anymore. I've been "relearning" since then. Some days its still a problem, I tell my fingers to play something, and they act like they've never touched a fretboard.

Another thing that is a problem, is that no one my age that DOES have an interest in the kind of music I play either has an interest in playing with ME, or is up to my level anyway. As a result I've played with people twice my age, its fun, a lot of fun...but it doesn't really work out.

And, to be quite honest, I'm very afraid of rejection. Last year, in a burst of creativity (september 11th inspire me), I put out a little 7 track casette around school of ambient music. Musicians, and fans of the genre LOVED it, and I even had an offer from two small labels to put a song on compilation cds. One song in particular was even played on the radio a few times for a memorial program. However, the people that I'm in contact the most with, my peers, hated it. I shouldn't have let it bother me, but it did.

But anyway, I'll record something tomorrow. I was going to do it today, but I'm having an off day. I HATE playing when I'm not playing my best, it just always bothers me. And when I'm not playing my best, it makes me not want to play, wich just gets me out of practice.

And, to make things worse. I seem to be having the musical version of writers block. I can play songs I know well, better than ever before...and I can improvise things just fine, just like always. Sometimes I wish I could just call my 20 minutes improv sessions songs...but only guitar players would find those interesting.


quote:
And, did I mention that we are going to mix it in either quadraphonic or true 5.1 surround sound [the 5.1 became possible when aquired a copy of both the DolbyAC3 encoder and a DTS encoder.


Yes, you did. And even if the music sucks (which I doubt it will), it'll sound awesome. I've listened to a few DVDA and SACDs mixed that way. Very nice.


Btw, in reference to the song you posted here earlier. "Ali's Song" I think it was called. It was very good, however (don't mean to be rude here), but have you considered a second opinion as far as the producing is concerned? There were a couple of spots where I just thought "ouch, who was controlling the soundboard on that one?". Please don't take that the wrong way, producing and mastering is a hobby of mine, I'm always trying to improve things.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-19, 23:20
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fuck I hate marijuana withdrawl

Ok...dammit.

I hate putting out crap work like this, but heres something i just did real quick...I was bored.
http://djsam.phucknut.net/aharmonicminor2.wma

The part at the end..i just added that because the first part...didn't really have me playing all that much, it wouldn't normaly be in the song.

And as should be obvious from the .wme extension, it requires the WMA codec to play. But if you're using WMP or Winamp, you probably have it.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-20, 01:46
culinaryoverlord culinaryoverlord is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fuck I hate marijuana withdrawl

Holy shred batman, that rocks, I envy you and your most nimble fingers you dexterous motherfucker. How much do you practice? I hate to cop a bullshit excuse, but I have ADD, and to sit down and practice for more than an hour or so gives me a pisscutter headache. I have always been jealous of people that could play for hours and hours without losing attention. Something tells me I might be saying "Hey, I knew that guy when he used to post on totse!" someday.
And as for you Mr.Meta, you just pack up your troubles in a song and send them to me, you've got the addy.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-20, 03:00
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Fuck I hate marijuana withdrawl

I practice whenever I can basically. Some days thats only 5 minutes, some days 5 hours.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-21, 23:28
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Fuck I hate marijuana withdrawl

quote:
Originally posted by djsam:

Btw, in reference to the song you posted here earlier. "Ali's Song" I think it was called. It was very good, however (don't mean to be rude here), but have you considered a second opinion as far as the producing is concerned? There were a couple of spots where I just thought "ouch, who was controlling the soundboard on that one?". Please don't take that the wrong way, producing and mastering is a hobby of mine, I'm always trying to improve things.



I never consider constructive criticism rude.

Yeah, there were a couple of rough spots, but it done on only a little 4-track in my bedroom.

In addition, we were in a hurry to get the tracks down as it was the night before the night I went to have that operation and thus makes that bass line the last I was ever to do with a fully functioning left hand.

Again, I may have mentioned this [I know, I have at totse, just not if I have to you, specifically], so if I sound redundant, I apologize.

The operation mentioned left me almost totally paralyzed on my left side, and the idiot Dr couldn't tell me if it was permanent or not. On top of it all, my insurance ran out before I was out of the body cast so I never received any of the physical therapy that I needed.

But I'm a stubborn old fart if anything. It took over 6 months, but I was able to regain most of the use of my leg. And except for the fact that I trip an awful lot [when I'm in a hurry, I forget that my leg doesn't lift as high as it once did and I trip over the smallest cracks in the sidewalk: I've scraped up my right knee so many times that it has a permanent scab and I don't have any pants that doesn't have a hole in the right knee. The whole thing is pretty embarrassing: I mean, for someone who can only look at the ground in front of him as he walks, I really shouldn't be tripping nearly as often as I do if at all].

As for my hand, naturally I'm left handed, and as mentioned, my left hand was almost totally unusable: I couldn't even hold a match in it. However, it only took a few tries at writing and [especially] eating with my right hand to show that I had to get back use of my left hand [you try eating with your other hand; it's way harder than one would think].

Another irony [in a life of ironies, it seems] is that I did everything left handed...but one thing. That one thing was play bass. And you know when you play bass [or any guitar] right handed, which hand is used most. So I didn't play my bass for several years.

Oh, every now and then I would get it out to try. But I would quickly get very frustrated and upset because I could still play just what I wanted: In my head, but it would get lost by the time it got to my hand. My hand just wasn't doing what the brain was telling it [I can't describe the feeling of that: of having the brain instruct and the hand ignoring it].

I finally gave in [to nagging by some friends] and started to work regularly on it. And over the months I've got enough ability back that I will record again. I doubt that I'll ever again play even 80% as well as before, but I guess I got to take what I can and be satisfied.


quote:
Originally posted by culinaryoverlord:
[BAnd as for you Mr.Meta, you just pack up your troubles in a song and send them to me, you've got the addy. [/B]


If you're refering to any new material, sure; as I get something finished I'll send it along. If you meant any old material, I can refer you to the MP3.com pages that have several songs.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics