About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-16, 11:49
Hired_Gun Hired_Gun is offline
Regular
 
Default What would you carry as a back up?

hi im just wondering what all of you would carry as a backup handgun?

i would carry the glock 30 as my back up, as its one of the smaller glocks and its 45ACP.

what would you guys carry as back ups, and have i made a good choice
 #2 
Old 2002-12-16, 12:00
Concealed Carrier Concealed Carrier is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

quote:
Originally posted by Hired_Gun:
hi im just wondering what all of you would carry as a backup handgun?

i would carry the glock 30 as my back up, as its one of the smaller glocks and its 45ACP.

what would you guys carry as back ups, and have i made a good choice



What's all this "would" shit? Do you think this all just a game or something?

G30 backup? What the heck "would" be your primary? No, let me guess. A friggin' Desert Eagle? This is, of course, assuming you actually had a gun, a permit and the balls to carry.

BTW, my backup is a tiny Kel Tec P32 loaded with 8 rds of 71 grain FMJ carried in a pocket holster in (usually) my back pocket. Primary is either a SA 1911-A1 or a Kahr P9 Covert depending on the circumstances.

cc

[This message has been edited by Concealed Carrier (edited 12-16-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-12-16, 13:25
che4rev che4rev is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

Back before poverty forced me to part with my second 1911 I carried a comander size Norinco 1911 to backup my full size Kimber. I am in the process of purchacing a very basic and inexpensive fullsize 1911 that I can customize to backup my fullsize springfield.

I am going to checker the front strap, install and fit a threaded barrel, the polish the hammer and sear, and install a reduced power mainspring.

The idea of having an identical pistol as a backup may seem a little bit John Woo, Hollywood, but I belive it is not without it's merits.

First off, when I had a comander as a backup I grew to hate it. It didn't have the same sight radius, feel, and it recoiled harder than the fullsize. But it was nice to have a backup that took not only the same ammunition, but the same magazines. The controls and grips were also identical.

The fact of the matter is that if one is carying a pistol for self defence his life depends on it. And if his life depended on it he would be a fool to use anything but the best. A climber would not carry a kite screen as a backup rope.

I donot like small pistols. They have short sight radiuses (the plural form of the word radius?), small grips, and small controls. The Glock 30 is not terrible, but the glock 21 is a much more plesant pistol to shoot.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-16, 13:50
Hired_Gun Hired_Gun is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

might sound stupid but i though of the glock 17 as my main gun! a nice 9mm with good accuracy. and the reason i thought of the glock 30 backing it up is that its a larger caliber, and it would get me out of sticky situations because its more powerfull.

i dont know whether im right or if you understand where im coming from...well i hope this doesnt make me sound more stupid...lol
 #5 
Old 2002-12-16, 15:41
ubermutant ubermutant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

lol hired gun, is that the same 17 in your other post where you said it doesn't matter if it works or not?
I used to carry a 1911 with a bersa .380 backup, but the 1911 is too noticable for my bodytype and clothes i wear. so now i jsut have the bersa. I'm currently looking for another backup.
BTW Concealed carry. what do you think about the kel-tec? you obviously trust your life with it, but i was considering buying the one in 9mm. But i've never fired or handled one. would you recommend it?


 #6 
Old 2002-12-16, 15:44
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

For a backup i have my concealed carry frag grenade! =)
 #7 
Old 2002-12-16, 16:08
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

For a backup, I'll just throw the gun really hard. I carry a knife with me all of the time and that's about the only backup I plan on having. I carry my 1911 and a spare magazine, that's about all I care to carry. If all hell breaks out and my gun doesn't work, then fuck it, I can run really fast.

A civilian carrying 2 guns is a bit of overkill. I believe in being prepared, but be realistic. The chances of me getting into a situation where I have to shoot are pretty low. The chances of me getting into a situation where I have to fire more than 17 rounds(8 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, and a spare 8 rounder) is even slimmer. The chances of me needing a second gun aren't even enough to worry about. Keep your primary gun in excellent shape and use good ammo and magazines and you're in good shape.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-16, 16:09
Armed&Angry Armed&Angry is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

I always carry a concealed Knife-Wielding Clown. I'd trust my life with nothing less.

In all seriousness, any broad recommendations for a nice, concealable handgun? I'm a rather skinny fellow (some would use the term "scrawny-ass"), so I dunno if a full size 1911 would really be that concealable on my body.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-16, 19:41
Concealed Carrier Concealed Carrier is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

quote:
Originally posted by ubermutant:
...BTW Concealed carry. what do you think about the kel-tec? you obviously trust your life with it, but i was considering buying the one in 9mm. But i've never fired or handled one. would you recommend it?




The KT P-11 has a lot going for it. 10 rds of 9mm in a very concealable and affordable (~$220) package. Most folks I know that have it recommend it highly (almost cult status), but even they will state it sometimes needs an F & B and good break-in before it will shoot reliably. The KT P11 has a much tougher DAO trigger than the Kahr, but has the advantage of restrike capability, and either 2 or 3 extra rds depending on the mag.

I went with the Kahr despite a considerably higher pricetag because it fits me even better size-wise (especially width) for CCW under light covering and I LOVED the way it shoots for me. Very natural shooter from the get go.

Hmmm...Ubermutant, I'd suggest you try one out and see what you think. Do some dry fire at least. BTW, my KT P32 has been 100% reliable out of the box and you simply cannot beat it for size and weight. Also their customer service is second to none. I suppose that's a recommendation for Kel-Tec.

cc

PS I hold anyone who can carry 2 1911s all year long in high regard. I just can't do it all the time with my body style and lifestyle. Just one big gun alone is too much for me a good deal of the time. Thus my slightly under-powered (but ALWAYS there) combo.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-16, 20:32
che4rev che4rev is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

Usualy I only carry one. When I worked for a chain of gunstores I used to transport large quantaties of weapons back and forth from one store to the other. Only when I was taking big shipments would I carry a backup.

That was a cool job, sometimes as I was leaving the store the boss would check to sure I was armed before I left. Now I am in the army, and that isn't cool at all.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-16, 21:14
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

why not carry 3? or 4? hell why not drag the SKS around incase there are some attackers at long range? i would aslo like to inquire about the quality of kel-tec arms. there ads look so damn cheap.
che4rev the word you are looking for is radii. damnit, math class was useful for something.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:50
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

quote:
so I dunno if a full size 1911 would really be that concealable on my body.


Having the right holster can make even really large fullsized guns, disappear.

I've had great seccess with the uncle mikes sidekick, iwb holster. They are reasonably cheap (about $10.00). The only downside is the material tends to only last about a year before it needs to be replaced. It does however conceal very well.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-16, 23:24
ubermutant ubermutant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

yeah i use the uncle mike's holsters. i don't have a problem with them. I use the inside the pants design. I also have an ankle holster but can't get used to wearing it.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-17, 00:24
Omni-Max Omni-Max is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

My Topic: Smacked Ass...
To: Hired_Gun

The Glock 17 is not a "accurate" weapon. My uncle recently scored a 80% with his glock (unknown model, calibre 9mm) using god knows what make of ammunition. He scored a 100% with a .38 revolver. The ironic thing is, he hates revovlers. The funny thing is, a revolver is cheaper, and yet you don't get as many shots or the ROF as you would a automatic.
So a revovler and using controlled and aimed shots = winnur. You could probally order a revolver part by part and assemble it yourself. But I'm not sure how to go about doing so.


 #15 
Old 2002-12-17, 01:32
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

Get a holster that rides high and tilts the gun towards your body. I have a fobus paddle holster and can conceal my 1911 with just an untucked tshirt. It will print a little bit and I can't bend over, but if I use a thicker shirt, then I'm fine.

I carry open most of the time, since NM's ccw law is on hold for the time being.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-17, 08:13
SKD SKD is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

rlpinca is right, though would your gun jamming warrent the need for a second handgun ?

if i carried, and i dont carry anything for self defense, i would probably have a glock 17 as my main weapon, plus a seecamp/NAA guardian/walther PPK as backup. smaller, concealable weapons.
 #17 
Old 2002-12-17, 11:17
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

Ergh, I HATE PPK's theyre soo small and gnatty...

*vaguely mentions derringers, lol*

and whats wrong with deagles? you could sure do someone a damage with one of those
 #18 
Old 2002-12-17, 16:49
Concealed Carrier Concealed Carrier is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

quote:
Originally posted by Cobranaut:
i would aslo like to inquire about the quality of kel-tec arms. there ads look so damn cheap.


Looks to me like you've already made up your mind.

cc
 #19 
Old 2002-12-17, 16:50
Omni-Max Omni-Max is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

My backup? Depending on how big I'd want it... Either a Colt Defender (.45 ACP) or a Beretta 3032 Tomcat (.22 LR, .32)

But the choice there is between power and size. As you can plainly see, the Beretta Tomcat has a smaller calibre of ammunition, but you could probally fit in it your sock.

A PPK is too James Bondish.

Shaken? Yes. Stirred? No.
 #20 
Old 2002-12-18, 05:14
SKD SKD is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

haha, PPK is a james bond gun. guess you are right

but james bondish is when you fire 20 rounds from a 10 round magazine :P

did oyu notice that in tomorrow never dies ? at the end, the guy just keeps pulling the trigger..........but i guess it is hollywood :P
 #21 
Old 2002-12-18, 19:15
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

I also am a fan of the bereta tomcat, when i move out ill get one unless theres somthing better in a couple years.

CTR
 #22 
Old 2002-12-18, 20:30
Omni-Max Omni-Max is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

Tomcats Akimbo!

bap!bap!bap!bap!bap!

Heh, if I was a gunsmith I would somehow make the tomcat into a machine pistol and manufacture extended magazines!

bapapapapap!


 #23 
Old 2002-12-20, 01:33
deltadude deltadude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

Why would u guys even carry a sidearm? I guess in a big city its logical, but even hunting dangerous game I dont bother. My
30-30 dosent jam unless i haul on the lever and snap it totally off
 #24 
Old 2002-12-20, 01:42
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

It's alot easier and more convenient to have a 1911 with you 24 hours a day than it is to have a lever action 30-30.

Most self defense situations occur at under 10 yards. I can guarantee that I could get lead flying alot faster with a handgun than with a lever action rifle.
 #25 
Old 2002-12-20, 12:57
ubermutant ubermutant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What would you carry as a back up?

ppk's and that style of pistol are no joke. they aren't as 'cool' as a desert eagle or twin uzis though. but, for conceal carry, it's an ideal sized handgun. i don't know about .32, but .380 has about a 65% one shot stop rate with regular ammunition. Put some hydra shoks in there and you have a formidable package.

as for having 2 handguns for self defense, what if you can't get to your concealed handgun? For instance if someone has pinned your arms down or you're in a certain position where you can't reach it. (in a car with your seatbelt on with your pistol in a waist holster for example.)
you'd have to release your seat belt, pull up your shirt, and draw. perhaps pull back a hammer or release a safety as well.

I guess it depends how 'paranoid' you are. its better to have a gun (or two) and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics