About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-08, 03:37
Kiafi Kiafi is offline
Regular
 
Default Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

Does anyone know how much more of a recoil a Desert Eagle .50 has over a Colt Magnum or a 'glock'?

I'm trying to convince my friend on a pointless argument on why 2 equally trained people with a Desert Eagle and a glock would be unevenly matched, and the desert eagle would win from it's sheer accuracy and stopping power, despite recoil and clip size.

Am I wrong? Or should I just do something better and more constructive with my time? (please give a real answer)
 #2 
Old 2002-12-08, 04:44
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
Originally posted by Kiafi:
a Colt Magnum or a 'glock'?




Which one? There's a shitload of different glocks and I have no clue as to what you mean by colt magnum.

A heavier recoiling pistol will be slower to reaquire a target than a light recoiling one.

In the situation that you are talking about, there's no way to tell who would win if they were shooting at each other. There's far too many variables. A slight difference in accuracy is rarely relevant in a gunfight. The heavier gun would be slower to draw and aim. Guns don't win gunfights, shooters do. So there's not really any way to say which gun will win.

The desert eagle doesn't use a clip, it uses a magazine. And I wouldn't necessarily refer to it as "sheer accuracy". It's not like it's a target or match grade gun.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:15
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

i havent fired a desert eagle personally but from what i hear the recoil is not as terrible as most people imagine because of the weight and shape of the gun.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:16
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

btw what does this have to do with the right to bear arms? im moving it to weapons and combat
 #5 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:24
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

Damnit, you moved this topic just when i was about to click "post".. now i lost everything lol.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:28
che4rev che4rev is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

Desert Eagles don't kick all that bad considering the round they fire as they are heavy guns. By contrast the recoil of a Glock in .40 s&w is considerable amount more than one might think as it has a very light frame. Felt recoil is a very relative thing that can be effected by the load of the round, the action of the pistol, the weight of the pistol, porting, gas retardation (P7), length, and geometry.

What the fuck is a Colt Magnum? Are you refering to a Colt Single Action Army in .357 or .44 magnum or one of the other revolvers made by Colt? I have some advice for you; Buy a copy of the Gun Digest, or just get some good gun magazines and READ them!
 #7 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:28
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

it depends if the desert eagle is gold plated or not.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:28
Hired_Gun Hired_Gun is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

im proberly wrong but dont the desert eagle have much less recoil because its gas powered or something
 #9 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:37
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
Does anyone know how much more of a recoil a Desert Eagle .50 has over a Colt Magnum or a 'glock'?


Colt Magnum = .44MAG?

Glock = .22CAL? 9MM? 10MM? .40S&W? .357SIG? .45ACP?

There's a noteable difference between .50A&E and .44MAG, although there is a profound difference between those two and a 9MM.

quote:
I'm trying to convince my friend on a pointless argument on why 2 equally trained people with a Desert Eagle and a glock would be unevenly matched


I would agree they are unevenly matched, i'd put my money of the 9MM glock.

I can put three COM shots from my 9MM in less than a second and follow up with a head shot. I wouldn't dream of doing that with a .44MAG or .50AE

Plus any premium 9MM (.355) generally will reliably expand to twice it's size. Putting it on a almost a equal playing field.

quote:
the desert eagle would win from it's sheer accuracy


What? Who says this gun is accurate? The desert eagle has no special powers other than accepting the larger .50AE round. I think you might be confusing the .50AE with the .50BMG, which is truely a accurate round.

quote:
stopping power


Is really a myth... The only true one shot stop is to the upper spinal cord (CNS) or brain. Unlike what you see in the movies, it wouldn't be uncommon for a individual to take a tweleve gauge slug COM and still take a few steps foward, spin around before they drop due to loss of blood pressure.

.50AE isn't even shit when compared to the .454casual, .475wildley mag, .480rowland, .600 nitro express.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:38
beatmeofficer beatmeofficer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
The fly in the ointment of the .50 AE, of course, is recoil. There is plenty of it, in either autoloader or revolver. To wit, shooting the Speer factory load in a 3 pound handgun socks the shooter's hand with about 36.3 ft. lbs. of recoil energy, and in a 4.5 pound gun the recoil is still on the order of 24.2 ft. lbs. of wrist damaging energy.
From this website.

I think the Desert Eagle is just too much gun for self defense. It's too big and heavy and recoils too hard. Besides, if you really need the .50AE round you'd better re-evaluate whatever it is you're doing...
 #11 
Old 2002-12-08, 19:40
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
im proberly wrong but dont the desert eagle have much less recoil because its gas powered or something


No.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-08, 21:08
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

I've fired a Desert Eagle(sorry, it wasn't gold plated ) and the recoil on it was pretty damn strong. It wasn't unmanageable, but it still got your attention pretty damn good, lots of noise too.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-09, 04:29
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

The one who successfully hits his opponent first will likely be the winner. Duh. Any good training course emphasizes aquiring the target before firing, not spraying lead in the general direction. It can be a .22 shot, but it's still going to absolutely screw your opponent's aim and give even the heaviest gun time to reaquire.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-09, 07:18
Hune Hune is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

I could be wrong, but being shot by either pretty much means your going down, especially if the most "optimal" ammunition is used.

If you have two equally well trained individuals, I would have to say the average glock comes out on top.

The Glock handles better IMO. IT feels more "alive" in your hands then the Eagle. It's recoil is more manageable making follow up shots faster and more accurate. I believe a competant firer could get off a "double tap" before the Eagle could be drawn and aimed. This is true for the myriad glocks chambered for 9mm, .40, and .45 etc. The superior stopping power from .357 or .50 AE in a desert eagle is completely negated if you can't hit what your aiming at before you adversary tags you. The eagle is just more unwieldy and more ponderous then the average Glock.

Think About:
M1 garand vs. MP5
or
M14(yes M-fourteen) vs. Ak47 (note reference to Vietnam)

 #15 
Old 2002-12-09, 13:27
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
The superior stopping power from .357 or .50 AE in a desert eagle is completely negated if you can't hit what your aiming at before you adversary tags you.


Which is still complete bullshit unless you're talking about hunting small and large game.

Glock VS DE... screw that gimme a tweleve gauge with a tight choke, filled to the top with 00 buck. I'll open up a nice wound channel and you'll bleed out quicker than you can say "I Love Poop".
 #16 
Old 2002-12-09, 22:23
JakeTakeoko JakeTakeoko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

I don't know much about guns, but I do know where you got Desert Eagle and Colt Magnum. Desert Eagle was brought in by Hollywood. They use them in a lot of movies because they look nice. Colt Magnum he probably got from a video game or some tomb raider movie.

I am sick of the amount of kids talking about guns (Oh yeah, my daddy has a .45ACP 9mm!). People see one gun and look at the name, dump the technics and keep the name (Colt, Magnum, Beretta, Glock). I do not know muchabout guns, and before anyone jumps down my throat, I figured I might as well say it. Though I can tell the difference between a Glock 17 and a Beretta M-9. Video games make up so much crap about guns (Godeneye: Soviet, Klogg, PPK, etc ) kids read them and prance around like they are Samuel Colt ( dude who invented the first colt revolver, obviously). Until you go online and look at specs, or look at magazines or ASK US AT TOTSE, you're going to make yourself look like a dumbass.
I'm done!!
 #17 
Old 2002-12-10, 06:53
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

The guns in Goldeneye weren't really that far off, you know. The KF7 was an obvious AK47 and performed fairly well. The Klobb was as shitty as a real Skorpion. The PP7 was the same dinky handgun as the PPK. The Magnums were fun, but I still don't think I could speedload two Rugers at once...
 #18 
Old 2002-12-10, 18:56
The pharmacist The pharmacist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

M1 garand against an MP5???? thats quite a mismatch there.
 #19 
Old 2002-12-10, 19:00
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

the guns are about the last thing that matters. i mean how can you say "M1 vs. Mp5" and decide who wins?
 #20 
Old 2002-12-10, 19:35
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

I would to argue that in some small aspect the firearm and caliber does make a difference. Personally i will not carry anything smaller than a nine millimeter.

My advice is to start off small. Twenty two caliber for trigger technique, etc. for the new shooter and then work your way up to the largest caliber you can shoot effectively and profiencently.
 #21 
Old 2002-12-10, 20:35
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
Originally posted by I Love Poop:
Personally i will not carry anything smaller than a nine millimeter.



your just paranoid. but i was saying in the m1 vs. mp5 scenario. i mean is one guy hiding somewhere and is unseen? is the guy with the mp5 500 yards away? i was saying you can't name 2 guns and decide which one would win in a fight. oh and about the caliber thing. someone might be physically able to take a .22 in the chest but i don't think many people are mentally prepared to be shot, as in "oh my good!! i've been hit!ahhhhhh!"*baddie runs away in terror*

edit: yes it's better to be paranoid than dead....or whatever you say poop.

[This message has been edited by Cobranaut (edited 12-10-2002).]
 #22 
Old 2002-12-10, 20:49
Rangoon Rangoon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
Originally posted by Hune:

Think About:
M1 garand vs. MP5
or
M14(yes M-fourteen) vs. Ak47 (note reference to Vietnam)




I had a dream that I had a M1 but it was to heavy and long and I couldnt aim for shit so Id go for the MP5. Yes I know im crazy
 #23 
Old 2002-12-10, 21:22
JakeTakeoko JakeTakeoko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

MP5A5 With surefire add ons, 100 round magazine, 3x scope, detachable stock and all the other bells and whistles I missed. VErsus M-1...A1... Heh.. Whenever people start saying M-1, I think of the tank.

MP5 vs M1A1

Winner: M1A1 (or MP5 if it had depleated uranium rounds and or grenade launcher attachment.
 #24 
Old 2002-12-10, 23:19
Hune Hune is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
the guns are about the last thing that matters. i mean how can you say "M1 vs. Mp5" and decide who wins?


This quote is taken out of context. My post DID imply if under the circumstances both individuals were equally well trained, but yes I failed to name all the variables, such as range between combatants, number of combatants, cover, concealment etc. But that post was in response to the topic starter below.

quote:
I'm trying to convince my friend on a pointless argument on why 2 equally trained people with a Desert Eagle and a glock would be unevenly matched, and the desert eagle would win from it's sheer accuracy and stopping power, despite recoil and clip size/


Maybe what I should have added was:

Now think about a M1 Garand vs MP5.

What few circumstances in which the superior accuracy, supposed superior stopping power, and heavy recoil, and limited capacity would make the M1 garand come out on top over the MP5?

Now think about M-14 vs. Ak47

ditto.




[This message has been edited by Hune (edited 12-11-2002).]
 #25 
Old 2002-12-14, 01:19
John Q Public John Q Public is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

The amount of ignorance that abounds within some of these threads is absolutely stupifying.

Hey! What will kill a guy quicker? An Alien Death Ray X9000 or a rubber-band gun?

I dunno....depends on whether or not ur rubber-band gun is laced with paperclips.

Lord, save us from the morons.
 #26 
Old 2002-12-14, 05:07
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

I didn't think the ADR X9000 was out yet. The magazines have been saying that it's not hitting stores until late next year.

So since most people can't get the X9000, the rubber band gun would probably be the winner.
 #27 
Old 2002-12-14, 18:33
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

quote:
I didn't think the ADR X9000 was out yet.


I had to put the ADR X9000 on special order through my local ffl =)

I can't seem to find a decent quality holster for it though =(
 #28 
Old 2002-12-15, 02:26
Oken Oken is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

Hmm glock or desert eagle. Well i'd say the glock(a .45mm just becuase a 9mm is a shitty caliber when it comes to knockdown power) A .45 is a trauma gun and in glock form very very light due to being pretty much all plastic except for its barrel. It could be drawn and fired at the person with d.e. before the d.e. could be drawn due to extreme weight and bukliness. this is considering that the combatants are equal in every aspect.
 #29 
Old 2002-12-15, 13:12
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

Even when considering the federal nine millimeter jhp 124grain +P+ puts out the same energy as a 230grain .45, the nine millimeter generally reliably expands to twice it's size (from .355 to approx .6-.7") and leaves the barrel at little over 1,200fps?

Shot placement.. shot placement.. shot placement.. say it three times really fast =)
 #30 
Old 2002-12-15, 17:14
CDG CDG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

shot placement....shot pleaseman...shot policeman
 #31 
Old 2002-12-18, 21:47
REAPA REAPA is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Glock vrs. Desert Eagle

depending on the kind of gun fight were talking about, one factor that could work to the DE's advantage is penetration [dont get any ideas], i dont know if anyone has acctually looked at a .50AE's ballistics but you need some damn substancial cover to stop one of those things.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics