|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-11-02, 18:38
|
Barghest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
Does anyone remember in those martial-arts films like Bruce-Lee's 'Enter the Dragon' where the villain uses this type of claw weapon?
The closest thing I've found when searching around was the ninja's 'shuko' and the tiger claw used by Brahmins in India, but those aren't the one's I'm looking for. I'm talking about something much longer like the one Vega from "Street Fighter II" uses.
I don't think they ever existed but I've seen em' used many times in kung-fu movies and I want to know where I can find a weapon like that or at least get some info on it.
|
|
#2
 2002-11-02, 19:41
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
I don't have any historical information besides our bandito friends in India, but I do have a bit of practical knowledge to contribute.
I've seen plans and pictures of Vega style claws affixed to armlets and other devices that strap to the wrists; These are univerally useless. There will be entirely too much leeway and movement between your hand, wrist, and arm to make an effective blow with the claws.
The best way to handle claws is with the age old "punch claw", essentially three nails pounded through a dowel that you hold onto. Longer slashing style claws can be made by affixing a center handle (which you hold in your palm) to a plate that rests on the back of your hand. The claws are affixed to this. As long as you maintain a good grip on the handle the claws should remain stable enough relative to your hand to be a useful weapon.
~Zero
|
|
#3
 2002-11-02, 19:46
|
Mack 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
Forhet the claw, buy a brasknuckle(sp?) and thats enough.
Man Zero knows a lot of stuff, Ill have some questions to ask, but later, he always give a good knowledge reply.
As you see this reply is useles, but if you want something effective on your hand just take a brassknuckle.
|
|
#4
 2002-11-03, 03:56
|
Barghest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
Thanks for the info Zero!
I agree about the hand mobility problem of these weapons and that's why I want one with a handle only and no wrist-straps. I also wanna know what kind of blades I can use for the claws and how I can attach them to the backhand plate. Will it require welding? I was thinking of something that has cutting edges and preferably something with hooked tips like a falx.
And yeah, brass knuckles are cool and I totally want one but they are illegal here and many internet stores won't carry them. 'Bud K' already got rid of their stock of these really cool dragon knuckledusters when I last checked.
[This message has been edited by Barghest (edited 11-03-2002).]
[This message has been edited by Barghest (edited 11-03-2002).]
|
|
#5
 2002-11-03, 04:44
|
Phantom 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
here you go. Get 5 identical blades, you could go get a bunch of tac knives somewhere certianly for 5 bucks a peice. You also need, some pipe, probably about as wide as the blade, a hacksaw, a few washers appropriately sized, a bolt and nut, also an appropriate size, and bb's for weight if you want. I think you know where I'm going with this. I'm sure you can figure it out. On mine I put an additional, thinner bolt above the finger grip for protection, but that required me drilling a hole in the blades.
|
|
#6
 2002-11-03, 14:02
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
If you're going to go that route I would dull the bases of the blades with a file so you don't run the risk of slashing up your own palm.
If you constructed the blades right you could just drill some holes and bolt them to the back plate. Otherwise it would require welding, as that's the only other viable option for durability.
You could, I suppose, cut the plate and blades as once piece. It would take a little bit of work with tempering and such to make this work with regular plate steel, but I'll wager it could be done.
~Zero
|
|
#7
 2002-11-08, 20:20
|
Barghest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
Again, thanks for the advice.
I don't really want to go through all the trouble of welding, so my plan instead is to use 3 or 4 tanto-tipped throwing knives with skeletonized handles(the kind with holes in them ) put a metal wire though the handle holes(wrapping it in tin-foil for stuffing) and tying up the wire around a pipe or heavy cilindrical object to serve as a handle and to add force to the strikes.
As for the backhand plate, I don't exactly know how to attach the knives to it. Although I did get this idea about using a kickboxing glove/hand-potector for the claw instead of a plate. Will this work?
[This message has been edited by Barghest (edited 11-08-2002).]
|
|
#8
 2002-11-08, 22:51
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
That depends. You would need something rigid.
~Zero
|
|
#9
 2002-11-13, 19:48
|
OniOuji 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
You could try soldering or brazing it on the screwing on metal plates over the top for support.
Tell if that would workor not becuase i thought of doing something like your idea before and thats what i came up with
|
|
#10
 2002-11-14, 01:46
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
����That might do it. Adding a rigid element to an existing padded guard or glove could provide the stability needed for an effective weapon. It would depend on how you attached the plate, of course.
~Zero
|
|
#11
 2002-11-17, 15:57
|
OniOuji 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
One of my mates has made a similar weapon to this he's showed it to me yesterday and when he used it he ripped a huge chunk outta this tree in his garden with it. Its basicly a paded leather glove with a metal plate and then another thin leather glove ontop and he's screwed this barbed razor blade things along where your finger bones go along the back of your hand with small spikes in it to(there basicly to make it look nastyer than it is the razors do the most damage) anyway we shredded one of his punch bags with it. Its mainly for scare though it looks alot nastyer than it actually is allthough i'd still hate to be hit by it
|
|
#12
 2002-11-18, 18:22
|
Barghest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
When I was a kid I made a similar weapon only it was more of a Freddy Krueger-esque type of claw (i.e. the knives were attached to your fingers therefore you could move them). I made it by taking a fingerless leather glove and putting steak knives in the fingerholes. I never actually tested it but I'm pretty sure you could cause someone a pretty good amount of hurting with it.
Although I'm more interested in creating a vega or wolverine type of claw. An idea I have now is to drive some knives(preferably hooked) from the inside to the outside of a karate sparring glove (the kind with the palm of the hand exposed for grappling) and of course reinforcing it by adding a metal plate on the back and putting a cylindrical metal object as a handle/hand-load.
Also, Does anyone know where I can find online blueprints for the vega claw?
|
|
#13
 2002-11-18, 21:32
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
����I haven't seen anything meaningful online. ����I used to have a between-the-fingers claw that was very effective in my youth. It was a really simple affair, with three hook blades for a scraper spaced out with bits of wooden dowel, drilled through the center and bolted. It worked wonders. I have fond memories of cutting down small trees with the thing. Unfortunately, I at length lost it and have yet to find more hook shaped scraper blades to build a new one.
~Zero
|
|
#14
 2002-11-19, 02:02
|
CDG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
at a local swapmeet, i saw this brass knuckle, with blades folding out of both sides. I dont know if this might be what you want, but it in some ways would fit the description.
|
|
#15
 2002-11-29, 18:23
|
Barghest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
I've thought about it and come to think of it I think that putting the knives on the back of the hand will cause stability problems, causing the blades to sway around and may also just fall off when fighting.
So I'm starting to consider the idea of the between-the-fingers claw now since the fingers can keep the claws firmly in place. My idea now is to take a small piece of wood about the length of the palm of my hand and cutting 3 gaps on it to fit 3 single-edged throwing knives to it. I will also put a band to strap it to my hand so I can't drop it while fighting.
Any suggestions on this?
|
|
#16
 2002-11-29, 21:07
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
����If you can affix the knives solidly I think that would work quite nicely.
~Zero
|
|
#17
 2002-11-30, 20:14
|
OniOuji 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
That would be realy cool how could you make it secure enough to work and be able to quickly drop it, i dont get how that would work
|
|
#18
 2002-12-01, 03:14
|
Barghest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
quote: Originally posted by OniOuji: That would be realy cool how could you make it secure enough to work and be able to quickly drop it, i dont get how that would work
It's actually a kind of unneccesary thing. What I meant was to have a leather strip like a wristband(preferably spiked) that keeps it strapped to your hand and won't be dropped in case the opponent delivers a blow to your hand. The end result would look kinda like a glove only the claws remain under the palm of the hand instead of the back. If I had some blueprints of it I'd show you what I meant.
|
|
#19
 2002-12-01, 14:07
|
OniOuji 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
wat about those gloves they had in the origanal rollerball film
|
|
#20
 2002-12-01, 14:25
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
����I've never seen it. Can you describe them?
~Zero
|
|
#21
 2002-12-17, 18:36
|
Kuma 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
It would be effective i think but for one thing, anything that sets inside the palm of the hand is going to cause a problem when trying to form a fist. While i know that some things, like a roll of pennies, will make the fist harder, if there is anything like spikes or blades that doesnt project between the fingures could injure the user. Or imagaine trying a choke hold, where you grip one arm with your other hand for leverage...ouch, lol. (at least that is how i understand what you are saying, if i misunderstood feel free to correct me)  But not a bad idea.
|
|
#22
 2002-12-17, 23:03
|
ebeneezer goode 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
all these answers are interestring but the one thing forgotten is concealability. you wouldn't get five minutes without being stopped with a big fuck off claw strapped to your arm. a nice little T-shaped push dagger would be a lot more practical.
|
|
#23
 2002-12-17, 23:21
|
Kuma 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
Hmm, didnt notice anything about concealing the weapon, just a fun Saturday project.
As far as concealment you simple go with a snub nose or small knife, i think he was just asking about something and how to make it for fun, at least that is as i understood it, sorry if i was incorrect.
|
|
#24
 2002-12-17, 23:47
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
����One of the main points of the claw is for it to look badass. Concealability is just not a factor in this case. ����I get your plan, but it could be improved. For attaching the claws I would use bent pieces of metal formed into a hollow T shape. You could bolt these directly to the deck, as it were, of the claw. Also, slashing with a device like this will put all of the stress of the blow on the straps holding the arrangement onto your arm. I think the best course of action would be to simply have a large piece of heavy fabric as the strap that is as long as the armlet portion of the claw and secures with velcro on the ends. This way the force of the blow would be spread along your entire forearm. This would make the weapon less prone to fall off and much less prone to cut of the circulation to and/or break your arm.
~Zero
|
|
#25
 2002-12-18, 00:35
|
Kuma 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
Hmmm, i like the idea Zero, and as a matter of fact, i had thought of the stress problem, but couldn't figure out a good way to deal with it, thanks again 
|
|
#26
 2002-12-22, 00:34
|
OniOuji 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: kung-fu claw/talon weapon.
yeah... zero's the greatest...
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|