|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-31, 18:36
|
Barghest 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Knife Throwing
Does anyone know any good books or where to get lessons on combat knife throwing? I've heard that throwing your knife at an opponent is not recommended but I know that there are times when it may be neccesary to do so(Like when he has a gun).
Also, Can anyone recommend a good knife(preferably a folder) for both hand-to-hand combat and throwing? I'm not really convinced by the idea of carrying around multiple throwing knives strapped to my ankles or wrists. It's just kinda inconvienient.
|
|
#2
 2002-10-31, 20:28
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Knife Throwing
Unless you drop a lot of cash on it, throwing your folding knife at stuff will break it in short order.
I don't know any links or books offhand, but I can offer you a few pointers if you so desire...
~Zero
|
|
#3
 2002-10-31, 21:23
|
che4rev 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Knife Throwing
Folders don't typicaly throw well- it is not in their nature. Also the shock of being thrown will fuck them up and make them loose prety quick.
I like the cold steel thrower. If you want a good combat knife that also throws well the EK combat knife is very nice.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-31, 21:30
|
rlpinca 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Knife Throwing
There's a good book on throwing that sometimes is available as a set with Gil Hibben throwers.
|
|
#5
 2002-11-01, 04:25
|
kingenrage 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Knife Throwing
practice with a flat kitchen knife... do not attempt to trow it te spinning way ( te way magitians trow it when performing ) it will go everywhere.
place the knife ( sharp end towards target ) in ur palm. hold it with ur thumb. put ur arm to the side, the knife facing the rear. and bring up ur arm as u wanna trow a punch. without letting go of the knife practice a couple of times until ur arm goes on the desiered hiegth. then try once and let go of the knife. it should fly well. but may not be accurate. u can work on that... practice makes perfect. I hope this helped. oh and one last thing. instead of wonderin wut kind of a knife to use go to dollarama and get a dozen of those kitchen knifes. u wont be crying if u lose urs of u wont be defenceless when ur enemy picks up ur knife
|
|
#6
 2002-11-01, 08:34
|
sph3ric pyramid 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Knife Throwing
Get an Outdoor Edge Magna with the Zytel scales. They were just recently discontinued, so there are plenty out there.
It's kinda big, but the balance is right on. Some guy at bladeforums uses it as a thrower for demonstrations, and it hasn't broken/fucked up the lock yet. And it's pretty heavy.
But you'll probably want to just buy two throwers and a tactical folder. Not too heavy at all; I occasionally carry around 4-5 folders with no trouble.
peace out. sph3ric pyramid.
|
|
#7
 2002-11-01, 12:14
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Knife Throwing
I have the cutest little set of Fury wedge-point throwing knives that I normally use. They normally come two to a sheath and set, but I have about six sets of them. They're four inches at their longest but still satisfyingly heavy and they fly very well.
I know most people's opinions on using small and light throwing knives in combat, but these were dirt cheap and they fly well, and have done wonders for me to practice with. I can throw better scores on the dartboard with my little Fury knives than most people can do with normal darts. They're safe to chuck around indoors, too.
If that's not your tatse I'll second the dollar store steak knife recommendation. Once you learn to throw those pieces of crap with accuracy you can throw anything.
Set up a chunk of plywood or strand board on the back of your garage, draw the target of your choice at it, take six paces back, and throw knives at it until you get the hang of it. There are at least three ways to throw a knife that I can think of, and two that I am proficient in.
The first and hardest, though generally the fastest, is the dart method. You hold the knife blade foward between your thumb and first and/or second fingers and sling it at your target. You can't use this effectively with any knife with a large or shaped handle, fat blade, or hilt. It's just about the only way to use throwing spikes, however.
The second and most commonly seen is the flipping method. This will work with quite literally any knife that has a point on it once you get the hang of it. I prefer to hold the blade of the knife to give myself the spin. All you need to do is judge the distance within a yard or so and wing the knife such that it lands point first. It's best to have several cheap knives when you're starting out, as you will throw lots of handle shots, flat shots, and edgewise shots that don't stick in the target. This will annoy you immensely if you have only one knife and you have to go pick it up every time you miss.
I prefer to hold the point of the blade, with the flat face parallel to the ground. You often see people throwing with the blade vertical, but I find this very difficult to do for the beginner and rather counterproductive. When you first start, concentrate on the spin of the knife rather than the power and work on making it land point first. Once you can do this, try putting power behind the knife, and once you can do that try doing it from different distances.
Learning to throw knives is lots of fun, but in order to do it effectively you will need to practice a lot. Best of luck to you, and have fun.
~Zero
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|