About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-19, 17:32
Nokutaan Nokutaan is offline
Regular
 
Default What weapon do you carry around?

Do not tell me a gun,I mean a non-firearm.

I want to carry something for personal defense around,because I'm a big paranoid,and I think a knife is too small(In my opinion a good weapon should also scare the enemy),so what do you carry around? And what would you if you could?(Again,not a firearm).

Also,post how to build it with cheap materials if you know how.

I mean,something like a sword,an axe or something like that,but not too big.

[This message has been edited by Nokutaan (edited 10-19-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-10-19, 18:14
che4rev che4rev is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Why not a gun? Are you a fellon or something? Are you a homosexual anti-gun person? Do you not want an effective and safe way to defend yourself?

People who use weapons to scare people are pussys and psycos. The only time the enemy should see that you have a weapon is when you draw it to kill him. A weapon is not something one brandishes to terrorize people.

It fucking pisses me off that people like you give weapon owners a bad name by taking them to school and trying to show the world what a big man they are by using their weapon on their unarmed classmates.

If you want to intimidate people go hang out outside your local pre school and start pushing people around. (I hope the little bastards gang up on you and beat your ass.)

 #3 
Old 2002-10-19, 19:46
e-ray e-ray is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Try to intimidate people with a melee weapon and non-existing skills, and you'll get your ass kicked sooner or later. With your own weapon maybe...unless of course the other guy has a gun and shoots you.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-19, 20:18
Nokutaan Nokutaan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Not a gun because they are illegal here. Period.

And I don't want it to show off or intimidate people everyday,but if you are getting attacked,usually it's safer just to scare the one attacking you,I don't want to kill anyone. And I don't like fights,but as I said,I'm a paranoid and I usually think someone will start a fight with me just because <insert dumb reason here>
 #5 
Old 2002-10-20, 00:49
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

my dick. it so big that i just slap them across the face
 #6 
Old 2002-10-20, 03:29
PuppetHunter PuppetHunter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

expandable batons are sweeeeeet...

but lets face it, the current baton technique used by the police are kinda... simplified...

if you were to do some training with Filipino stick fighting and carry around an expandable baton I think you'd be able to confidently handle everything from some drunk idiot to a baseball bat to a knife to multiple opponents..
 #7 
Old 2002-10-20, 06:10
che4rev che4rev is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Sorry about that last comment. I don't really hope that you are beaten down by a bunch of preschoolers.

Where are you from where guns are illegal?
 #8 
Old 2002-10-20, 13:00
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I'm growing more and more partial to my three part staff as a concealable and very effective weapon. Unfortunately, these are also illegal in most civilized locales... Though I cannot fathom why.

~Zero
 #9 
Old 2002-10-20, 14:40
Nokutaan Nokutaan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I'm from spain. Well,you can have guns here but getting one is extremely hard,and expensive. Like only for police and so.

About the baton thing,yeah,I though about a stick or something,no one is going to get you to jail because you carry a stick around... But I wouldn't know how to use it as a weapon,I'd probably try to use it as a lightsaber... too much star wars.

If you have a "stick-fighting for dummies" ebook and if possible a guide on how to make a good stick myself tell me please.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-20, 19:22
PuppetHunter PuppetHunter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

yeah yo check out Filipino stick fighting... once i'm proficient enough in my current kung fu style I�m going to spend some time on the stick fighting...

i didn't know guns were illegal in Spain, sux for you.

i was in Spain once... it was funny all the government buildings are guarded by MP's with like WW2 grease guns... hahahah we all got a good laugh out of that..
 #11 
Old 2002-10-20, 22:31
Nokutaan Nokutaan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

What's a MP?

And I have looked around google for info on stick fighting, but I haven't found too much... Any ideas on where to look/what to read/etc? eBooks if possible, since I don't think filipino stick fighting is very popular here.
 #12 
Old 2002-10-20, 23:22
PuppetHunter PuppetHunter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

MP=Military Police

Actaully that's just the U.S. army word for it, different militaries call it different things.

Stick fighting is also called Arnis..

i searched with google and found a bunch of stuff.. i don't think you'll find any free ebooks though..
 #13 
Old 2002-10-21, 06:37
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

quote:
Do not tell me a gun,I mean a non-firearm.


Why not? After all you ask "What weapon do you carry around?"

I carry a firearm whenever i'm not at home. I'll leave the less than lethal items for the unfortunite individuals.

It's a toss up between my P228 or USP C .40, depends on my mood i suppose.
 #14 
Old 2002-10-21, 07:14
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Pair of extend a chucks. Sweet shit. Buy them, know them, never leave anywhere without them.

Get a decently priced pair at www.knifeco.com, do a search for 'extend a chuck'
 #15 
Old 2002-10-21, 11:45
gun-nut gun-nut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

BB zipgun: MK3S2 (a homemade basically)
how cheap: within $10, lots of them
materials: straws, tapes, fasteners, ice cream sticks, stapler gun, a box of party
popper...

materials for 1 gun: a straw, 1 fastener,
6 ice cream sticks, a couple of staplets,
within 1 metre long of tapes

ammunition: 6 x 35 mm BB (homemade)

capacity: single shot

sound: party popper

power: bleeding within 3 to 4 metre, a
decent stun gun

sight: custom (built it yourself)

legalness: firearm (what do you think ?)

attachements: supressor (DIY)

est. gross cost per gun: $2.50

est. gross cost per ammo: $0.10

advantage: a gun with some power, but not
enough to kill the attacker
(eyeshots and throatshots are exception)

disadvantage: single shot gives limited
power

i have the plans, but not very detailed.
building of the gun is according to your
favourite...
 #16 
Old 2002-10-21, 19:18
rage rage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

first off regardless of what you carry your own paranoia would probably make it useless
and become your worse enemy.If someone decides to attack their is a chance there not going to be scared off by being shown a weapon.Secondly paranoid people that just go out and get a weapon be it a stick or a bazooka tend to end up having it shoved up their asses or end up in prison for allowing their paranoia to take over at the worse possible time and someone gets hurt or possibly killed.The best weapon one could carry istheirselves.I think you shouldwork on some kind of self defense/martial arts training and go from there.Again your mind is your best weapon everything else is a extension of this
rage
 #17 
Old 2002-10-21, 21:15
Nokutaan Nokutaan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I studied karate for 3 years,and hey,I'm paranoic,but it's not like I'm not going to attack everyone I see because he/she is suspicious... I'm more of a defensive person,except if I get attacked first... (i.e. if someone is "following me" I won't turn around and cut him with a katana,I will probably just walk faster).

*edited* There is an exception to this rule,if someone appears suddendly near me scaring me I will probably punch him or something like that before even looking at him. Ask my mother if you don't believe it .

[This message has been edited by Nokutaan (edited 10-21-2002).]
 #18 
Old 2002-10-21, 21:27
PuppetHunter PuppetHunter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

gun-nut what the hell are you talking about... how do you make a firearm out of popsicle sticks and a party popper...
 #19 
Old 2002-10-21, 22:33
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

You don't. Not an effective one, anyway.

~Zero
 #20 
Old 2002-10-21, 22:35
kingenrage kingenrage is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

get a butterfly knife and know how to do lil neat tricks with it... it can get quite intimidating.
or just get a machetty ( sp ) bigger then your arm. that should help
 #21 
Old 2002-10-22, 19:26
e-ray e-ray is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

quote:
And I have looked around google for info on stick fighting, but I haven't found too much... Any ideas on where to look/what to read/etc? eBooks if possible, since I don't think filipino stick fighting is very popular here.




Dan Inosanto's "Filipino Martial Arts":
http://junfan.web1000.com/no-way.htm (I've never seen such crappy scans before, though...)
 #22 
Old 2002-10-26, 00:45
Richy Richy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

if you really do want to protect yourself, use your brain. dont walk alone in the park at night, dont go harrassing drunken wogs/asians or their girls for that matter, and dont pick fights with the bouncer. if you are assaulted by some punk with a knife, then spit on him/scream wildly, etc..anything to delay him for a second or two...then run! run like you have never ran before! usually your adrenaline rush will allow you to outrun him. this advice comes from a pal who was rolled once. he screamed jibberish in the guys face and ran his booty off
 #23 
Old 2002-10-26, 13:01
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

trolley pole.
 #24 
Old 2002-10-26, 13:20
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

The same adrenaline rush that makes you run faster will also help the pissed off guy with spit all over his face run faster too.

I carry a knife and sometimes pepper spray.

I've carried a knife with me everyday since I was about 13. Since then I've been in around 70 or 80 fights. I've pulled a knife only twice. Once was when I was getting robbed at an ATM(stabbed the guy and he almost bled to death) and the other was when someone was losing a fight and pulled a knife on me. Don't pull any weapon out just to avoid getting beat on. Only pull it if you are willing to kill the person in that situation and take responsiblity for your actions.

 #25 
Old 2002-10-26, 13:42
Nokutaan Nokutaan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I have some sort of pocket knife I carry around if I'm somewhere especially dangerous,but it just sucks,I would probably defend myself better with my fists.

That's why I started this thread anyway,I tried that ebook link but the server had used all the bw or something like that,anyway I'll try later.

About outrunning punks,it would only work if I'm near some safe place. I can run quite fast but I get tired quickly,though I guess the adrenaline would help.
 #26 
Old 2002-10-26, 19:55
lamar lamar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

i carry a knife and have had to use it on one occasion. i would prefer a gun but the cops here in canada wont allow it. never pull a weapon unless you have the will to follow through and use it before the other guy even sees it
 #27 
Old 2002-10-26, 20:01
lamar lamar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamar
i carry a knife and have had to use it on one occasion. i would prefer a gun but the cops here in canada wont allow it. never pull a weapon unless you have the will to follow through and use it before the other guy even sees it
 #28 
Old 2002-10-26, 21:59
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

quote:
Originally posted by rlpinca:


I've carried a knife with me everyday since I was about 13. Since then I've been in around 70 or 80 fights.



Thats alot of fights,

CTR
 #29 
Old 2002-10-26, 23:09
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I was somewhat of an alcoholic and went to alot of bars while I was in Cali. It doesn't help that I'm a smart ass and rarely pass up an opportunity to offer my 2 cents.


I know it sounds like bullshit, but that's a fairly accurate estimate.
 #30 
Old 2002-10-27, 15:30
lamar lamar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I dont go looking for trouble because there is always plenty gonna come along sooner or later. Picking a fight in or outside a bar with someone you dont know can be fatal. Ive had a screwdriver put through my ribs by a guy one night over nothing more than a look. Im 6'2" and wiegh in at 235lbs and know how to take care of myself, but the only dirty fight is the one you lose. I never even saw it coming, now i watch peoples reactions much more carefully and keep my mouth shut and my ears open.
 #31 
Old 2002-10-27, 15:51
lifezucks lifezucks is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

syphon
how did you become a moderator?why would you even take the truoble to post that. This kid is to weak to fight and prouble to lazy to work out so he wants them to run away no fight no strugggle i still think fighting is life but my god keep it in your pants here.

-kick ass
 #32 
Old 2002-10-27, 19:00
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

quote:
Originally posted by rlpinca:
I was somewhat of an alcoholic and went to alot of bars while I was in Cali. It doesn't help that I'm a smart ass and rarely pass up an opportunity to offer my 2 cents.


I know it sounds like bullshit, but that's a fairly accurate estimate.

Ever since the thread on headers i belive you.

CTR

 #33 
Old 2002-10-28, 00:19
Bleed666 Bleed666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

a 3.5in knife, with a sexy curve... i almost knifed some guy today who was beatin on my friend, but then he stopped
 #34 
Old 2002-10-28, 03:32
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Zero can you give me a link to a site where i can see and/or read about a 3 part staff.

CTR
 #35 
Old 2002-10-28, 17:33
poopmaker2000 poopmaker2000 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I am a banger I always wear chains and spikes and I always have a knife on my belt.

I wear chains going to my walet and an easy access one on my trench coat.

I have 2 spiked braclets witch will fuck up anyone even if you don't take them off of your wrists and put it on your knuckle. I also have a spiked collar.

I have a knife on my belt just wip it out.
 #36 
Old 2002-10-28, 18:19
kefak kefak is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Get some nunchucks and learn how to use them. They can be very intimidating+you dont have to get really close to whoever you are hitting.
 #37 
Old 2002-10-28, 23:56
lamar lamar is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?


I once heard someone say " Gimme a fuckin can of bearspray and an ax handle and i'll take on the bar!"
 #38 
Old 2002-10-29, 04:27
Lord_Mixtur Lord_Mixtur is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I carry a crater maker (design from Zero's "A-files") with an improvised pull pin and throw mechanism. Its called a D.I.E. or Direct Ignition Explosive. If I must use it in self defense, I mean to kill. If there is no exigent need for weaponry, I will more than likely fall back on Aikido tactics and psychological warfare (Go ahead, hit me! Ya Chicken?!).

Preps suck...
 #39 
Old 2002-10-29, 12:34
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Oddly, in my travels I haven't been able to find a thing about three-part-staves except for random anim� and movie sites detailing the armament of some character or another.

Regardless, a three-part-staff is a set of three two foot long rods bund together with chains or ropes. Think of it as a giant set of nunchucks with an extra chuck and you'll get the idea.

Mine is rather smaller than standard, with each segment being only 15 inches long. This is so I have some remote chance of concealing the staff.

Three-part-staves are effective for two major reasons: First off, the double hinge design allows the user to get a lot of leverage behind each hit. The mechanics are rather like a set of nunchucks with an extra pivot, and the centrifugal force from swinging the staff around puts a lot of power behind each blow. Second up is the sheer versatility of the staff - You can use it to entagle the enemy, weild it like a pair of nunchucks, use it like a staff, or a linked set of escrima sticks.

Edit: IMG tags are apparently disallowed in Weapons and Combat. Go to http://www.millenianet.com/~firestarter/Z/3ps.jpg for an image of my staff.

~Zero

[This message has been edited by Zero the Inestimable (edited 10-29-2002).]
 #40 
Old 2002-10-30, 00:12
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Thanx for clearing that up,

CTR
 #41 
Old 2002-10-30, 00:21
exist exist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

i carry about a 4 inch blade. its kinda big i guess, im not from a hardcore city or anything, its just nice to have. i dont think i can ever stab someone with it thats a lil to hardcore for me but people listen to blades, nothing says "fuck off" like a blade. but its also good to know how to use the knife so they dont pull a jack move on your ass and use it on you.
me and my friends do alot of prowling instead of driving at night, i have no idea why its probably cuz the DD is tired of not drinking. so its good to have some kind of defence in your pocket.
another great one is a big poll. i found this wicked thick ass metal poll about a foot and a half or two feet long with a nice handle on it in my school basement, so i jacked it. like i said i dont think i could stab someone same with beating someone down with a metal poll, but if u cant run out of a bad sitution its good to have a tool of destrution on you
 #42 
Old 2002-10-30, 02:14
Barghest Barghest is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I agree with poopmaker2000. Wearing certain things can help you in a street fight. Spiked punk-style wristbands can hurt like hell when you block someone's punch (Monks in ancient China wore spiked belts and wristsbands for protection when they battled) and another cool thing would be a biker-style pyramid belt with a huge buckle and all that can be taken off and used as a flail.
Also thick rings like gothic armor rings or men's varsity rings can be used like brass knuckles.

I like to wear a good pair of steel-toed boots when I walk around the street. Sure they may be hard to get around in them but you get used to it in time. Not only do they hurt like hell when you kick someone but they can also protect your feet against tough terrain or stomps to the foot. I also used to carry around a pocket knife with a 2" serrated surgical steel blade but I don't want to get into any trouble with the law so I usually leave it at home unless I walk alone at night. I'm not old enough to carry a gun unfortunately.

Oh and Zero, A book I can recommend for you is one called "Ancient Chinese Weapons: A Martial Artist`s Guide" by Dr. Jwing Ming Yang. I just bought it a few weeks ago and it's got some pretty decent info on Chinese Wushu weapons including the 3-sectioned-staff(Sang Liang Gun). I hope it helps.
 #43 
Old 2002-11-01, 04:14
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

i have two one i have my favorite my butterfly knife its got its own history its phat..and my friends old rottwieler chain i wear it as a necklace alot..fucking everyone i know wants to buy it off me it looks bad ass and its great in a fight like at school or somewhere were weapons arent aloud PERFECT ever been smashed in the face with a chain? trust me you probably wont remeber bcus you'll be knocked the fuck out.
 #44 
Old 2002-11-01, 04:22
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

but still its not good to become relient on weapons bcus you'll end getting your ass kikt alot. but guns are usually best. if your having to go see someone you know or going thru some place your not liked alot or somethun its best to have something that can fire from a distance. i always wanted one of those winchesters or s-o shotguns i know id be scared shitless if someone pulled one of those on my ass
 #45 
Old 2002-11-01, 13:59
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Show a weapon and hope the punk will leave you alone?
What kind of thinking is that?

If you did that to me, I would run alright.
Just to tell the law that you were carrying a lethal weapon and ruin your life from there.

If you are going to use a weapon, use it to even the playing field, use it well and DO NOT let them see it until it's too late.

Here's where it gets technial.

After the conflict is over with and you are left standing, do you call for the medics and wait there with the punk, call EMS and leave, or just leave the prep to die?
 #46 
Old 2002-11-01, 15:29
Dast0ner Dast0ner is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

I carry around a 150.00 Italian Stiletto 17 1/2 knife blade is 8 inch closed is 9 inch.. very good self defense item.
 #47 
Old 2002-11-01, 20:59
Barghest Barghest is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Butterfly knives(or 'balisongs' as they are correctly known) are my favorites. Though you may need some practice to be able to use them. I'm pretty skilled using mine and up till now I've never been cut using it but I did however hurt myself by whacking my hand with one of handles as a test.

The mayor advantages of these is that they're very intimidating and because of their double handled mechanism you can hurt someone pretty bad without even drawing the blade. They're also legally acceptable over switchblades in many states and since they're folders you can easily conceal one in your pocket, hidden from the opponent`s view.

I suggest if you are training with one place a line of masking tape on the cutting edge so you won't accidently cut yourself up. I also suggest you get yourself a copy of Jeff Imada`s "The Balisong Manual". So far it's the best book I've found on butterfly knives.

[This message has been edited by Barghest (edited 11-01-2002).]
 #48 
Old 2002-11-01, 21:21
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Honestly, the only thing I carry around now days that could be considered a "weapon" is a tool knife that is half serrated. I've found that if a weapon is needed, it's because your opponent brought one to the fight, and you might as well just take theirs from them rather than trying to fight a weapon with a weapon...and if they have a gun, and you don't...it doesn't matter, you're getting shot...even if you have a gun, you're probably getting shot...

Bullets HURT by the way...
 #49 
Old 2002-11-01, 22:02
Barghest Barghest is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

Speaking of street weapons, I've been looking for a weapon that's a cross between pocket knife and a knuckleduster. In other words, brass knuckles with a blade that folds out. I found a set of those on eBay just recently but the guy was unreliable and I don't wanna get into any bidding wars so I wanted to know if there is a good place on the internet where I can buy a weapon like that for a low price.

 #50 
Old 2002-11-01, 23:41
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What weapon do you carry around?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barghest:
[B]Butterfly knives(or 'balisongs' as they are correctly known) are my favorites.

yea there kool. hmm arent they illegal though? ..or unless they are taped? ..you could also with the dusters your talking about just buy some brass or steel knuckles..and with a torch or saw saw down into it a lil. then get some type of blades id say about 4 and make sure they fit and weld them into it.. viola' knuckle dusters
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics