About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-09, 22:55
Danteaus Danteaus is offline
Regular
 
Default Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

What's everyone's favorite fighting styles?

State your favorite, and reasons.

My favorite is Taekwondo, for the only reason that it combines long reaching kicks, and good hand techniques. Hand techniques in taekwondo are a mixture of open-hand and closed-hand techniques, with many spinning hand techniques. The defensive hand techniques are a mixture of sweeping and strong style, and can be used to block, or to sweep away attacks. An interesting aside, is that in taekwondo, some techniques have 'assisting <technique>(usually knife-hand)' with the principal strike. I am unaware whether this is a common practice in other styles.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-10, 04:28
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

judo and krav maga
 #3 
Old 2002-10-10, 04:35
Danteaus Danteaus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

tell me more about Krav Maga, it sounds interesting. btw, give reasons for your fave fighting styles.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-10, 06:07
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

I happen to like the one I'm formally trained in. Imagine that.

They call it American Karate. I have no idea where its roots are, and I don't particularly care. I like it because it is a very practical style. Most techniques begin from a quarter-stance, minimizing your profile while not limiting your attack options. The hands are always kept in a defensive blocking position, unlike arts such as taekwando where the arms are often dropped to the sides during a kick. Punches usually incorporate body twist to gain power, and knife-hand techniques are discarded when a fist is more effective. Kicks begin with the leg raised and knee pulled in, allowing the entire leg to provide force rather than a football-style kick that relies on the hips and hamstrings. While it is primarily a striking art, there are various open-handed defensive techniques that utilize blocks, throws, and pressure points.

I like the practical training style, as well. Stretching is always first, but the rest varies. Sometimes pads and bags will be used to work on strength, other times endurance and technique are the focus. I have fond memories of the "1000-kick drill", wherein one performs a full thousand kicks in the space of 45 minutes. It seems to be a very thorough training problem as well, as it takes a minimum of four years to attain a black belt. Even at that point, though, you don't know everything.

This style is essentially refined street fighting. The artistic elements are always secondary to defense.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-10, 13:40
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Whichever one works at the moment, typically a mixture of many "styles" and completely spontaneous improvisations based on sound comprehension of body mechanics and fight dynamics.

The styles I'm formally trained in are Wing Chun, Hsing-I-Chuan, Pa-Kua, Mizhong, Tai-Chi-Chuan-Fa, Bok-Pai Shao-lin, Akido, Jiujutsu, Okinawan Kara-te, and Combat Jeet Kun Do. I have informal training in Ninjutsu but mostly in the non-combat elements of the art, along with a few of the numerous weapons.

Which of these is my favorite?...Which ever one my body wants to use at the time, because it will be the most effective and efficient motion, requiring the least thought and delay.

I do have a tendency to use more of the Wing-Chun and the Aikido, simply because I find more situations where they are what is most efficient. And the JKD seems to be on all the time, so It's a part of everything.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-10, 21:20
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

The style that lets me win. Usually the Not Fair style.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-10, 22:35
Danteaus Danteaus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

ThetaReactor said: "The hands are always kept in a defensive blocking position, unlike arts such as taekwando where the arms are often dropped to the sides during a kick. Punches usually incorporate body twist to gain power, and knife-hand techniques are discarded when a fist is more effective."

Taekwondo frowns upon the dropping of hands by the side, and so does it also incorporate body twists, these are simply physics and it is incorporated into most, if not all martial arts. Knife hand techniques are very useful to strike areas which are facing 90 degrees from the way you are facing, ie if you are facing your opponent head on, it can be used to strike the side of his neck, while a punch could not, unless you wished to pivot to his side first.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-11, 05:51
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Jeet Kune Do

Simplicity, speed, and awareness training
I'm quite confident about my ability to defend myself after I had been practicing a couple months.
 #9 
Old 2002-10-11, 16:23
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Sorry to say that but TKD is not going to do much, it will actually help you in no way. But I wont be arguing on that, but if you want a standup art that is good, take it as long as it is full contact.

Hmm I just realised, you asked what everybody favorite heh, not effective.
Id say kyokushinkai, because its hardcore training, and only about kicks mostly and simple punches, you have other things in it, but Kyokushinkai can be done in many ways, it doesnt have to be nececerly for points only or full contact. You can chose. And it teaches you more about fighting then does shotokan or tkd.

It teaches more about fighting simply because its for full contact, not fot points.

But of course a lot of things depend from the teacher, my Shotokan teacher knows more about how to train and what effects can come up in different training types then my Kyokushinkai teacher.

http://sutemi.org/videos/ko.mpg

 #10 
Old 2002-10-11, 21:14
ShadowFist ShadowFist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

ninjitsu

it reiles on decption and tricking your opponentes.
It's somwaht tabbo, so it is difficult to find a dojo, but I have learned form the study of books, and even though its not a real theacher, it gets the job done

-ShadowFist
 #11 
Old 2002-10-12, 03:06
Thoughtmonger Thoughtmonger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

quote:
Originally posted by Phantom:
Jeet Kune Do

Simplicity, speed, and awareness training
I'm quite confident about my ability to defend myself after I had been practicing a couple months.


In my personal opinion JKD is one of the best if not THE best.

As for Ninjitsu.....
well its not quite a fighting art.......
more of a state of mind.
but I guess it depends on the student ,doesn't it.
 #12 
Old 2002-10-12, 07:09
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Exactly. JKD was formed to be the most effective set of moves with the least amount of action required. No wasted motion, everything done for maximum effectiveness. Bruce Lee might be called a dirty fighter by some, I've learned that gouging someone in the eye or a kick to the nuts can save your life on the street. Bruce Lee was also a master of the knee kick, extremely effective and keeps your opponent at a comfortable distance. I highly recommend his 'Bruce Lee's Fighting Method' book series.
 #13 
Old 2002-10-13, 01:29
A-F Army A-F Army is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

The Drunken master one. That ones crazy just watching them do that. Wow wish i could learn that.
 #14 
Old 2002-10-13, 06:27
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

I would love to learn that style. But they don't put dojos like that in a phone book.
I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty good to be effective in a fight though.
 #15 
Old 2002-10-13, 20:20
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Your kidding about the Drunken Boxing right?, when you say its effective? Or maybe you ment JKD

Just to tell you that JKD is more phylosophy, but it depends from the student as you said, I guess.

If you want simplicity as a dude said here, take Kick Boxing, na flashy moves like in TKD. And all simple basics.
 #16 
Old 2002-10-14, 01:54
draggo draggo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

TaeKwonDo all the way. Ive practiced it for about 6 years and when u train as hard as i do you dont really need to worry about protecting yourself.
 #17 
Old 2002-10-14, 01:57
draggo draggo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

wait ive changed my mind... y bring a fist to a fight when u can bring a bat, big stick, or better yet a shit load of freinds
 #18 
Old 2002-10-14, 04:08
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

quote:
Originally posted by draggo:
wait ive changed my mind... y bring a fist to a fight when u can bring a bat, big stick, or better yet a shit load of freinds



sometimes that is not availiable nor some fight you can prepare for with such backup.


[This message has been edited by gombowlzombie (edited 10-14-2002).]
 #19 
Old 2002-10-14, 04:10
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Some one tell me more about true drunken fist please? I would like to learn more about it and know where to find a teacher.
 #20 
Old 2002-10-14, 04:45
Vor Redfellow Vor Redfellow is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Russian Commando, It uses the deadliest Parts of more than 15 unarmed fighting forms.
 #21 
Old 2002-10-14, 17:38
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

draggo, you ever fought a kick boxer?
 #22 
Old 2002-10-15, 05:24
Philosifire Philosifire is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

I dont post but i can't help it this time...

you people need to watch some UFC\mixed martial arts...shitty traditional "martial arts" will get your ass kicked...
 #23 
Old 2002-10-15, 20:54
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Wow UFC? What is that? Oh yes I still remember buyng UFC 1 and 2 when it came out.

Just to tell you that JJ, Judo, is traditional, so is Kyokushin.


Ill just tell you what Kyokushin is incase you ever get into K-1, youll soon find out what it is, Kyokushin, Kick Boxing and Muay Thai all the 3 art that were proven effective in standup MAs, like in K-1 tourneys, were all standup arts are welcome, arts like Savate, TKD, JKD, Kung Fu, Shotokan karate, were shown to be innefective, but it may be because of the lack of full contact and to much point tourneys.

For now remember kyokushin, kick boxing, muay thai.
 #24 
Old 2002-10-15, 20:58
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

I didnt post about MMA either, but since you couldnt take it anymore I had to add.

But I still dont get your point cause Ive been telling these people the right thing.

Your reply is useles, you couldt take what? A few people here said they do Judo, JJ.

And I had a few technical discussion woth some old dudes from the board and a few of them did Muay Thai.
 #25 
Old 2002-10-15, 21:05
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Favorite 'un-armed' fighting style?

Plus some people here repsonded with an answer stronger then your by sayng theyll just kick in the nuts and thats their art, and your here posting about how usefull MMA is, dude read the thread, I know you feel like you know it all cause a lot of epople are oriented on one art, nexrt time read the thread.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics