About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-07, 20:14
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Shopping for new knife

I'm going to buy a new knife pretty soon. My schrade folder is getting a little old and the tip is chipped.

I've narrowed it down to one of these.
http://www.crkt.com/m16alumn.html
Probably the M16-12 with partially serrated edge.

or
http://www.crawfordknives.com/html/CRKT.html


Any other suggestions? Keep in mind that I use my knife 2 or 3 times a day, so a pretty delicate custom wouldn't be a good idea. I like partially serrated blades and need a folder with a pocket clip. I'd prefer to have a liner lock, but am open to suggestion.

My price range is up to around $80.

 #2 
Old 2002-10-07, 21:46
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

The Point Guard looks nice.

What kind of Schrade did you formerly own? I just picked up a Switch-It, and I rather like it...

~Zero
 #3 
Old 2002-10-07, 21:49
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

It's a cliffhanger, bought it at walmart a few years ago for about $15. It's still a decent knife, but I need a better one. This one will probably find a new home in my glove box.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-07, 22:00
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

The Columbia River said, "The CRKT Point Guard won the 'Best Imported Knife of the Year", but then they showed a domestic shop, so I don't know. I would buy American made.

I like Kershaw myself. Never been disappointed.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-07, 22:10
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

I like Kershaw too. The local Snap-On dealer(really expensive tool store on wheels) has a display on his truck with about 30 or so Kershaws.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-07, 22:25
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

the m16's are exelent looking knives aside from the thumb screw. its too damn close to the body of the knife for my taste. there are a ton af great knives out there with that same issue. personally i cant open and close them fast enough when the screw is that close, i like it to be about a half an inch or so onto the blade.

[edit: grammer mistakes]

[This message has been edited by syphon detonator (edited 10-08-2002).]
 #7 
Old 2002-10-07, 22:33
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

I had a Gerber a few years ago that had a hole in the top of the blade that was smaller than the spyderco type. That worked really good for me.

Thumbstuds(or screws) seem to do fairly well when they're placed close in like that if the blade is really smooth opening. If the blade is a little bit stiff, then they cause problems.

The m16 description mentions the "Carson flipper". If that's what I'm thinking it is, then you don't really have to use the thumbstud very often.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-08, 06:56
sph3ric pyramid sph3ric pyramid is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

I have a few suggestions, actually. And why do you like the liner lock? It's probably the weakest of the locks out there, and the hardest to get right for knife in the CRKT price range.

Cold Steel Voyager: Lockback, AUS-8 steel, Zytel scales. Decent.

Camillus EDC in 154CM: Framelock, great 154CM steel, stainless handles. Looks cool, too. IMO best knife for the money. Don't know if it comes with serrations, though.

Anything from Outdoor Edge: All of the knives are great, and are in the same price range as the CRKTs. The Impulse is awesome.

Kershaw Speed-assist knives are pretty good.

Spyderco: Endura or Delica with FRN scales and VG-10 steel. Lockbacks. Incredible knives.

You could save up a bit more and get a Griptilian from Benchmade, which is on a whole different level from the knives above. It has the AXIS locking mechanism, too.

Oh, and one more. The FL1 or FL2 from S&W. It's another framelocker, *but* it's a 3.75" blade, with the same designer as the EDC and the Paragee.

Of course, the M16's a sweet knife, too. But for me, it just seemed like one of those stepping stones onto getting a better knife.


peace out.
sph3ric pyramid.


 #9 
Old 2002-10-08, 06:59
sph3ric pyramid sph3ric pyramid is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

Oh yeah, if you need a tough knife, get the Outdoor Edge Magna. Big and tough as hell, I doubt it'll break short of repeatedly jumping on the blade.

As for locking mechanisms...I think the framelocks and the AXIS are the top two out there, in that order.


peace out.
sph3ric pyramid.

[This message has been edited by sph3ric pyramid (edited 10-08-2002).]
 #10 
Old 2002-10-09, 04:53
A_M_P A_M_P is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

Funny, I was thinking about replacing my old Schrade Cliffhanger too (the blade wobbles back and forth at least a centimeter if I set it on a flat surface and wiggle - ugh)

I'm pretty much settled on a SOG Flash. It's cheaper than the m16-12 you linked to if you're willing to settle for Zytel handels, or more expensive if you go for machined aluminum, has a spring assisted blade (not a real switchblade mind you).

For an extra 5 bucks you can get it TiNi coated, but I wonder how long that would last on a daily carry knife.

The thing I really like about it is the height of the clip, put it in your shirt pocket and because they can't see the handle it just looks like a pen.

Then again I read a post on bladeforums complaining about the Flash's lock, so who knows? I'm also thinking of getting a SOG Access Card or a Spyderco Spidercard too, it'd be nice to have a blade in my wallet.

Good luck on the search, it's hard to choose a solid knife without feeling it in your hand
 #11 
Old 2002-10-23, 15:33
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

I ended up getting the crkt m16 for $45 at a gun store I went to last weekend in Albuquerque. The thumbscrew location isn't an issue since it's checkered quite aggresively and you can just rub your thumb accross it and get it open. The flipper is nice too. It's a very smooth opening knife and I am quite pleased with it.

PS. My computer took a shit on me so I'm using the library at my college. That's why I've been gone for so long.
 #12 
Old 2002-11-01, 14:03
Regular
 
Default Re: Shopping for new knife

Check out the bladeforums.com

Might be able to trade it in for something else there.

Plenty of customs can be found there too.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics