About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-05, 20:03
TOWCHBob TOWCHBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Chainmail slapper

I've been making a chainmail glove for the past week and stumbled upon a very painful weapon. A 1 1/2" by 11" strip of chainmail. I used european 6 in 1 for this strip. This hurts like a bitch. I slapped my hand with it while I was bored and it hurt like a bitch. I only swung it at like 20 mph but it stung for about five minutes. Swung at full force I bet it could turn someones cheek purple for 2 days.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-05, 20:52
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chainmail slapper

I'll bet if you were to slip that into a leather sleeve, sure would cut down on the DNA evidence.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-06, 01:16
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chainmail slapper

If you're making chainmail, then you have WAY too much time on your hands. When I was a diesel mechanic, the night dispactcher made a chain mail vest because his job was just answering phones and a little bit of paperwork. He would work on it for about 3 hours a night and it still took him about 4 months. It's a good way to kill time, but not many people have the patience.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-06, 04:50
TOWCHBob TOWCHBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chainmail slapper

It's a small project so it isn't taking up too much time.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-06, 06:53
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chainmail slapper

what I want to know is how a good armor like loratia segmentatum gave way to chain mail, an armor that cant parry a thrust and only turns slicing and chopping into a blunt force injury; but beyond this is so damn hard to make.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-06, 12:05
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: Chainmail slapper

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Smithee:
what I want to know is how a good armor like loratia segmentatum gave way to chain mail, an armor that cant parry a thrust and only turns slicing and chopping into a blunt force injury; but beyond this is so damn hard to make.


Chainmail's main advantage is that it can be produced in general sizes and will still fit like it's "supposed" to...thus making it unnecessary for the smith/armorer to measure and fit the wearer. That made it ideal for military use for foot soldiers and unimportant horsemen who would be replaced quite frequently...and their replacement could wear the old armor...in the end, cost saving
 #7 
Old 2002-10-07, 00:30
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chainmail slapper

but its so much harder to make than the modular segmentatum.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-07, 00:35
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chainmail slapper

I've always liked chainmail, but it is an absolute bitch to make when you haven't had a lot of experience with that sort of thing. Also, it requires frequent and tricky repairs and mending after battle.

~Zero
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics