About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-03, 21:06
Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy? is offline
Regular
 
Default Learning about firearms.

I know nothing practical about firearms (I can recoginize a few).

So...what book or online refernce would you recommend to start learning?

I would like to get an all-around knowledge. Basic mechanics, terminology, effectiveness of different types and tactics for example.

Thanks.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-03, 21:11
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

Here's a few to get you started. There's no substitute for getting some trigger time though.
http://home.earthlink.net/~spwenger/
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/index.php?action=faq
http://www.ultrapasswords.com/snfeeds.html


Ok that last one doesn't have shit to do with guns, but free porn always helps.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-03, 21:59
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

You couldn't find a site with porn chicks shooting guns? I know I've seen video of big hooters in bikinis shooting full auto, VERY impressive.

But like RL says, nothing like 'hands on' learning to show you what's what.

I suggest a library, if there are still any books on guns left in one of them, and a stop by your local gun range some weekend. Ask a few questions (not too many, guys having a bad day at the range aren't talkative), look over some guns (don't touch without asking), maybe get the chance to shoot a few if you're lucky. And get a gun, it doesn't have to be a big one, a .22 is a good gun for most people. You can shoot it at the range, you can use it hunting on almost everything except deer and bigger game, they don't cost a fortune to buy or to shoot, and shooting was America's pastime before baseball fucked everything up.

Go shooting, its more fun than you think.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-03, 23:02
Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

I've had some experience behind the trigger.

My first time out (10 years ago) I went to a range and told the guy I was new to guns and to pick some apporate for me.

He gave me a Desert Eagle. No joke. Nice gun.


The second time out, I went with a friend to a gun range out it Arizona. He brought about 10 guns. From a 12 gauge shotgun with its blocking pin removed (it held 8 rounds) to (of all weapons) a Desert Eagle.

I guess it's karma. Me and the Eagle were meant to be togeather.

What is a good book to pick up?
 #5 
Old 2002-10-04, 00:22
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

Get an extended clip for the Eagle. What is it standard, 7 rounds? Something like that?
 #6 
Old 2002-10-04, 01:41
Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

Its been a while but I thought it held 8 in the clip and one in the barrel.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-04, 14:02
che4rev che4rev is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

you are both right. the .357 holds 8 but the .41, .44, and .50 hold 7
 #8 
Old 2002-10-05, 16:51
Bullet in the head Bullet in the head is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

I think 20th Century Millitary Small Arms is probably one of the best books. it doesnt cover shotguns (im hardcore rifle shooter though so i dispise shotguns) but it covers basically everything (handgun, bolt action rifles, auto rifles, machine guns, anti tank/material rifles, smgs, different types of actions, and ammo.) its like my bible
 #9 
Old 2002-10-07, 18:34
Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Any reccomendation for a good book or online resource for firearms tactics?
 #10 
Old 2002-10-07, 20:18
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

I can't remember the exact name, but it's something like Combat Handgun reference(or handbook) it covers the basics pretty good.

There's a catalog called delta force(available online) which has alot of good books and videos. Look for the ones by Massad Ayoob and gunsite.
 #11 
Old 2002-10-07, 21:45
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

The first thing should be a safety course; so you don't accidently kill someone. Most states offer a free course through their conservation dept.

The Shooters Bible is a good reference.
 #12 
Old 2002-10-13, 23:41
PuppetHunter PuppetHunter is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

i would highly recomend "handgun combatives" by dave spaulding, i think it covers things from the ground up for those who are new to guns.
 #13 
Old 2002-10-14, 04:12
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

The nra gives lessons if you desire to learn.
 #14 
Old 2002-10-14, 05:51
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Learning about firearms.

quote:
And get a gun, it doesn't have to be a big one, a .22 is a good gun for most people.


I really recommend starting out with a 9MM if you go the semiautomatic route or a .357MAG (considering you can also shoot the tamer .38special through the same gun) if you go with a revolver.

quote:
The first thing should be a safety course; so you don't accidently kill someone.


Great idea! Learning about how the firearm works is a good read too. Understanding the concept of the blowback pistol (in a semiautomatic) gives you a lot of understanding.

99.9% of the time accidents don't happen. Someone pulls the trigger and claims "oh man the gun fell and hit the floor".

If you ever goto a range and shoot the biggest safety tip that I can reccomend is to keep the firearm pointed downrange (other's will notice this and respect you for being considerate and safe). You can practice drawing from your side (out of a holster) later on.

Do some searches on the internet for "shooting tips", "marksmenship", "how a gun works", etc. You'll find some good stuff.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics