About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-01, 03:39
GHETTO_SMURF GHETTO_SMURF is offline
Regular
 
Default So i'm thinking...

of learning some martial arts...

I have a friend of mine that can get me the useful "supplies," and another friend of mine that is willing to teach me.. kinda one - on - one... his father is a head-dude at a local training shop.

my only reason, is because of my size. i'm a small guy, and i'm not very intimidating, so i'm just looking for a way to defend myself...

shit, i've already been robbed at knife point (it might not be THAT bad to some guys... but F.uck it was scary), and once on the way to work, and i'de rather not have it happen again.

i'de like to lean toward the knife tactics, throwing knives, stars, swords, etc... but i'm not too keen on what it's called.
i've heard tonnes of different names on here before, but i don't got a clue of what they mean... an help?
 #2 
Old 2002-10-01, 08:53
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

Tonfa, aka. Nightstick.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-01, 14:54
wideb0y wideb0y is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

There are 3 main swords:

Katana - The big one
Wakishi(sp?) - The medium one
Tanto - The small one

The Gi is the thing you ware
The Dojo is the buiding you practice in
The Sensai is the teacher

Hope that helps
 #4 
Old 2002-10-01, 18:32
Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

I have to agree with Dark_Magneto.
Tonfa is the way to go. In trained hands they can kill in a second.

Be careful though, in many states it's illegal to carry them (like baseball bats). Espcially if you have no good reason to have them (like going to a martial arts class).

 #5 
Old 2002-10-01, 19:25
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

Personally, I dig staffs and simple bladed weapons - Swords, knives, and so on.

Real training with a real person is certainly the best way to do it, though. Good luck.

~Zero
 #6 
Old 2002-10-02, 06:05
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

Tonfas are extremely useful. I don't really think they're the best choice for a lethal weapon, but they work quite well for disarming an opponent and laying down some hurt.

I've always favored the staff, personally. I can't see myself carrying around a large weapon all the time, and I think it's easier to find a big stick laying around than a sword...
 #7 
Old 2002-10-02, 13:23
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

quote:
Originally posted by ThetaReactor:
I've always favored the staff, personally. I can't see myself carrying around a large weapon all the time, and I think it's easier to find a big stick laying around than a sword...


On that note, Kali/Escrima is very good for the same reasons...
 #8 
Old 2002-10-02, 20:53
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

quote:
Originally posted by GHETTO_SMURF:
i'm a small guy, and i'm not very intimidating,


I feel ya! Get a gun, the equalizer. Next time some punk starts shit with you, blast that fool!
 #9 
Old 2002-10-02, 21:06
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

Dude just ask your teacher for a real nunchukus, not the good looking ones or whatever, my karate teacher showed my some shit he bought from the US when he was in for competitions.

A nunchukus is easy to hide and keep, its not one of those Nunchukus that some wannabe freekn keeps with him(just brinign back some childhood memory, I was like, "Cool a nunchuk", now Im like "Man that nunchuk was shitless"), he demonstrated to real use of a nunchuk and its a simple and dangerous weapon.


Now kids Im not sayng that my teacher can kill everybody with one freeekn punch, and he has a whole armory. Just sayng he has a nunchuk(and other)cause he was intrested in weaponery when kid, and showed the real use of it, thats it. Just incase you have something stupid to say.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-03, 03:26
GHETTO_SMURF GHETTO_SMURF is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

No... I don't think I will be purchasing a gun anytime soon.. but good try.

So I asked my friend if his dad could teach me, and he said that his father would never do such a thing (teach a "friend"). So I now have to go a find a school. But in the yellow pages there are only Tae-Kwon-Do or "Martial Arts" classes. Not like specific techniques.

I was hoping that I could get used to using those small, black, ninjitsu (sp?) swords, and/or daggers or moderate size.

Has anyone taken these classes that can pass on some info? Has anyone been able to throw 'stars' with moderate accuracy? Or throwing spikes? I'de like to know what's possible.
 #11 
Old 2002-10-03, 20:57
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

Hmm youll have to get to know your TKD teacher maybe he knows some, if you ever went an effective stand up style, take Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, Kyokushikai Karate.


http://sutemi.org/videos/ko.mpg


Kyokushinkai karate


 #12 
Old 2002-10-04, 04:14
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

...Buy a gun...Yesss, you want a gun....Buy one...It will make you cool and girls will be attracted to yoooouuuu....
 #13 
Old 2002-10-04, 11:56
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

quote:
Originally posted by GHETTO_SMURF:
Has anyone been able to throw 'stars' with moderate accuracy? Or throwing spikes? I'de like to know what's possible.


Yes, I've been able to consistently throw shuriken with accuracy. The thing is you have to have real shuriken, not those crappy knock-offs they sell at malls and head shops. Real Shuriken will have a decent heft for their size and will actually have bladed tips rather than just being punch pressed from sheet metal. Throwing spikes/blades as well as 3,4,5,6, and 8 point shuriken are all accurate, but you have to learn how to throw them. No, you will not likely kill someone with a shuriken, that's Hollywood malarkey. Shuriken do hurt like hell though and are excellent deterrent attacks, as well as distractions if you are being pursued. You CAN kill someone with one, if you hit them in the jugular or something by chance, but it's highly unlikely.

Throwing axes, however....those are fun, and can easily kill...
 #14 
Old 2002-10-04, 17:26
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

Throwing axes are insane. Your best bet against those is to dodge or get good at catching them.
 #15 
Old 2002-10-04, 19:05
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: So i'm thinking...

I like to cut my own stars from sheet metal.

The thing I hate about the storebought ones is when you get a set each one in it is always different. You wind up with two or three 4 point ones that are genuinely useful and twelve ones with 47 points that can't fly straight or stick into a target for beans.

Is it too much to ask for a consistient set of throwing stars?

~Zero
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics