About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-20, 14:05
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default The paper is posted

For you that want to read it:
http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/irresponsible_activities/166561.html

If you spot something wrong in there, please let me know.
 #2 
Old 2002-09-20, 17:40
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: The paper is posted

Nice.

Since you're trying to encourage thought, how about this-

Have you ever researched Tesla turbines? It's a super-efficient design, runs off of steam, gas, pressurized air, whatever. Some builders have claimed 95% efficiency, and they are much more durable than traditional turbines.
http://my.execpc.com/~teba/
 #3 
Old 2002-09-20, 21:44
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

Actually, in the library, I have a book that has the blueprints for a small Tesla turbine, way cool. But a steam engine has a lot looser tolerances, and can be operated and fixed by most anyone, that's why I went with those.

Tesla was definately way ahead of his time, and I loved the fact that he pissed Edison off so much, he must have been hurting for cash to go to work for Edison in the first place, and when Edison tried to take credit for some of his inventions (like he did with everybody that worked for him) Tesla told him to pack it up his ass.
 #4 
Old 2002-09-20, 23:12
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

Thanks for the info once again!

I read that deactivated ICBM silos are up for sale.
 #5 
Old 2002-09-21, 02:03
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

You know Mr. Boo, I have seen some very swanky hide-outs made out of those. Pisses me off there aren't any in Michigan. There was one a guy bought that was half flooded, he turned it into a hotel for scuba divers, you stayed in the dry part and you could dive the flooded area, it was too cool to be believed.

I've heard those are cheap, mostly because most of it is underground, and your taxes will never go up because you would never improve the "land." If you can get one of those, you would be "the man."
 #6 
Old 2002-09-22, 01:57
NGNeer NGNeer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

True. Missile silos would make pretty good refuges. With one small problem.

Some silos were intentionally designed to cave in if the nuclear warhead(s) went off prematurely, hence burying the radiation underground. But what if a minor explosion, like a drunken pilot in a Cessna light plane smuggling explosives crashes into the silo doors, that might destabilize the structure, burying you alive. Granted, the shielding on those doors is so great that the whole plane would have to be packed with Astrolite. But as an Engineer, I don't really trust the stability of anything INTENTIONALLY designed to break down.
 #7 
Old 2002-09-22, 02:46
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

I was thinking of buying this one. They won't take an out of state check though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1761906773




[This message has been edited by rlpinca (edited 09-22-2002).]
 #8 
Old 2002-09-22, 02:59
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

Great read! Thanks!
 #9 
Old 2002-09-22, 21:01
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

quote:
I was thinking of buying this one.


$25,000,000.00 gets you all the bonus packages too!
 #10 
Old 2002-09-22, 22:44
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

quote:
Originally posted by I Love Poop:
$25,000,000.00 gets you all the bonus packages too!


The missile that formerly occupied the silo should come with it for that much.
 #11 
Old 2002-09-28, 18:31
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

How would you know that it was no longer a target in enemy computers?
 #12 
Old 2002-09-28, 19:10
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: The paper is posted

^^^^^^^
I'd rather be sitting at Ground Zero than in a major metropolitan suburb like I am now...
 #13 
Old 2002-09-28, 20:53
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The paper is posted

quote:
Originally posted by user X:
How would you know that it was no longer a target in enemy computers?


That's another reason for the missile
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics