About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-16, 09:41
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default My dream sword

A titanium fully serrated katana. diamond and teflon coated. With matching wakazashi.
 #2 
Old 2002-08-16, 12:41
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Serrated? That wouldn't work very well.

You know, there's a historical reason for swords not being serrated...

~Zero the Inestimable
 #3 
Old 2002-08-16, 14:53
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: My dream sword

quote:
Originally posted by Zero the Inestimable:
Serrated? That wouldn't work very well.

You know, there's a historical reason for swords not being serrated...

~Zero the Inestimable




Searrations cause a "tearing cut" which the body responds to with a better healing response than a "clean cut". While there is more scarring inherent to a searrated cut, the arteries and capillaries will contract more in a tearing cut and nerves and other tissues will tear where they want to more than in a clean cut. You are far more likely to bleed to death from a very sharp straight blade than you are from a searrated cut. Not to mention the increased odds of getting a searrated blade lodged or stuck in bones. It's also harder to keep a searrated blade sharp compared to a straight blade. There's more reasons, but I don't feel like listing them all right now.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-16, 15:03
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Although there isn't much use for it (unless you need a really big steak knife), you have to admit, it would be fun to have a serrated katana Just for the 'watch your opponent crap his pants' factor.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-16, 15:47
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Bah I just want n European Long Sword, that would be freekn great, Im in love with these.

But theres no school around here to teach techniques.

I had a fewe webpages with demos on swords, but lost them all, cant find them again, duh.


Man I knew a few things about swords their parts, blade types, material, but never heard of "serrated". I dont know what it means in english anyways.


BTW, you know what is funny, I cant understand that tho can anybody approve that? Here it goes, apparently in the old days, the stairs were made in a way to be a disadvanbtage for thoes who go up stairs, wich means the ennemy of course, this is why fighter trained to use their sword with the left hand, so the stairs wont be a problem. Anybody know anything about that, true or false?
 #6 
Old 2002-08-16, 18:38
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

My dream sword is a folded katana plain and simple... or a lightsaber of course
 #7 
Old 2002-08-16, 20:35
F.B.I. Agent F.B.I. Agent is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

My dream sword would be a smart sword that could make coffee and walk the dog.
 #8 
Old 2002-08-16, 22:20
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

whats the difference between a katana and a wakazashi? i dont know alot about easter swordsmanship and they apear the same to me.

mack just go fence, you will learn alot of usefull techniques that can be applied to any sword.
 #9 
Old 2002-08-16, 22:28
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

quote:
Originally posted by syphon detonator:
whats the difference between a katana and a wakazashi? i dont know alot about easter swordsmanship and they apear the same to me.

mack just go fence, you will learn alot of usefull techniques that can be applied to any sword.



Katana is longer, much longer, then the wakazashi. Samuri carried two types of swords, the Katana for fighting, and wakazashi, which was for hari-kari, aka seppuku (Ritual suicide)

They also carried the tanto, which was a short knife in the same shape as the bigger swords. there was also a protocol for carrying, as in which was carried for battle, or court with the shogun, daimyo, or emperor and such. It's been a long time since I was in Japan
 #10 
Old 2002-08-16, 23:58
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Thanks for he advice Detonator, yes what Joe said is right, I really felt like replaying on this one but he did.

I never wanted to take fencing cause it looked kinda, well, not for two handed swords, looks more like for fighting with Rapiers, I love Rapiers to, but fencing just looks to much sport like, but you gotta start somewhere.

man this thread reminds when I first got into swords long ago, damn some rapiers were beautefull. But nothing beats a european long sword.
 #11 
Old 2002-08-17, 03:12
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: My dream sword

Fencing, while valuable in it's own right, will not do shit for your katana technique. Fencing teaches one-handed techniques with an emphasis on stabbing. Katanas are two-handed weapons designed specifically for the draw cut.

I am fucking tired of movies where people get stabbed with fucking katanas!

The tanto was traditionally an assassination weapon, btw.
 #12 
Old 2002-08-17, 04:36
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

the tanto was generaly used for harikiri I mean the wakazashi would just cut to deep you wouldn't get the kind of prolonged agony that youre looking for.
 #13 
Old 2002-08-17, 08:49
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Although there isn't much use for it (unless you need a really big steak knife), you have to admit, it would be fun to have a serrated katana Just for the 'watch your opponent crap his pants' factor.


That I do like. But with the blade coatings, dont you think that bone would not be much of a problem for this sword? And even if it may not be the best for cutting, i don't care. I like the idea of a fully serrated sword. Besides, if I really had that sword, I probably wouldn't be cutting with it much, so I really wouldn't need to sharpen it. But if I need to decapitate a bull, that's what I'd use.
 #14 
Old 2002-08-17, 09:32
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: My dream sword

I thought the wakazashi was used by the Samurai for committing seppuku by driving it into the side and running it along, causing disembowelment.
 #15 
Old 2002-08-17, 19:54
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

In close quarters, people got stabbed by katanas all the time. An edgewise slash on samurai armor will bounce off, but a pointwise stab will go right through. That's why traditional katanas had such accute, sharp points.

A large portion of my technique involves stabbing the opponent (I use what basically amounts to a katana), as a jab is far harder to deflect than a slash.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #16 
Old 2002-08-18, 22:44
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: My dream sword

quote:
Originally posted by Zero the Inestimable:
In close quarters, people got stabbed by katanas all the time. An edgewise slash on samurai armor will bounce off, but a pointwise stab will go right through. That's why traditional katanas had such accute, sharp points.

A large portion of my technique involves stabbing the opponent (I use what basically amounts to a katana), as a jab is far harder to deflect than a slash.

~Zero the Inestimable



That is very true, though there are a couple of "schools of thought" founded by Musashi that involve close-quarters drawing slashes and unorthodox techniques for restraining the opponent's weapon. One of the reasons he was supposedly undefeated, and very despised by the more traditional swordsmen of his time.
 #17 
Old 2002-08-19, 03:18
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: My dream sword

A serrated katana make's no sense, as it wouldn't really be a katana any more. The katana gains much of it's character from the draw cut, which works because of the smooth curve.

If you want to learn how to use a Katana, do Kendo.

Personally I'd like a good iron longsword. But a Dorian Short-Sword of Zinc Bronze would be nice.
 #18 
Old 2002-08-19, 11:45
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Or one of those buster swords from Final Fantasy 7. I need no skill, I need merely to drop my sword on your head...

Impractical otherwise, though.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #19 
Old 2002-08-19, 11:56
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: My dream sword

Ah. I've got it. I want a claymore with monofilament edges. I no longer have to worry about technique. I just swing it in the general direction and cleave my enemies in half.

Actually a new process for forming amorphous metals has recently opened up the possibilities for monofilament blades. Of course, being the practical person that I am, I'd rather use the technologies for my 12 ga. flechettes...
 #20 
Old 2002-08-19, 15:15
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Can you say "swiss cheese"? Sure you can...

~Zero the Inestimable
 #21 
Old 2002-08-20, 04:54
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

Whats this monofilament stuff you're talking about?
 #22 
Old 2002-08-20, 05:51
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

http://www.budkww.com/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=HK8825&subject=H&catpos=99999
 #23 
Old 2002-08-20, 10:25
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

It means the edge of the blade comes down to the width of a single molecule. In other words, very sharp. Theoretically capable of cutting though steel and stone and whatnot.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #24 
Old 2002-08-20, 22:37
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: My dream sword

Is that actually possible? That would be the ultimate swordfighting sword because when they go to block your sword with theirs, you chop clean through their sword and them as well.
 #25 
Old 2002-08-20, 23:05
Phantom Phantom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My dream sword

I'll have to add that feature to this thing and skip the serration, or half serrated or whatever.

Why the link to the harikari tanto, Mr. Smithee?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics