About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-07-24, 13:56
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

I have a few 30.06's, and a while back I bought the insert to shoot .308's in a 30.06 (originally made for the M1 Garand). What I would like to know is: other than a .308 being a little faster (fps wise), does anyone have any "first person experience" on terminal impact, penetration, etc? I haven't had the opportunity to do any real testing on those two cartridges because I've been busy with other calibres. I would like to know if the chamber pressures are even a little less with a .308 and does the bullet have a terminal effect even close to a 30.06?
 #2 
Old 2002-07-24, 18:59
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

Comparing two 185 grain cartridges,

30.06 185 grain VV N160 59.2 grains 2637 fps 2857 fp

.308 185gr FMJBT VV N550 46.4gr 2536fps 2643fp

The .308 (7.62x51 NATO)
http://home.earthlink.net/~notpurfect/cart308.html

30-06 Springfield
http://home.earthlink.net/~notpurfect/cart3006.html

Now compare to The .300 Winchester Magnum.

quote:
150gr BalTip VV N165 83.2gr 3197fps 3405fp
 #3 
Old 2002-07-24, 19:01
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

http://home.earthlink.net/~notpurfect/cart300wm.html

The .300 Winchester Magnum.
 #4 
Old 2002-07-24, 19:35
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

Thank you for the info. I could swear my .308's are 200-300 fps faster than what that site quotes, I will have to check them out with the chronograph.

I'm still very interested in chamber pressure and terminal ballistics, I will test one of my 30.06's this weekend with some standard FMJ's and some AP's I've had lying around to see what happens.
 #5 
Old 2002-07-24, 22:52
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

I'd have to say the .06 shoots a little flatter than a .308. I like the .300 Win mag over both of them though. Remington has a website that shows alot of calibers. It has bullet drop and velocity out to 500 yards I think.It's not hard to find it, I just don't feel like looking it up right now.
 #6 
Old 2002-07-25, 18:30
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

I think this is what you are refering to???

.308 (7.62x51 NATO) Max press. 62000psi

30-06 Springfield Max. press. 60000psi

I'm sure actual operating pressure would vary with actual firearm.

As far as terminal ballastics, there was a bunch of ballastic gellatin tests done with the above calibers a couple years back. I can't find the link right now, will look for it later.
 #7 
Old 2002-07-25, 22:11
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

Thank you Mr. Poop.

I had heard that P-17 Enfield's in 30.06 tended to crack at the chamber after so many thousand rounds and I didn't want to take the chance of wrecking mine. I was also told that .308's had a lower chamber pressure and were faster (lies, all lies!).

I guess I will just have to shoot .06's in it and just not take it to the range that often.
 #8 
Old 2002-07-26, 00:15
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/ballistics.htm

That's the site I was talking about.
 #9 
Old 2002-08-02, 02:18
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Any real difference .308 vs 30.06?

A .308 is .08 of an inch bigger than a 30.06 the 06 in this load stands for a year. They should be similar in penitration but the standard milatary sniper rifle is a 30.06

~~CTR~~

[This message has been edited by Genital-Warfare (edited 08-02-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics