About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-07-12, 15:41
MagKnightX MagKnightX is offline
Regular
 
Default Are DEs any good?

So, I've been wondering about Desert Eagles, and I've heard they're fairly good. Supposedly they're fairly accurate, very powerful, and recoil-compensated. But before I even think about dropping about a thousand for a DE or even 500 for a Baby Eagle, are they any good? I've also heard if you get the Mark XIX frame, you can just slap on a different barrel system and clip and change calibres. Is any of this true?
 #2 
Old 2002-07-12, 17:55
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

That's about the size of it.

Me, I'd be tempted to swap in a .22 barrel and walk around with a 50 round mag or whatever you'd be able to cram in that monster with the smaller shells...

~Zero the Inestimable
 #3 
Old 2002-07-12, 18:04
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

DE = big, heavy.

Before I went with a .50AE (i'm assuming you're talking about that particular caliber) i'd take a .45ACP anyday of the week up against it.

The DE in .44MAG would be the only desert eagle i'd ever purchase if i were in the market for one.

I've shot both calibers, moreso the .44MAG and perfer that over the .50AE

Otherwise I strongly suggest looking into...

HK (all models are good), Walther P99QA, Sig Sauer P-229, 226, 220.

You'll also wind up saving $200-500.00 and will have a better gun.
 #4 
Old 2002-07-12, 18:13
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

quote:
I've also heard if you get the Mark XIX frame, you can just slap on a different barrel system and clip and change calibres.


To some extent. For example,

Generally 9MM can fit into a .40S&W magazines and function flawlessly. (feedlips, follower, etc is pretty much the same).

.357SIG will work in .40S&W mags and vice versa.

.357SIG only requires a drop in barrel if you have the gun already chambered in the .40S&W since the case is simular in charecteristics except it's bottlenecked for the .355 bullet.

Therefore the factory extractor, ejector, etc. would function flawlessly between the two calibers.

.45's can take the .400corbon drop in barrel since the .400 is a bottlenecked .45

It really depends man. Honestly the only coverision i'd suggest is a .40S&W to .357SIG both are really impressive rounds.
 #5 
Old 2002-07-12, 18:48
MagKnightX MagKnightX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

You know, I just watched the Matrix, and I realized that the agents have DEs. I never noticed that before.
 #6 
Old 2002-07-18, 12:36
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

I've only shot a desert eagle a few times but wasn't too impressed. I think that for the price you could do much better. Kimber and Springfield are 2 of my favorites and will out shoot a Desert Eagle easily. Most people see a guy shooting a desert eagle and automatically think that he watches too much TV.
 #7 
Old 2002-07-18, 20:44
lowestcerberus lowestcerberus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

if you're in the market for a powerful gun thats recoil-compensated then look into glocks. check out a glock 21c.
 #8 
Old 2002-07-18, 21:35
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

Springfield makes some excellant 1911 style pistols.

I used to own a Springfield V-10 Ultra Compact 45. Very good gun. You can pick up the single stack verision new for about $600-700.00 however if you look around for a bit you might be able to locate the double stacker for the same price.

The double stack V10 uses the para ordanance P10 magazines and can also accept the P14's magazines (giving you a 14 rnd .45) however it'll extend a inch or two from the magwell.

I never owned a glock, fired many but would never own one. I'm not sure what models have the chamber problem (but I heard glock is replacing them) and I would automatically upgrade the flimsy recoil rod with a decent aftermarket part. Also the cheap little plastic sights have to go.

The only over downside with glocks is the magazines, you pay out of your ass for a high capacity DROP FREE magazine.

Glocks are the only company that I can think of offhand that produce a shitty NON DROP FREE magazine.
 #9 
Old 2002-07-19, 03:36
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as switching barrels on the Desert Eagle the reciever (I'm really not a armourist. The receiver that latches onto the bullet's casing as it fires. Might be the correct name.) will work for .41Mag, .44Mag, .440CorBon Mag and .50 AE. Thus you can keep the same reciever in when you switch the barrels for the four calibers mentioned above.

But if you switch to .357Mag your reciever will need to be switched. As far as smaller calibers go I'm unaware.

*Walks away, 2 cents lighter.*
 #10 
Old 2002-07-19, 20:16
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

You're probabaly right. I have little experiance with such calibers as the .41mag, .440corbon and the .50AE. And overall don't see the usefullness unless you're using your pistol for hunting purposes. A .45ACP in my opinion outperforms these calibers in any self defensive shooting situation and would be my choice following the .40S&W or .357SIG I would also never exclude the 9MM as a excellant defensive round.

I was making reference to the .357SIG and .40S&W conversion. A slight difference from the .357MAG

.22 conversions would be my choice if i wanted to blast off 500 rounds at the range and pay less than $10.00

It's not just the reciever i'm talking about, it's the extractor and ejector which comes into primary contact with the case. a .50AE case is much larger in diameter than the .41 or .44mag and if i recall the .440corbon is a bottlenecked 50case to fit a 44 bullet. Therefore i'm seeing potential feeding, case ejection reliability and functioning problems.
 #11 
Old 2002-07-19, 20:38
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Are DEs any good?

For any other Desert Eagle questions you might want to take a look at...

Desert Eagle Pistol Knowledge Database

http://www.zvis.com/dep/dep.shtml


I found it on a search engine, lol imagine that.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics