About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-06-18, 02:16
Thug_Jones Thug_Jones is offline
Regular
 
Default a decent gun?

for my birthday i recieved a High Standard 22. 9 shot cylander revolver. However i have heard of few guns bearing the high standard brand. Is this a "good" gun? It is a double action, but you can use single if you want. And so far it has beem great, im having *ALOT* of fun with this. Its barrel length is 4 1/2 in. Very cool in my opinion. I will try to post a picture.
 #2 
Old 2002-06-18, 17:07
PyroMatt PyroMatt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: a decent gun?

Cool, do you hunt?

-The Flame Viper
 #3 
Old 2002-06-18, 17:53
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: a decent gun?

Great gun to start out with. I wouldn't say it's the finest of the .22 revolvers out on the market but by far it's not a jenninings!

On a postitive note ammunition for your pistol is very inexpensive. Approximate 500+ rounds for $7-10.00 range quality rounds.

If you get into recreational shooting, gun collecting etc. I suggest you experiment with some of the bigger calibers.

9MM range rounds go for on average of 100 rounds for $10-12.00 (aka 9mm luger, 9mm parabellem,etc). There are many different 9mm varations such as the 9X17,18,23,28 with 9X19MM being the most common.

40S&W 50 for $8-11.00

45ACP 50 for $9-14.00

If you like revolvers Taurus makes a incrediable .38spl, it's all titatanium and incrediably light.

Revolvers.. 38SPL and .357MAG would be a good second pistol. All .357MAG revolvers can also shoot .38SPL through them (.38SPL is less expensive to shoot and has less revcoil/velocity).

My european arms 2" barrel .357mag/.38spl cost me $250.00

Taurus also makes a gun called The Raging Bull, 6.5" barrel, weighs 53oz and holds 5 rounds. It fires a round called the .454 CASULL and can also fire .45LC (long colt). This is a incrediably powerful round, recoil is on the extreme side... for example.

.454 Casull 300gr JFP H110 31.5 1780fps 2111fp

.454 Casull 240gr JHP H110 39.0 2090fps 2328fp

Now compare to the...

.45ACP 230gr VV N350 7.3gr 961fps 472fp

.45ACP 180gr VV N340 7.4gr 1186fps 562fp

.44MAG 267gr RNL VV N110 21.7gr 1444fps 1237fp

.38special 125gr L-SWC VV 3N37 8.2gr 1296fps 466fp

.22LR (long riffle) 34gr LHP 1500fps 170fp

.22MAGNUM 40gr 1910fps 324fp

There are many different loads, those above are just a few examples for various calibers and are on the HIGH end when it comes to velocity and energy transfer.

gr=grain fps=feet per second fp=energy transfer in pounds jhp=jacketed hollow point jsp=jacketed soft point fmj=full metal jacket
 #4 
Old 2002-06-18, 20:59
Thug_Jones Thug_Jones is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: a decent gun?

Hell yeah PyroMatt, i hunt. When i do i usually use a 22.250 (exspensive ammo tho)Yeah ammunition is cheap as hell for .22(especially here in MT, no sales tax) notonly that the people in shiptons will sell to me without id as long as i come in in my workday clothes (then i look like a rancher) as long as you dont dress like a freak they will sell it to you. I actually enjoy living up here. They sell all of the good fireworks up in Prior Creek (if you get connections you can get your hands on some illegal stuff) and in general not many people mind if you walk out into your front lawn, blast off a few rounds, then walk inside. Poop, do you have a 22 mag? Just out of question.
 #5 
Old 2002-06-18, 21:04
Thug_Jones Thug_Jones is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: a decent gun?

oh yeah, lol I am far from startin out poop. I have well over a dozen guns in my collection. My dad and i are very big gun nuts. He is the one who gave it to me. He origionally gave it to his mom 30 years ago, but she never even took the cosmoline off of it! It was still in the box. So he gave it to me for my b-day (i would rather have it than some stupid game).
 #6 
Old 2002-06-19, 03:02
Shadow Spawn Shadow Spawn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: a decent gun?

I own a HI-STANDARD Dura-Matic .22 Semi-Automatic pistol and I would honestly have to say it is much better than a Ruger Mk II and much easier to maintain and clean.

Shad
 #7 
Old 2002-06-19, 21:39
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: a decent gun?

A really long time ago I owned a marlin chambered for the .22MAG

Next month i'm looking into purchasing a Walther P99 either in 9MM or 40S&W. Plus side on the 9MM I can get magazines that hold a sixteen round capacity. Of course i'm going to get a set of meprolight night sights installed.

Factory trigger pull on it is pretty impresive.

A considerable number of officers here have switched to the P99.

I wish I could find some documentation on doing trigger jobs. Specifically for my HK USP COMPACT 40
 #8 
Old 2002-06-21, 12:40
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: a decent gun?

I've shot my dad's p99 a fair amount and it is really nice (military color, 9mm) comes with different handle inserts and like 3 sights the only regret he has with it is he didn't get a .40. Definately one of my favorite pistols. So i guess whatever caliber you like most Poop personally i would get a 9 cause i dont plan on being in a shootout and needing to shoot bullets through body armor etc.
 #9 
Old 2002-06-21, 20:16
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: a decent gun?

In addition I can get the unmarked 16 round magazines for the 9MM for about $65 a pop.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics