About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-04-24, 01:06
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default was it akido?

i know that there is a marshal art that focuses on the throwing of people but cant remember the name anyone know or am i misleading myself?
 #2 
Old 2002-04-24, 02:39
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

The mashal art deals with moving with your opponent and using the force they exhurt against them.
 #3 
Old 2002-04-24, 09:08
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: was it akido?

Thats Judo your thinking of.
 #4 
Old 2002-04-24, 12:45
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

I recall from reading a interview, Steven Seagal's studies focuses primaraly on akido with a mixture of ...
 #5 
Old 2002-04-24, 16:17
t0ne t0ne is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

"I recall from reading a interview, Steven Seagal's studies focuses primaraly on akido with a mixture of ..."

Um...acting?
 #6 
Old 2002-04-24, 17:46
Koroshiya Koroshiya is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Steven Segal is an aikido sensei, he occasionally holds seminars.
http://www.stevenseagal.com/

Most of the demonstrations of aikido you see features the instructor throwing everyone off him. So you probably are thinking of aikido.

Judo is also a throwing art. Judo and Aikido have common origins in daito ryu aikijitsu.

By the by, it is MARTIAL art not "marshal" art.
 #7 
Old 2002-04-24, 17:53
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Just some info, Steven Seagal own a Dojo in JJapan\Korea... I dont know where, but he owns a Dojo, he even gave a lot of money to a Shaolin monk.
 #8 
Old 2002-04-24, 18:30
Koroshiya Koroshiya is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Segal is generally aknowledged as the first non-asian to open an aikido dojo in japan. His credentials are real.
 #9 
Old 2002-04-24, 20:55
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Judo and Akida employ many of the same techniques, dark_magneto
 #10 
Old 2002-04-24, 22:53
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Aikido generaly employs a few more locking techniques though.
 #11 
Old 2002-04-24, 22:59
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Segal is a 7th dan I think. That's very high up there so it's not all acting, he's really a badass. Granted he does do some dumb stuff for the sake of the movie. I took aikido for about a year and am very confident that I can hold my own against most people. It's good stuff.
 #12 
Old 2002-04-24, 23:20
Koroshiya Koroshiya is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Aikido is NOT a fighting art, it is purely defensive in nature. I hear some schools of yoshinkan aikido teach atemi (strikes) but I have never encountered anyone who practiced them. Aikido is very choreographed and not cut for the street. When people say martial arts are not about kicking ass they may as well be talking about aikido. Aikido is about all the reasons people study martial arts besides fighting, physical exercise, grace, coordination, beauty, cultural heritage, spirituality etcetera. You have to train it for years to be able to pull it off on the street. It is nearly useless as a self defense or combat method.

When seagal actually fights in his movies his moves are more jujitsu, karate, and in Glimmer Man more like wing chun kung fu. In one he uses some Arnis stickfighting in a bar scene with pool cues. I think he studies a lot of other crap besides aikido. Aikido is his main art.
 #13 
Old 2002-04-24, 23:26
Koroshiya Koroshiya is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

x
 #14 
Old 2002-04-25, 10:46
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Aikido is choreographed for safety. If the atacker doesn't yield to the throw then he recieves the full force of it and gets fucked up. There's actually quite a few dojos that teach akemi. After about a month I was able to pull off some of the moves in a bar fight, wrist locks for example. In a fight the throws won't look as fluid but then again the attacker won't get back up like in the dojo.
 #15 
Old 2002-04-25, 13:24
riot_kid riot_kid is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Just for you're general education, AIKIDO, spell things right, and ATEMI. I hate bad spelling. I thought Judo came from Jujitsu. It was my impression that when a style went from being for "war" to being an "art" it dropped it's jutsu and picked up a do. I could be wrong, just want some clarification.
 #16 
Old 2002-04-25, 15:29
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

lol talking about spelling, i've seen it butchered many times...

Mashal, Marshal and Maritial Art.

But we can use context clues? So no need to fuss.
 #17 
Old 2002-04-27, 00:04
Jamopy Jamopy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Ive never met any credible martial artists or self-defense instructors who credit Aikido. Its generally accepted as being more 'art' than 'martial'.

PS, Segal isnt the hardnut he makes himself out to be. Apparently he got chocked out twice by a guy (forget name) because he refused to pull his punches on set
 #18 
Old 2002-04-27, 13:21
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Thats because he practices(or used to) Shaolin(something like that), and if he makes a badass out of himself, then hes going to lose, cause thats not what shaolin(or any other form of that kind) teaches, you have to stay spiritual and clean.
 #19 
Old 2002-04-27, 14:25
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Most people do think that aikido is a joke. That's because it doesn't involve alot of grunting, breaking boards, high kicks, yelling, and shit like some dojos have. It involves alot of fluid movements where you have to concentrate entirely on form and not muscle. Some little 80 pound lady can out perform a huge ripped guy. That's the whole point behind it, not needing to be strong.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. That's what this place is for. But if you want to see how good this shit works, ask someone that's been going to classes for a month or so to throw you. Or you could just try to rush him.
 #20 
Old 2002-04-27, 18:15
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Exactly! Nothing doing with strength...

You just gotta be quick!
 #21 
Old 2002-04-27, 20:46
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

If your talkinbg to me, then thats not my opinion at all, I believe more in fluid movement then power movement. For me a fluid move brings better stability +speed(with time), and for me speed = strengt but strengt does not equal speed. Thast my personal opinion.
 #22 
Old 2002-05-02, 18:06
Jamopy Jamopy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Maybe. But your making the assumption thats its a well trained 80lber against an untrained thug. How does it fare against attackers trained in other arts of self-defence? UFC has shown that speed, strength and endurance do play a crucial role in fighting, not just technique.
 #23 
Old 2002-05-02, 21:14
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

All other things being even the stronger person wins.
 #24 
Old 2002-05-02, 22:58
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Jamopy, I know what your talking about, I know that weight is a big advantage, I follow the UFC.

Alan Smithee, your kinda right, I saw that in the first UFCs, the skinny ones always get beaten by the bigger ones, but it depends from theyre physique, cause some dudes were big and sloppy moving heh. All the opponent waited for is to give him a long punch in the face. Or they were just rushing cause the dude only could use his hands, Bobs Sapp from Pride is 380lbs, but hes not like the guy I saw who was only able to use his freekn short fat hands.
 #25 
Old 2002-05-17, 01:57
Dr Spock Dr Spock is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

I train in Aikido as well, and I agree that if you want the classic American "Damnit I wasnt results NOW" thing, then Aikido isn't for you. However, If you really know your Aikido I've seen some people who could take on 5 ripped guys at once and waste em all.

If you plan to discuss Aikido, however, its important to discuss the different styles of it.

The two most active in the US are:

Ki Society style: focuses on energy and meditation, yes you can kick ass with it but it will take you 70 years. On the other hand, you may find yourself at enlightenment.

Aikido Schools of Ueshiba style mine) Focuses on the movement and force of attack and how to deal with it. Adresses Aikido as a fighting art. Some people really go at each other in practice and it is seriously impressive after more than 5 years or so of training. Here you can also pick up some of the meditiation and philosophy as well as weapons, however, they aren't officially taught.
 #26 
Old 2002-05-17, 05:03
Iscariot Iscariot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

I take Aikido, and I fully agree, Aikido is more art then combat. But Aikido, really if you know whats going on, you can kick major ass with it.
As for me, I still dont know whats going on. After more then 8 years too.
 #27 
Old 2002-05-17, 22:42
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: was it akido?

Would be really intresting to one day see a shaolin monk come out of his dojo and prove to the world that its true, by entering as competition like the UFC or PRIDE, and own everybody.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics