|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-03-23, 00:42
|
digitalnoah 
Regular
|
|
|
|
.22LR shotshells
Need some info. Im looking to buy some .22LR shotshells (Winchester makes them). What I want to know is whether it is safe to fire them from a semi-auto. Specifically, I have a Remington 597 with the heavy barrel. Basically, I need to know if the crimping around the top will open before the bolt slides back (its an all brass casing). Anyway, all help is appreciated.
noah
|
|
#2
 2002-03-23, 05:20
|
Shadow Spawn 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
I've fired shotshell ammunition through a 10/22 without a flaw, but you need to watch how many you use because shotshell ammo can cause damage to the barrel's rifling making standard ammuntion inaccurate.
Shad
|
|
#3
 2002-03-23, 05:27
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
Didn't work in mine, it jammed it up real good. They were too long after they were discharged. Of course they were the old fashioned ones made completly of brass that was crimped at the top, you should have no firing problems with the plastic tipped ones. Yeah and check out if they'll screw up the rifling.
|
|
#4
 2002-03-23, 21:48
|
P_Dub_Pyro 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
i have a kind of old heritage six shot .22 pistol and there is a slight gap between the cylander and the barrel...would it be safe to shoot shotshells with this?
|
|
#5
 2002-03-24, 01:49
|
Alex Jacobson 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
Yes if want to try it you should but wear gloves unless you feel that its totally safe and you want to get your hand blown off  But then again it might work and if it does then you got quite a little toy on your hands so try it anyway.
|
|
#6
 2002-03-24, 14:21
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
I wouldn't try it. Also shooting shotshells through a firearm with a ported barrel is unadviseable.
Whats the reason for these shotshells anyway?
|
|
#7
 2002-03-24, 17:09
|
digitalnoah 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
Poop: I went to my local Sports Authority to pick up some .223 ballistic tips and found out they quit carrying them. How do you stop selling 5.56NATO ammo? Looks like Im headed back upstate to buy some 300 rd packs. But anyway, I was standing at the counter bullshitting with the guy who worked there and spotted the shotshells. Couldnt resist dropping $5 to see what they pattern like. So, Duct tape, you have a 597? I think its the 2nd best .22 out there (the 10/22 will eat just about anything you try to feed through it) I knew the shotshells might pit and scratch the rifling, but you say it'll jam up nasty? I was worried about the length of the crimping. Pyro: How much of a gap is there? maybe it would be possible to make a hand shield out of a small cut up funnel. Anyway, thats just my 2C. noah
|
|
#8
 2002-03-24, 22:51
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
digitalnoah, I wasn't even aware that sports authority sold ammunition. What state do you live in? Florida here. One reason might be 5.56NATO scares a lot of the gungrabbers and the store management might have been getting some pressure from fat rossie o'donnel and her friends  I believe the make the shotshells in 9X19MM too. I'm pretty well stocked up in 5.56 .. got about 1,500 rounds left over eh. I'm very low on .45 and .357SIG though 
|
|
#9
 2002-03-25, 03:50
|
olywaanarchy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
I've seen and shot the shotshells in these calibers. .22 LR .22 Mag 9mm .38 .357 Mag .40 S&W .44 S&W .44 Mag .45 Their nicknamed "Snakeshot" or "Ratshot" and beleive me when I say they are shitless for birds (Maybe at point blank) That's what all the sellers at Big 5 push on me but all I use them for is for small varmints around the house. I've noticed that they did wear the rifling down in my Marlin 60 after about 1000-1200 shells fired. The Marlin is my cheap gun and a lovely 10/22 is my pride and joy .22 
|
|
#10
 2002-03-25, 04:04
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
In your house? How loud would you say or compare the report to? Do these cycle to the next round in a semiautomic or do you have to rack the slide?
|
|
#11
 2002-03-25, 07:40
|
digitalnoah 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
Poop: Sports authority sells a pretty limited selection of hunting and handgun loads (.270 30-06 lalala) in Westchester County, about an hour from NYC. But there are better outdoor sports stores (ie, rifles and shotguns) a little farther north. Some good ranges too for that matter.
Say, would 22shotshells penetrate drywall at say, 10 or 20 feet? would it pit brick? What is the spread from a just wondering.
BTW: Anybody that is thinking of buying a Remington 597, DON'T Save up just a wee bit longer and get a 10/22. Not to say the 597 is unusable, but on occasion it doesnt like various brands of ammunition.
Ah well, my mini-14 eats anything I throw at it and likes it. Yes. Ruger is a very good manufacturer.
noah
|
|
#12
 2002-03-25, 07:53
|
olywaanarchy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: .22LR shotshells
ILP: I meant around the property and basically the report is just like any other .22 shell, just a bit louder than a firecracker really, though that's just me cause my hearing is a bit off.
In rifled barrels the spread spins out really fast, I measured between 4"-6" spread at 50 feet with cardboard. (Measured from center, that's how I measure spreads, it probably isnt right though.) In a smoothbore barrel, yes .22's come in smoothbore, I remember a .22 Garden Gun, 5rd bolt action, anyway in a smoothbore from the center the spread at 50 feet was just 2"-4"
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|