About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-03-14, 19:39
dastoner dastoner is offline
Regular
 
Default bullet proof vest?

Does anyoneone know where I can get a bullet proof vest ? Like mabe a catalog or somthing to buy one out of ? ... Or somewhere that sells them to steal one from ?
 #2 
Old 2002-03-14, 19:47
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

Galls catalog has a good selection as does US cavalry. If you're expecting to be bullet proof wearing one though you're mistaken. You'll still get hurt but your chances of death are a lot less.
 #3 
Old 2002-03-14, 19:51
dastoner dastoner is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

do either of them have a website ?
 #4 
Old 2002-03-14, 21:52
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

www.galls.com Is the source that I recommend they have a good variety and excellent service if you have a problem with your order.

www.uscav.com I haven't ordered too much from these people but they have a cool ass catalog.
www.bulletproofme.com These people are kinda expensive, but you get what you pay for.
 #5 
Old 2002-03-15, 04:13
steelblade steelblade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

You should buy an issue of Soldier of Fortune magazine and look through the adds to find to best prices, but for shopping, look through the sites that rlpinca posted.
 #6 
Old 2002-03-15, 22:41
Shadow Spawn Shadow Spawn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

What is your main purpose for the vest? Do you want something that you can wear descretely under a jacket or wear in a CQB fighting situation?

I personally would suggest a Level III Special OPs vest from US Cavalry.

Level I low powered pistol rounds
Level II medium powered pistol rounds
Level III assault rifle rounds
 #7 
Old 2002-03-19, 11:51
Buch Dich Buch Dich is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

Is it legal to just buy a bulletproof vest? i would have thought the pigs would be onto you for why you have it?
 #8 
Old 2002-03-19, 21:46
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

Buch Dich,

Very legal to own. You can pick them up even at your local ARMY/NAVY store. There are plenty of online dealers and manufacters that welcome purchases by citizens.

You could even go nutty and get a...

Level IV - stops even a .3006 and maybe even some AP (Steal core as opposed to lead core jacketed) ammunition types.

I purchased mine from...
http://www.spbaarmor.com/

Got a Level 2A vest from them. With a button down shirt (dress shirt for example) over it, no one would even notice you wearing it. Comfortable and breathable. Doesn't make you sweat.

Legal to own however in the state of florida if you are caught commiting a forceable felony (robery being one of them) while wearing body armor they'll add another -/+ 5 years to your sentance.

Best bet is to check with your local authorities. There is no federal law against owning and wearing one out. However state and local manicupalities vary.

[This message has been edited by I Love Poop (edited 03-19-2002).]
 #9 
Old 2002-03-20, 20:16
highorder highorder is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

definetly try the surplus store/ be careful that you dont get a flack vest.
 #10 
Old 2002-03-24, 02:40
Shadow Spawn Shadow Spawn is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

This may sound a bit as a dumb question but what is the difference between a flak jacket and a bullet proof vest. They serve the same purpose do they not?

Shad
 #11 
Old 2002-03-24, 02:48
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

A flak jacket is used to reduce the impact of fragmentation off of grenades,mines,etc. It might slow down a bullet, but not enough to get optimistic about. Flak jackets are cheap heavy and retain alot of heat so they pretty much suck. All they are really good for is to provide marginal protection against relatively slow big chunks of steel. Bullet proof vests are designed to actually stop the bullet from penetrating.
 #12 
Old 2002-03-24, 14:11
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

If you also look in the inside of the jacket, sometimes there is a tag but most of the time they are stamped with their rating factor.

Mine is stamped with what calibers it will provide protection against. So you can look at shooters gun and check the inside of your vest incase you forgotten
 #13 
Old 2002-04-25, 14:01
belarion23 belarion23 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

(The backdrop))several years back when I was working for a agency which was doing Crisis Intervention I had the unfortunate oppurtunity to always have to ship this one dude off to the State Hospital. In my opinion, he was not mentally ill but a criminal. He was the only one in almost 4 years I had serious trouble with. Well, after my 4th death threat (we were not allowed to press charges-unofficial agency policy, 2 others tried it and eventually got canned), I asked one of the cops(the dude was always brought in by what looked like the entire Police Force (he stabbed one of them with a spear), if a vest would be a wise purchase. They noted a level 3 but only mentioned it would stop handgun rounds and if it did stop serious rifle rounds the shock would cause significant internal damage and likely result in death-a painful one. Question, does anyone know of the stats of someone surviving more than 1 rifle round with a level 3. I am somewhat cynical of the claim they can stop rifle rounds. I know about the Hollywood bank robbery where the perpetrators were covered from head to toe but they also died once the cops with the rifles arrived or died fleeing the scene from wounds.
 #14 
Old 2002-04-25, 15:15
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: bullet proof vest?

Threat level III isn't meant to go up against ultra transonic riffle ammunitions. Threat level IV (the big clunky suit) is suited for a high vel 30.06

Now on the other hand, Steel Core (armor piercing), forget about it. Might as well not have been wearing a vest in the first place.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics