About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-17, 16:05
gun-nut gun-nut is offline
Regular
 
Default How do you throw knife ?

I tried to throw a knife, it hit the target,
but it dont get a perpendicular strike sometime, and the range is short, does anyone know any tricks to throw a knife
further and more chance of perpendicular
hit ?
 #2 
Old 2002-01-17, 22:37
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

get good at estimating range, and holding the knife at different positions on the blade, at the balance point, wherever.

if someone is 10 feet away from you, you need to hold the knife at a different place than you do when a person is 3 feet away from you.
 #3 
Old 2002-01-17, 23:00
Paco de Niro Paco de Niro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

Also, Make sure the handle is heaver than the blade....
 #4 
Old 2002-01-18, 08:07
gun-nut gun-nut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

the handle is heavier than the blade,
but that is the problems, at longer range,
the knife would usually hit the target with
it's handle...
 #5 
Old 2002-01-18, 17:06
Paco de Niro Paco de Niro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

Ok.....Open your hand palm up and place knife in the centre of your hand. When you close it, your thumb should be just touching the top of the blade and your forfinger should be on the bottom directly under your thumb (make sure the tip of forfinger is well away from the sharp side)..now try to throw it so the knife goes in a straight line like a spear....Only in the movies will you see a knife spinning through the air and hitting the target....start at one foot away and keep practising after a while (3-4 weeks of constant practising) you should be able to throw from at least 15 feet..for targets further than 15 feet, use a gun..
hope that helps....let me know how you get on.......Oh and if you are completly unable to get the knife to go straight I am afraid that it is NOT a throwing knife...
 #6 
Old 2002-01-19, 02:48
Real Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

As a general rule knives are thrown heavy end first. Hold the knife so that the heavy end is away from you, for example. Traditional throwing knives are blade heavy and dagger like, they have an edge on both sides. Gil Hibben makes some very well balanced throwing knives, in different styles.

If you are throwing a handle heavy knife, hold it blade first, but only if it has a single edge and hold the knife so the sharp edge is away from your hand.

I thrown in a manner similar to a baseball pitch. I don't do the wind up, but I throw over hand and I throw hard, almost as hard as I can. Also hold the knife loosely, and don't just let go, the knife should slide out of your hand. At the end of the throw you do need to snap your wrist. Wrist snap is most responsible for how fast the knife rotates in flight. You vary the speed of rotation matched with your distance to throw the knife so that the blade hits first. Sound hard? IT IS!

Start at a distance where you use a light wrist snap and you can stick it every time. Throw at a big sheet of plywood or something similar, accurace isn't important at this point. Just concentrate on making it to stick. Experiment with distance at first, finding the spot you can stick it every time with a light wrist snap. Throw at this range til it's natural to do this.

Now throw from 1.5 times that distance and throw the same, the knife will hit handle first. To make the knife stick you will need to increase the rate of rotation by increasing your wrist snap. Again you have to throw and throw until you get the groove of things. After you've mastered that, practice some more on you original or key distance and again with 1.5x that distance.

Now double your key distance. Throw the same as you would in your oringinal distance, the knife will stick. See the pattern? If your key distance is 6ft, then at a 9ft use a fast wrist snap, at 12ft slow wrist snap, 15ft fast again, 18 slow again and so on.

Accuracy takes just as much, if not more practice than making the knife stick. You have to pattern yourself. I was taught by stapling a paper plate to a board and aiming for the plate. Always aim for the plate in the same manner. You will notice a patter developing if you throw consistently. I for example hit straight left every time and the further away I was, the more left of the plate I would hit. So my pattern was left of the target, after practicing much I knew about where my knife would strike if I was aiming for a certain spot. From that I would aim to the right of the target, an estimated distance of course, from what I already knew.

Anyways that's how I learned, after having probably $150 worth of throwing knives in heavy vegetation I'd say I do decent enough. I've killed 2 snakes, a starling, and a rat with knives. The starling was just a freak occurence though I usually don't try to hit anything more than 20ft away, he was about 35-40ft away. I didn't stick him either, the impact from the side of the knife was enough to do him in.

I have read about people hunting for large game using only a knife. Deer and javelina (aka peccary, a small wild pig native to the southern states) have been taken successfully in this method. However the people that did it were pretty hefty guys throwing 3-5lb knives. They could prolly through like a proffessional baseball player, as far as speed goes.
 #7 
Old 2002-01-19, 15:53
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

It seems everyone has a different technique. I've always kept all of the action out of the wrist and used the pivot of my arm. It works for me, but that's about all I can say about it.

I hold the knife by the flat edge of the blade and try to get it to land point first. That's the most important part, there: I'd suggest practicing getting the point-first landing and calculating range and then moving up to seeing how hard you can throw the knife.

I suppose I've learned to be a jack-of-all-trades, so to speak, because I have several knives that I use for throwing and they're all different sizes, weights, and designs. After a while it just becomes instinct, but it does take time and practice before you can do it with a resonable degree of success.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #8 
Old 2002-01-20, 18:05
Moderator
 
East end
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

All the shit you see on TV with the knife spinning in the air is bullshit...it never works.

hold the knife by the handle with your fingers just underneath the hilt (the straight bit between the blade and handle) and pretend you're bowling...like in cricket...then when you think it's ready...let it slide out of your hand and it should work...works for me.

as for the distance...try different techniques for different distances...like letting go sooner or later, etc.
 #9 
Old 2002-01-20, 18:29
Canadian Bacon Canadian Bacon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

Never throw a knife like a spear!

Check out this link: http://www.sonic.net/~quine/howthrow2.html
 #10 
Old 2002-01-21, 06:23
Sgt. Baker Sgt. Baker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

Practice, Practice, Practice.
I have several throwing knives, some I throw from the handle, some from the blade. Whatever ones you get you want to be sure they are weighted well. I personally like the larger heavier knives better. Do some searching on the web, there is alot of info out there on throwing knives. Axes are loads of fun to throw too. I like throwing axes better than knives. Whatever you decide to throw just be careful and make sure you have a solid target that is not a living tree.
 #11 
Old 2002-01-21, 11:51
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: How do you throw knife ?

Whats wrong w/ trees?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics