About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-11-02, 00:51
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default My knife is weirder than yours.

Everyone and his brother has a plastic or glass shank that they knocked off in wood shop or somesuch, but I'll bet you've never seen one of these before.



This is my latest creation: The world's only plexiglass folding knife, complete with a liner lock. It's held together with nylon bolts instead of metal, so it's also completely invisible to metal detectors.

It was a fun little project. All told it took me about two hours to make with a Dremel and some hand tools.

Opinions?

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #2 
Old 2001-11-02, 10:07
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I hold the opinion that youre a nerd. thats just cause of the magic cards though.
 #3 
Old 2001-11-02, 13:27
DARKOMEN18 DARKOMEN18 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

can you buy that on late night shows?
do they accept checks?
 #4 
Old 2001-11-02, 14:13
dark sky dark sky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I have just one Q,
- How well does it hold its edge?

------------------
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, USE IT.
 #5 
Old 2001-11-02, 14:21
DARKOMEN18 DARKOMEN18 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

we've got a knive comopany here
Puma you can cut basicly anything without damageing it can yours do that?
 #6 
Old 2001-11-02, 16:33
Doom Doom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I like it!! It reminds of this shank made from polycarbonate sold in the delta press catalog. they also sell an ice scraper that they claims can put 20 sitches in one's scalp. Both are invisble to metal detectors by the way.
 #7 
Old 2001-11-02, 18:27
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I used the Magic cards as a background simply for their value of being colorful, so you could tell that the knife was transparent. If I am such a nerd, why did you instantly recognize the cards? You could have saved much face by keeping your mouth shut about it.

The knife holds a good edge, and it is easily capable of cutting cardboard with a single slice, as well as nylon straps and hemp rope.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #8 
Old 2001-11-02, 20:00
pballer pballer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I like it a lot, it would seem to be a fun and challenging project. But where did u get hemp rope?
 #9 
Old 2001-11-02, 21:04
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

Who knows? I had a length of it in my garage. It looked like a nice candidate to test the knife out on. You can buy the stuff at hardware stores if you look in the right places. No, you can't smoke it, if that's what you're wondering.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #10 
Old 2001-11-03, 06:45
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

i think its fucking sweet. id love to have one. do you collect knives or just make them?

ill try to put up some shots of my cool knives if i get the time
 #11 
Old 2001-11-03, 07:09
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

Im just joking with ya, calm down.
 #12 
Old 2001-11-03, 15:05
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I both make and collect knives (as illustrated here). I've been into collecting for some time now, but I've just recently become interested in making my own.

I have more projects in the works, some of which I think you will find very interesting once I compltete them.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #13 
Old 2001-11-04, 04:54
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

wow!
that puts my collection to shame. you have a ton of sweet knives i really like the black butterfly is that teflon of just steel?
 #14 
Old 2001-11-04, 06:40
insane_blaine insane_blaine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I got a Knive and the handle is a crazy dragon and the tail is the blade, its pretty cool.
 #15 
Old 2001-11-04, 06:45
Lu Bu Lu Bu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

This is all well and good, but I don't go for looks in a knife, I go for functionality. My knife does what it's supposed to do, cut shit

------------------
Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
 #16 
Old 2001-11-04, 13:55
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

The black butterfly knife, sixth from the left, top row? It's regular stainless steel with a steel handle and rubber grip inserts.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #17 
Old 2001-11-05, 05:59
DarkWolf DarkWolf is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

Nice knife! You ever think about making one like a switchblade? I got into switchblades when I found some sites on the web dealing with them. I've bought several now. My favorite so far is the Colt M-16. It operates like a switchblade AND a regular folding knife with a hidden lever switch in the handle. If someone looked at this knife they wouldn't be able to tell it was a swithblade. It would be fun to make a switchblade and a good challenge to see how good you are.

------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination.
 #18 
Old 2001-11-05, 09:14
necromancer wid a blowgun necromancer wid a blowgun is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

hey zero can 'I buy that offa you?
 #19 
Old 2001-11-05, 21:39
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

Necromancer wants the knife, does he?

Make me an offer.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #20 
Old 2001-11-06, 15:31
novice merc novice merc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

yes, or rather novice merc using necromancer's nick and pass.
The offer's $5, but I'm willing to negotiate.
 #21 
Old 2001-11-07, 02:29
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

Don't make me laugh. It's worth ten times that much to me just sitting in my collection. For five dollars plus shipping you could go make your own, you know.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #22 
Old 2001-11-07, 06:21
novice merc novice merc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

what about 14? It's quite difficult to find materials here. can't you make a second one?

------------------
even the reverse side has its reverse side
 #23 
Old 2001-11-07, 12:58
maknfckaos maknfckaos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

could you email me out the basic design for a knife like that? I have worked with that stuff before and its pretty strong
 #24 
Old 2001-11-07, 18:33
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I think this is simple enough for you to figure out on your own. It's just a blade and two handles, with one edge of one of the handles bent to catch the blade and lock it in place.

I am interested in testing your ingenuity. Let me know how your version of the knife turns out.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #25 
Old 2001-11-08, 14:18
maknfckaos maknfckaos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

yeah ill take apart one of my old knives to get some ideas, the stuffs not hard to get so i can afford to test and correct a few times, how big is yours, and what thickness plexiglass did you use?

[This message has been edited by maknfckaos (edited 11-08-2001).]
 #26 
Old 2001-11-08, 15:44
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

The blade is 3 and 3/4 inches long in total and the handles are exactly four inches. The plexiglass is 1/8 inch thickness.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #27 
Old 2001-11-09, 03:47
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

zero Im guessing you bought the bulk of your collection on QVC I say this because of the multiple small knifes of the same make.
 #28 
Old 2001-11-09, 17:13
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

No, I buy them all in person at various shops. Some of them are all the same brand, I will grant you that. I have an affinity for Fury brand knives because they are inexpensive and usually of much higer quality than the rest of the Chinese import dregs. At least five of my folders are Furies, as well as several of the fixed blades and most of the throwing knives.

What I am stumped on is who makes the brass sheathed knives you see in the middle. I buy them at the local farmer's market for a song, and they're nice knives, but they bear no maker's mark. The packaging is equally as cryptic. I've seen them around and various stores before and I know the line is fairly widespread, so does anyone know?

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #29 
Old 2001-11-13, 02:40
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

there fairly nice but the grips are impracticle and the blades stain easily.

I have perhaps the only good pakistani knife in existance. Its a folder with an anler or bone handle, brass body, high quality 3.75" steel blade. Its handle heavy so you can open it with a flick of the wrist holding onto the blade. Best part is the mechanism is solid, when it locks in place it doesnt have the hint of a wobble.
 #30 
Old 2001-11-13, 22:41
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

I have some nice Pakistani fixed-blades, but only one folder. That one folder has turned me off of Pakistani folding knives for good, more than likely. At least it only cost me a dollar.

I've found that the brass knives' blades do rust a little, but a good refinishing and a little oil solves that problem. I've yet to break or bend one, and I use two of them as general purpose knives when I get bored of using my spring folder. They also hold a very good edge, even with those brass sheaths scraping against it when you draw the knife carelessly. Of course, the first thing to go an all of those knives was that irritating locking mechanism...

I've never actually bought a knife from QVC, but I've been toying with the idea of picking up one of their 200 knife sets or somesuch and peddling the extras off for a profit. The only reason I haven't is that I don't trust QVC in the least, especially watching the way they try to trick people into buying their computers.

~Zero the Inestimable

------------------
{ DgZ | Forum | Email | Roms }
 #31 
Old 2001-12-28, 21:10
smokey smokey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

very good work!i'm sure you will be sourght after by the towel heads for trade negotiations.
 #32 
Old 2001-12-29, 05:17
TheOneWhoCallsHimselfBob TheOneWhoCallsHimselfBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

Damn smokey you stole that post right ought from under me.
 #33 
Old 2001-12-30, 01:34
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

yeah thats general why I dont buy them zero. the machanism and the tasle; when Im looking for a knife I dont like to buy whores trinkets. I bought one It rust and dulled fairly quickly.
 #34 
Old 2002-01-06, 06:05
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

That is one cool knife there Zero, make a fully functional balisong that is not detectable by metal detectors with a handle latch and I will be very highly impressed.

I don't know if it could be made out of plexiglass unless you forged a round piece for the handles by pouring a mold. That butterfly action might be pretty hard to get w/ plexiglass.
 #35 
Old 2002-01-13, 14:21
Moderator
 
East end
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

dude...that knife is the dog's bollocks!!! (i.e. excellent).
but why carry a knife?
every cunt around here carries a knife so i do the next best thing...i carry a hatchet!!!

watch the fucker pull out a knife with a facial look of superiority but watch their faces drop like a sack of shit when i pull this hatchet out!!!

if you do do this...always carry it under a long jacket or coat!
 #36 
Old 2002-01-13, 21:30
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

A hatchet? That's certainly original.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #37 
Old 2002-01-13, 22:46
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

You could fuck someone up if you were proficient with it.

Throw it and nail em' from like 10 feet also.
 #38 
Old 2002-01-14, 06:54
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

just carrie a bat or a maglight, depending on your local laws they aren't considered offensive weapons.
 #39 
Old 2002-01-21, 22:54
Regular
 
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Default Re: My knife is weirder than yours.

aye, a nice big fat 6 D cell maglite.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics