|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2001-10-14, 14:44
|
mani 
Regular
|
|
|
|
About the caliber of weapons
Is someone able to tell me what caliber means? Is that the diameter of the drill of the weapon or the diameter of the ammunition?
What does .45 .22 .38 .... mean? (How works the conversion to mm?)
|
|
#2
 2001-10-15, 06:19
|
gun-nut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
1 inch is equal to 2.5 cm to convert inc to mm use the measurement in inc x 25 will get you the measurement in mm
|
|
#3
 2001-10-15, 06:45
|
dark sky 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
1 inch is = to 2.54cm *not 2.5
------------------ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, USE IT.
|
|
#4
 2001-10-15, 08:18
|
Alan Smithee 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
calibre = X/100th of an inch. IE a fifty calibre is half an inch I believe it refers to the ammunition.
gauge is what you need to multiply to the weight of the shot to get a pound. IE a 12 gauge weighs a little more than an ounce and a twenty gauge is a little less.
|
|
#5
 2001-10-15, 10:00
|
braveheart98 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
There is a difference between the caliber of a bullet and the caliber of a firearm...
For example the 40 S&W and the 10mm may share the same bullet diameter of .40. But the over all case length is different, Thus making it a different caliber. Or lets us the 45 cal bullet. Multiple weapons share the same bullet diameter. But they may be chambered in 45 Colt, 45 acp or even or even the 45-70 rifle. The cartridge length, width and shape all has a bearing on what the caliber of the firearm actually is...
|
|
#6
 2001-10-15, 11:33
|
mani 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Thanx breaveheart!
You are the first and only of all totse guys who is able to tell me these facts.
|
|
#7
 2001-10-16, 06:24
|
Alan Smithee 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
cartridge length does not dertermine calibre. for instance the .38 S special has a longer cartridge than other bullets of the same calibre. Im pretty sure that The calibre refers to the barrel diameter the root of the word being bore.
[This message has been edited by Alan Smithee (edited 10-16-2001).]
|
|
#8
 2001-10-16, 06:56
|
dark sky 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
braveheart what did they teach you in pre-school the length of the shell or round makes no difference to the caliber. caliber is the diameter of the projectile or barrel and it doesn't really matter what one it is because some barrels wear just by using the action. who really gives a fuck what caliber means its insignificant, all you need to know is what caliber you want. and caliber doesn't have to refer to just .50 .223 and all that 10 mm is also a caliber or do you want to have a pissing contest over classic caliber's now. if its really that important to you y don't you do five min's of homework for yourself and call a gun smith, then you know how your speaking to and what qualifications they have.
------------------ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, USE IT.
|
|
#9
 2001-10-16, 09:23
|
braveheart98 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
So when you go to buy bullets do you ask for the bullet size or the caliber? All my firearms have the caliber printed on the side. It doesn't say no dam decimal equivalent it states the actual caliber. 44 Magnum, 38 Special, 40 S&W, ETC. It apparent that that somebody really gives a fuck or you wouldn't have wrote. As for you point about 10mm I stated that it was a caliber. Get your head out of your ass and reread my posting. Do you fucking homework also. Or didn't they teach you how to read? I was just making a point that there is a difference in bullets. As Alan mention the case difference in the 38 Special. A 357 mag can fire this round. But a 38 Special can't shot a 357 Magnum. For a person coming to a board trying to learn something about firearms they should know that there is a difference between gun even if it has the same size bullet diameter . If you want to have a pissing contest I would have to decline the offer... I'm sure you would win since you probable drink a gallon of it each day. Or should I convert that to fucking Liters for you FUCKSTICK.
|
|
#10
 2001-10-16, 11:41
|
dark sky 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Ok Bravearsehole I was only referring to your shit about the length of the shell ill agree with you on a few other things the reason I gave a decimal equivalent was in-case someone decided they wanted to screw with a pipe gun. I never said any thing about 10 mm to you or did I? fuck knows. as for doing my homework you can get fucked coz I'm from a family that has state, national and international winners so DO NOT TELL ME TO DO MY FUCKING HOME WORK. I have been on the range since my dad reached fucking puberty. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with your kind in the shop that's right shop, my family runs a fucking gun shop. so you go play with your little toys and ill take your eye out at 2 Km, sound good, yeah thought so. or do i have to convert that to miles 4 U, I work in either
------------------ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, USE IT.
[This message has been edited by dark sky (edited 10-16-2001).]
|
|
#11
 2001-10-16, 13:41
|
braveheart98 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
quote: Originally posted by dark sky: 10 mm is also a caliber or do you want to have a pissing contest over classic caliber's now.
quote: Originally posted by dark sky: I'm from a family that has state, national and international winners so DO NOT TELL ME TO DO MY FUCKING HOME WORK. I have been on the range since my dad reached fucking puberty.
What don't you remember what you type or proofread? What's this quote also "I have been on the range since my dad reached fucking puberty" When did your father have you? Sounds like you have been sucking a little to much sewer gas out of manholes. It's pretty easy to hide behind a computer screen and tell people whatever you want. But to be able to back it is another story...  If your pubescent father does own a gun shop and he orders a firearm how does ho do that? By bullet diameter or caliber? For instance take a look at the Remington BDL bolt action rifle. http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700bdl.htm On the model specification chart the first thing it states is the caliber. This model is sold in three 22 caliber models. The difference between these calibers is the cartridges case. But you would know this if your family owns a gun shop. Nor you wouldn't have wrote a message stating that the length of the shell or round makes no difference to the caliber. People can be mistaken or unfamiluar with a topic. You don't need to jump down there throat telling them they are wrong. When actually it's you that is... 
|
|
#12
 2001-10-16, 15:07
|
dark sky 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
were are you getting your bullshit info from, about 3 .22 caliber's I see the site but all I c is three completely different guns a .222, .22-250 and .223 these are all completely different rifles not just the shell's. .222, .223 and 22 - 250 have different diameters on the shells and if I rember right the 22-250 is a bigger projectile (diameter) (problly rong about that. id love to see you fit any one of these shells into the others it just don't work. were do you live maybe ill mail you and tell you to come into my shop some time (what one). as for the my dad comment he was shooting since he was 12 working on properties and shooting on club days. but did I say my father run the shop I said family you say I don't read my posts look who's talking. just coz your asking for it you remind me Adolph Hitler too, always arguing with any one who doesn't node their head and smile politely to you. *Sick of arguing over a worthless topic. Dont give a fuck any more, so gives you the win but still mail me were you are and mayby you can come into the shop one day and we can split a few more hairs.
------------------ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, USE IT.
|
|
#13
 2001-10-17, 13:00
|
mani 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Hey guys! Keep cool!
You both know pretty much about weapons. So dont waste your time on virtual fights.
Thanks to all!
|
|
#14
 2001-10-19, 07:31
|
Lu Bu 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
10mm is not a calibre, it's a bore diameter, get your shit straight you fucking idiots.
------------------ Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
|
|
#15
 2001-10-20, 08:32
|
braveheart98 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
quote: Originally posted by Lu Bu: 10mm is not a calibre, it's a bore diameter, get your shit straight you fucking idiots.
http://www.glock.com/10.htm http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html Here you go genius.
|
|
#16
 2001-10-20, 09:05
|
dark sky 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Thank you braveheart98. I was waiting for you to jump down his throat but yeah that'll do.
|
|
#17
 2001-10-21, 14:49
|
Lu Bu 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
That doesn't make me look any less knowledgeable, rofl, jesus if you're going to flame me do it right. 10mm -is- a bore diameter, not a calibre. A calibre would be .22, .30, .38, .45, etc. 10mm is a bore diameter, which means the diameter of the barrel of the gun firing the 10mm cartridge is 10mm. You notice why any of the intelligent people didn't flame me? I think once you guys have actually handled a few guns you'll get the idea.
------------------ Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
|
|
#18
 2001-10-22, 00:07
|
dark sky 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Did it ever occur to you that baveheart and myself seem to b the only knowledgeable ones in here you notice NO ONE came along and corrected either of us in the little disagreement we had above. and I think it is also fair to say we know our fucking guns and we know the difference between a bore diameter and a caliber. so tell me do you think a 9 mm is also a bore diameter? and I don't think anyone said you were stupid coz I know that wasn't what I was referring to. and I don't even think braveheart was flaming you at all (don't know for sure, but yeah) he was simply correcting you. but hell I'm not a mind reader I just thought id give you some more stuff to read.
------------------ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, USE IT.
|
|
#19
 2001-10-23, 01:44
|
Lu Bu 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
9mm is a bore diameter, #mm=bore diameter, .##=Calibre. The calibre for 9mm is .355. Bore Diameter: Measured in millimeters, Calibre: Measured in inches. I know my guns, look it up somewhere.
------------------ Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
|
|
#20
 2001-10-23, 11:39
|
dark sky 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
9 mm is a caliber they brought it out after the change over from imperial to metric that's why its 9 mm not a .355 or what ever you said. and I'm sick a this shit why the fuck am I still arguing about the caliber and that shit. MIGHT have something to do with the fact that I know my guns to or then again it might have something to do with me just wanting to post a bit more useless information. which leads me to your signature, is that what they said to you, or haven't you reached puberty yet? You don't have to answer that coz I'm not going to post again in this topic.
------------------ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, USE IT.
|
|
#21
 2001-10-23, 19:00
|
Lu Bu 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Sky, that was another pitiful attempt at a flame towards someone vastly more intelligent than you. Let's take a look at the Military's statistics on the Beretta M9 9mm, shall we? Primary function: Semiautomatic pistol Builder: Beretta and Beretta USA Length: 8.54 inches (21.69 centimeters) Width: 1.50 inches (3.81 centimeters) Height: 5.51 inches (14 centimeters) Barrel length: 4.92 inches (12.5 centimeters) Weight fully loaded: 2.55 pounds (1.16 kilograms) Bore diameter: 9mm (approximately .355 inches) Maximum effective range: 152.5 feet (50 meters) Magazine capacity: 15 rounds Muzzle velocity: 1200 feet (365 meters) per second Unit Replacement Cost: $263 Marine Corps Inventory: 82,000 You going to argue with the government's statistics, too?
------------------ Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
[This message has been edited by Lu Bu (edited 10-23-2001).]
|
|
#22
 2001-10-23, 19:07
|
Shruiken 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
i dont have a clue what any of you are talking about all i know is that you point a gun at someone (or something if ur stupid) and pull the trigger
------------------ bad is good
|
|
#23
 2001-10-23, 22:09
|
elvis500 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Anybody know whats the difference between "semi automatic" and "double action" ???
|
|
#24
 2001-10-24, 04:02
|
elvis500 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
comm on! please help me!
Another question: What would a Walther PKK approximate cost? I like this gun because its so small and you can carry it easily. I must own this gun!
|
|
#25
 2001-10-24, 06:25
|
Lu Bu 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
It's Walther PPK, not PKK. And it's too expensive for what it's really worth, buy a Beretta 950 .25 instead.
------------------ Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
|
|
#26
 2001-10-24, 15:38
|
elvis500 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Thanks but that was not my question ....
can anybody tell me whats the difference between a semi automatik and a double action pistol?? Which ammo does fit a Walther PPK with caliber .380 ?
|
|
#27
 2001-10-24, 21:05
|
Lu Bu 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
Semiautomatic is single action, you pull the trigger, and the hammer goes back and forward in a pull of the trigger. Double action, you pull back the hammer, then the trigger. .380 is a type of 9mm if I remember correctly, 9x19mm is .355. It might be 9x39mm, not sure, ask a gun dealer.
------------------ Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
|
|
#28
 2001-10-25, 22:24
|
braveheart98 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
You got your action switched around there Lu Bu. A single action requires you to cock the hammer them squeeze the trigger. Such as the Ruger Blackhawks or Colt Single Action Army. While on the other hand a double action can be fired just by squeezing the trigger or by manually cocking the hammer like a single action. Like the classic S&W model 29 or Ruger Redhawk. These are all revolvers I mentioned, but the same goes for semiauto pistols. Some double action pistols have exposed hammers that can be cocked (Ruger P89, while others don't(Like the Glock's or Ruger KP95DAO). But it still makes it a double action because there is no need to cock the hammer to fire. A single action semiauto pistol requires the hammer to be cocked before it can be fired. I can see how you can get these mixed up. When a person as yourself only experience with firearms is what you see on TV or the movies they don't really explain that to you. A little food for thought the pistols in the old cowboy movies were only six shooters. They really couldn't fire hundreds of times with out loading. I just thought I'd clarify that for you too. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/hgpages/kp95dao.html As you can see by this firearm no exposed hammer but it's a double action only. Please get your shit straight. 
|
|
#29
 2001-10-26, 05:43
|
Lu Bu 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
rofl, again, another pitiful attempt at a flame. "It's easy to get mixed up when all you've seen is stuff on tv". One, I took 6 1500mg vicodins about three hours before I posted that. Two, I drank a 1/4th of a bottle of Fire Water at roughly the same time as I took the pills. Three, I hadn't slept for two days. You sit and try to flame someone for accidentally mixing up two things while they're so fucked up they probably couldn't tell the difference between the sky and the ground, and then hope you look intelligent. Jesus, you moron. Try and flame me when it's obvious I don't know what I'm talking about and make it look decent, then maybe I'll give you some credit.
------------------ Your kid might be an honor student, but you're a dumbass.
|
|
#30
 2001-10-26, 19:22
|
pballer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
that was the most pathetic excuse i've ever seen
|
|
#31
 2001-11-05, 15:27
|
prost8 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: About the caliber of weapons
hahahaha! This has got to be the funniest thread i've ever read. Read back over that all and take a look at u'rselves... For fucks sake, lighten up ppl! but very very entertaining...
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|