About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-05-05, 06:16
Fixit Fixit is offline
Regular
 
Default In the market for a handgun

I'm doing some research on getting another handgun. My tastes run more toward the small ammunition, .38 or 9mm. I already own a modified Rueger 10/22, my favorite target shooter, and a S&W .38 special which is just fun to blast.

The S&W is nice and all, but I think I'm looking for something a little more serious for a handgun. Semi-auto, at least 8 rounds, smooth recoil, highly accurate.

Right now I'm leaning toward the new Walther P99 9mm. Anyone have any experience with it? Thoughts/comments/suggestions?
 #2 
Old 2001-05-05, 06:48
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

I wanna shoot yer rifle..
 #3 
Old 2001-05-05, 08:23
Dark_Destiny Dark_Destiny is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

Get a .45 119A1 or a dessert eagle if you wanna be serious about a lethal handgun.
 #4 
Old 2001-05-05, 10:17
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

just incase a syrian tank wanders into your livingroom.

A browning 1911 might be good, or a baretta if you have the money.
 #5 
Old 2001-05-05, 12:28
mike_e_clarke mike_e_clarke is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

A TEC-DC9 or TEC-9, if you wanna be illegal, would be nice.
I'm not exactly sure on the specs, but i've heard of 20 some shot clips.
Although the TEC-9s have gritty trigger action, and dont aim worth shit...
How can you go wrong with a semi-auto (or fully with kit, obviously) that holds 20 some bullets?

On an unrelated topic, adressed to anyone a friend of mine owns an AK-47 assault rifle. They kick ass!!! If you like rifles, you should get one. His cost CDN$150.

------------------
- - ciao, Mark
 #6 
Old 2001-05-06, 01:51
m1066ad m1066ad is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

Walthers are great. I like the PPK, in >32 cal. ...no, it's not a testosterone-laden car-killer, but it's light, compact, and very accurate, for a pistol. Of course, you can't go wrong, with a colt.
 #7 
Old 2001-05-06, 10:35
Fixit Fixit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

To clarify:

I am *not* looking for something massive, illegal, incredibly lethal or just plain "c00l".

I want a light-duty, accurate, concealable semi-automatic handgun. I've looked at the Glock and the Beretta, neither really impressed me. Anyone know some decent relatively similar genre pieces?

Spiffy, the thought of you with a gun somehow frightens me. How about this weekend? =D
 #8 
Old 2001-05-06, 16:44
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

Hmm.. sounds cool.. but after I pay my car insurance, I'll have $11 in the bank..
 #9 
Old 2001-05-06, 19:37
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

you cant go wrong with a berreta 92fs my family has one and they are great.it is very acurate and handles exceptionaly well with one hand.there are also many preban hicap mags available for this gun.just make sure you handle it before buying because if you have small hands you will have trouble hitting the mag release
 #10 
Old 2001-05-06, 23:39
Dark_Destiny Dark_Destiny is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

I dotn really know about the specs on the browing but I'm pretty sure the barret 50.cal could do than and ten times more, I heard it can go through a van engine and then through a man standing behind it.
 #11 
Old 2001-05-07, 03:45
jvclukeyii jvclukeyii is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

You might look into the Sig Line of pistols. The Sig226 is a 9mm pistol that is accurate, reasonable lightweight, and now has a standard 10 round mag. It is still possible to get some of the old 15 round mags also.
 #12 
Old 2001-05-08, 07:41
theshadow theshadow is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

for a serious pistol go for a h&k .45 compact small & light extremley accurate with etreme realiablity and very easy to conceal they are top self shooters with double action or single action they are the best
 #13 
Old 2001-05-08, 09:08
Spiffy McBang Spiffy McBang is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

Top self shooters, eh? I'll remember that if I ever get suicidal..
 #14 
Old 2001-05-26, 00:57
MaximStuff MaximStuff is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

I'm going to have to go with JVC on this one. I like the Sig line in the Berretta's. They're easy to work on, lightweight and durable. Not to mention small, but as you do not have small hands, maybe you should just get me one. I want a Sauger.

------------------
So there.
 #15 
Old 2001-05-28, 05:03
Darkrider Darkrider is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

Definately go for the P99. Top weapon, 17 rounds and German made.
 #16 
Old 2001-06-02, 16:39
Aceman1126 Aceman1126 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

A glock 17 or the H&K USP .45 (they both rule)
 #17 
Old 2001-06-04, 10:31
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

H&K G3? I like that one safety in the grip.
 #18 
Old 2001-06-06, 23:52
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

Get a 9mm Luger, or a .45. Even though it was designed in the early 20th century it is still one of the most acclaimed and copied designs in history. And they're accurate as hell.


------------------
Duct Tape, it binds the world together.
 #19 
Old 2001-06-06, 23:53
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape20
Get a 9mm Luger, or a .45. Even though it was designed in the early 20th century it is still one of the most acclaimed and copied designs in history. And they're accurate as hell.


------------------
Duct Tape, it binds the world together.
 #20 
Old 2001-06-07, 07:36
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

The luger 45 was produced recently or is only going to be produced in the near future. Circa 1997 The only 45 caliber luger in existance was a prototype made for US army consideration Before the adoption of The browning modle 1911 although it was planned for the consumer market I beleive world war one broke out first.
 #21 
Old 2001-06-14, 09:59
polos polos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

this might be a bit late but anyway:

one of the finest hanguns i know is the steyr GB, it might be a bit large but nothing shoots like it. another good gun is the browning FN high power, you cant go wrong with that. watch out for cheap copies.
i dont like the walther p99, although i am a major walther fan, the trigger is all funny, and i rate its quite dorky. a good choice i think would be the steyr M9. it really feels good in the hand and i think you cant go wrong there. i dont like the glock, infact i despise the glock, theres nothing really wrong with it, but dammit, its o v e r r a t e d!!!. but i think the biggest question here is how much are you prepared to invest.
still today the cz 75 is quite a good handgun, nothing special but hey. there are quite a few CZ's to choose from nowadays.

its all a question of how much
 #22 
Old 2001-06-20, 09:39
stfudkhd stfudkhd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

you wont find a good response here, go to a proper forum for guns.
www.thefiringline.com works i think

 #23 
Old 2001-06-22, 07:11
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: In the market for a handgun

If you want a nice pistol but dont want to spend alot a smith & wesson .38 police special is about $250.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics