About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-30, 15:42
Edorion Edorion is offline
Regular
 
Default Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

Are methanol and denatured alcohol the same as far as the role they play in senthesis. What I'm actually asking is can denatured alcohol be substituted for methanol when extracting ephedrine from pills?
 #2 
Old 2002-12-30, 17:50
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

Yes but the alcohol extractions dont work anymore, you will get PEGed.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-30, 17:51
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

Denatured Alcohol is only ethyl alcohol that has additives so people dont drink it. That is why you dont have to pay any grain alcohol taxes when you buy it.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-30, 19:39
Edorion Edorion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

You can't dissolve the E in H2O then wash with Denatured Alcohol? If not then how would you suggest getting the E from the pills?
 #5 
Old 2002-12-30, 19:43
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

No water would not work. PEG forms around the psuedo molecule so it gets very tough. If one was dreaming of making chili the best route would be to extract as freebase and use the freebase in the RXN. If you just gas freebase psuedo it will still be PEGed. Post RXN gassing is the only way to go.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:01
Edorion Edorion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

Unfortunately, I need a lot of clarification on that last post. On another post I asked what's the difference between freebase and HCL salt. So, how do I extract as a freebase? To be sure we're on the same page, I've dreamt of using the rp push/pull method. Does the 'gassing' you're talking about apply here. If so please clarify post rxn gassing as opposed to gassing the freebase.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:04
Edorion Edorion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

the creator, would you also please reply to my other posts: Ephedrine from diet powder, ephedrine to meth ratio, and decolored iodine. I would appreciate it. Thanks.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:09
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

FreeBase is missing the Hcl. By gassing I mean bubbling hydrogen chloride gas through the non polar which is holding the product you want to gas. What I mean by post RXN is after the oxygen molecule has been stripped from the psuedo and it is meth freebase in a Non polar solvent, and not psuedo freebase in a nonpolar. I will get the other posts after work for now I have to run.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:10
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

sorry I didnt answer your other question but I will later tonight.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:13
Edorion Edorion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Methanol and Denatured Alcohol?

Thanks, I'll check back in later tonight.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics