About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-16, 20:19
localgh0st localgh0st is offline
Regular
 
Default li/aqua ammonia?

From http://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/birch.mrclean.html :

"Why can't I just use aqua ammonia? Li will reduce pseudo in the presence of H20.

(Answer provided by Osmium)
Li + H2O -------> LiOH + 0.5 H2
Li [6g/mol]
H2O [18g/mol]
For every gram of H2O present you need at least 0.33g Li.
So what if I used 1l of 30% NH3? Cool, only about 250g of Li needed to dry it! And don't forget the liquid N2 to cool this bomb... "

I've got two questions:
1. Is it possible to use 30% ammonia for small batches(4g or so).
2. I heard that a push/pull won't work with pfed sulfate, why?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics