About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-17, 01:54
deadkennedy deadkennedy is offline
Regular
 
Default pure sodium

if i have like 1 cup of table salt and i am putting electricity into it how much voltage should I put in and how much chlorine will come out? how long do i electrify the thing? How can i take a precaution to not get killed by the chlorine.
 #2 
Old 2002-11-17, 02:59
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: pure sodium

You are never going to get sodium that way. You need temperatures of 800 C an inert atmosphere, and very high currents on the order of 50-100A at 12V.

Edit: You need molten salt!

[This message has been edited by tryptamine (edited 11-17-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-11-20, 19:21
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: pure sodium

You need molten NaOH, much easier. Melts at a much lower temperature.
 #4 
Old 2002-11-20, 20:52
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: pure sodium

I've done the molten NaOH thing in my lab. I just thought I'd give it a whirl, so I threw it together and it worked. I got a small lump of sodium the size of a grain of rissoto. If I want some more I'm going to build an apparatus that prevents the molten alkali from splattering all over the place, it was all over me my face everywhere. It was like it was volatile.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-21, 00:32
SSP SSP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: pure sodium

So curious, I know that when you buy one of those IAs, they come in kerosene or some other inert organic thing. How did you get the pure Na to collect in the kerosene?
Especially, since the reaction is so hot, I would think that just as the reaction occured, it would turn into a peroxide. Tell me why I'm wrong.
 #6 
Old 2002-11-21, 03:01
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: pure sodium

Why do you think the sodium would oxidise at this temperature? Sure a little oxidation takes place but not really that much.

First the sodium is scooped out of the molten lye and then you submerge it in the petroleum.

The temperatures we are dealing with are only around 300C.

Don't fuck with molten lye unless you know what you are doing and or you already have scars from previous experiments.

[This message has been edited by tryptamine (edited 11-21-2002).]
 #7 
Old 2002-11-21, 20:56
SSP SSP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: pure sodium

Haha, I win, I see you deleted your peroxide post.
Word.
 #8 
Old 2002-11-22, 00:20
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: pure sodium

Yeah it was a brain fart, but still what I said this time stands.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics