|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-26, 23:54
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
dessicants
How much water will epsom salts absorb if dried properly? An accquaintance of mine has had a debt repaid with a very large and odiferous plant, due to a quirk of airflow in the apartment, any smells produced therin flow directly to the hallway and lobby, so simply hanging it out to dry is out of the question.
I had an inspired idea (inspired by the fact I am out of plant), to hang it upside down in a bag containing a dessicating agent in the bottom. The plant weighs 2.4 lb @ %85 water, therefore approx 1.3 pints of water must be removed. I anticipate several dryings of the epsom salts, which brings my secon question. Will epsom salts absorb volatile terpines as well? ( I envisage a horrendous odour emanating from my oven as I re-dry the epsom salts) I am thinking of throwing in any other dessicants I can find. Does coarse salt have to be in contact with plant matter to dry it? Can I find silica dessicant in bulk anywhere? Any adivice or alternatives would be appreciated.
|
|
#2
 2002-10-27, 01:11
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: dessicants
Magnesium sulphate will absorb (.15-.75)g of water for every 1g of salt. It depends on how dry it is, you need to heat t ored heat to get rid of that last molecule of crystalization water. No it doesn't need to be in contact with the goods just in the same sealed container.
Silca gel absorbs 0.2g of H2O per g of dessicant and you can buy a large tub the size of a pail of ice cream (6lbs) at a hobby store for 20CAD (you are in Van this should be easy to find). It is used for drying flowers. It has little blue crystals of cobalt chloride that turn black when the silca is spent.
Later
|
|
#3
 2002-10-27, 01:14
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: dessicants
Oh and yeah the smell will probably get into the salt, not too bad as it doesn't absorb it preferentially just by diffusion.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-27, 05:04
|
culinaryoverlord 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: dessicants
Much thanks, I'll let you know how it goes, seems like being able to dry down without smell would be a worthwhile piece of info for people who grow outdoors and have to dry down in a smell sensitive environment.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|