|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-04-21, 02:50
|
RipSlider 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
I know it's a long shot, but my missus is stuck in the middle of her Ph.D. She needs to find someone who can help with:
Sulfer Chemistry ( Why can't we spell it PH anymore... bastard french)
Colloids ( size measurement approches)
Micelles.
If you or anyone you know is at that kinda level, in this field, plese post with a way she can contact you.
Ta very much.
RipSlider.
|
|
#2
 2002-04-23, 15:21
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Hell, I'm sure one of the Wizards in here can oblige you. And I agree! Sulpher not sulfer! Fuck the French! Fuckin' Frogs!! lol! My wine is better than yours!(French)
|
|
#3
 2002-04-23, 15:28
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Well I know a bit about sulphur (canadian spelling ha!) chemistry, but your missus is working at the PhD level so I doubt I could help her. And colloids and micelles are physical properties of suspensions. What exactly is her thesis or research project?
Why hasn't she looked into resources at her institution? Pardon me for saying but something sounds fishy here.
|
|
#4
 2002-04-24, 23:10
|
RipSlider 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Project title is " Thiolated Cyclodextrin with Di-sulfide bridge constructions templated on Gold Nano-particles"
She gets 200 molucles of gold. She then wraps cyclodextrins around then and cross links the cyclodextrin with di-sulphide bridges. The gold is then pulled out, and she is left with nano-sized hollowparticles. These can be filled with any type of drug, and set to disolve anywhere in the body, or only when a poison is detected etc.
No idea why she wants the micelles or colloids, she's the genius at chemistry. She's just pissed off with it at the moment, as she's in a lab full of atmospheric chemists, and she wants someone to e-mail or chat to about her own topic.
RipSlider.
|
|
#5
 2002-05-05, 17:14
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Impressive, I like that. I've got a bunch of questions I'd like to ask. What kind of drugs fit into the pockets formed, they can't be too large, what are the advantages of this over molecular seives. Any thoughts to using this to capture specific molecules rather than releasing them (of course this would require some major structure tweaking more possible with proteins rather than restrictive structures like this) Overall sounds interresting, sorta in my area.
|
|
#6
 2002-05-06, 22:35
|
RipSlider 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Right, I know what I'm talking about, Kinda, becuase we discuss it a lot, and I'm racing to catch up on my super molecular and Physical chemistry ( see other posts in this section)
Pretty much any drug will go inside the nano-particles, becuase they're templated around 200-210 moulclues of gold alloy ( I forget which one at the mo ) Advantages are that the particles can be made to only disolve at a specific place in the body, e.g at a cancer tract in the small intestine, by adding chains that will split the cross links when it comes across the protiens generated by a specific cancer. Or They can be given to a patient at a point in time, but they'll sit in the body until a specific chemical appers in the blood, say a posion. Another thing thay;ll be able to do is inject a cross link spliting chemicla into say, the arm, near a break, and then fill the nano particles with a strong pain killer. The pain will be killed at that specific point, but will mean low doses of strong drugs can be given, hopefully stopping addiction.
There's still a lot of work to do: She's just found out that they're insoluble in solvents she, and her proffesor, expected them to be solvent in, so they know they don't understand the chemistry fully yet, and NMR readings show cross links that shouldn't be able to occur, but keep on happening.
RipSlider.
|
|
#7
 2002-05-07, 23:22
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Excelllent! Yes something like this would be extremely time consuming to perfect. I never thought about the trigger release property that is obviously the main goal of this research. I'm keen to hear more developements. What University is this work being done at?
I'll probably read about this in a medical journal in the near future.
later.
|
|
#8
 2002-05-11, 23:47
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
I will now demonstrate how little I know about her subject. I know there was some research on Buckmeister Fullerines (Bucky Balls) a few years ago. Any relavance?
Nox
|
|
#9
 2002-05-12, 20:56
|
RipSlider 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Only in that it gives you an idea of whats happening. Bucky balls are are the natural state of Carbon 60. They're tiny little round spheres. The missus makes little shperes out of gold mucuclues, then wraps cyclodextrin ( sugar, kinda) aronnd them like candy floss. Then she makes the molucles of gold separte, and she's left with a hollow ball. By addinding different stuff to the outside of the candy floss ball, she can make it disolve when ever she wants.
RipSlider.
|
|
#10
 2002-05-12, 22:54
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Any you people know about Di-sulfide bridges, or colloids.
Thanks for the information. That sounds high-tech. I'm impressed.
Nox
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|