About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-03-22, 07:36
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default hydrofluoric acid

Where could one obtain hydrofluoric acid.
 #2 
Old 2002-03-22, 16:16
acidmelt acidmelt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

OMG! you wanna know the craziest thing? I just found this CRAZY site called 'yahoo', and it lets you type in things and then it searches for them. And it does all of this for FREE! WOW! search engines... what a crazy idea! SO anyhow what i did was go there and type in your hydroflouric acid and lo and behold... it came up with about a thousand results. maybe you should try it sometime.
http://www.tanfac.com/ -- they sell what you want.
 #3 
Old 2002-03-22, 20:09
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

Be careful with HF. Esp. since if you get conc. stuff on you for long periods of time it can affect your bone marrow. Why do you want it anyway? Flourine bonds the tightest of all halogens and will not be broken as easily.
 #4 
Old 2002-03-22, 23:28
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

Yeah, IIRC, it's the most corrosive of the acids; kinda makes 'ol sulphuric look like orange juice.
 #5 
Old 2002-03-24, 16:16
MysteriousEnigma MysteriousEnigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

You could mix it with NaCl solution to get hydrochloric acid -:

HF + NaCl ---> NaF + HCL

 #6 
Old 2002-03-24, 19:55
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

LOL why the fuck would anyone use HF to make cheap abundant HCl?

Stay the fuck away from HF, if splashed on you it will work it's way to the calcium in your bones and melt them. It has killed in greusome fashion many techs working woth it. Unless you have calcium gluconate solution to neutralize it on hand don't even consider playing with it.

I didn't respect chemicals until I did something stupid, I've got some wicked scars on my arm where acid removed some of my skin, bee careful out there.
 #7 
Old 2002-03-25, 21:17
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

quote:
Originally posted by tryptamine:
LOL I didn't respect chemicals until I did something stupid, I've got some wicked scars on my arm where acid removed some of my skin, bee careful out there.


Same here, though I don't have scars [I did have totally brown/black hands for a week by being sloppy with some Silver Nitrate once]. The only good thing I can think of that can be said about being young and stupid is 'It's good to be young and stupid, and yet live through it'.
 #8 
Old 2002-03-25, 22:19
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

I am far from young and stupid. I am currently majoring in chemistry so I am aware of the risks. But thanks for the info everybody.
 #9 
Old 2002-03-26, 00:34
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

Right on, I'm a chem major as well, the thing you won't learn in classes or the lab is which chems you can get away with being sloppy with and which chems will kill you if you spill some on your lap (like HF) We are just warning you, like I said lab techs have been killed by this stuff.

I'm lucky I only have a few little scars on my arm, some 100% sulfuric splashed on my face as well but I managed to get under the shower right there.
 #10 
Old 2002-03-26, 00:44
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

It's a good thing you got under the shower that shit can be nasty. Thanks for the warnings though, HF is truly nasty shit. Thanks for the help everybody.
 #11 
Old 2002-03-26, 00:57
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

I am used to school though I decided to go back. I already have an associates degree as a network specialist, but chemistry is my life.
 #12 
Old 2002-04-03, 06:54
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

I've had 73% sulfuric splash into my left eye. I had finished what I was doing and even had the acid put up. I thought I was safe so I took off my eyewear. Well, I threw a funnel I was using to aid in pouring the acid into my sink, and a single drop flew off of it and right into my eye! I've also ruined a lot of clothes this way.

My point is shit always happens when you least expect it, and you never know. So it's important to be extremely carefull at all times and to know exactly what you are working with.

BTW, the eye is fine. I washed it like hell with some of my contact lens re-wetting shit, but it still burned for a good 3-4 hours.
 #13 
Old 2002-04-03, 06:59
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

Also to answer your question, you could go the clandestined route, and do research on the percentages of NaF contained in certain toothpastes. Also research on the ingredients of that toothpaste and how to go about extracting the NaF.

Then treating it with sulfuric to make HF. Just a thought.
 #14 
Old 2002-04-03, 20:19
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hydrofluoric acid

Maybe I will try that, although it still would be dangerous. I would wear a chemical breathing apparatus and such to protect from the fumes. They never let us work with this stuff in college, probably since it is so dangerous. The second you stop respecting it, it will kill you. By the way who owns the chemhead site?

[This message has been edited by the creator (edited 04-03-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics