About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-27, 03:17
Deviant Deviant is offline
Regular
 
Default Sulphur.

My friend was handling a lot of sulphur today and his hands are gone red where it was touching his fingers. Is this just an allergic reaction or if I handle it, will the same happen me?
 #2 
Old 2002-01-29, 04:20
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sulphur.

I dunno. I've handled sulfur before several times with no problem.
 #3 
Old 2002-02-03, 01:57
Deviant Deviant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sulphur.

Ok, thanks for your help.
 #4 
Old 2002-02-04, 00:48
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sulphur.

No, not really, it maybe depends in what form it has been or if it has been mixed, sulphur does infect the skin. (Thats wha6tmy science teacher said), thats why we weren taking it with our hand.
 #5 
Old 2002-02-05, 05:21
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sulphur.

I dunno, maybe my shit was inpure. I have only seen it in large bright yellow rocks. I have handled it, and even sniffed the fumes from lighting a peice and smell that familiar smell.......
 #6 
Old 2002-02-05, 18:53
Deviant Deviant is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sulphur.

I have it in powder and in rocks. I have so much of it that I don't know what to do with it, I don't have enough potassium nitrate or any other chemical to mix with it.
 #7 
Old 2002-02-06, 21:31
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Sulphur.

Take your S and heat it until it becomes molten. Add iron to it to form FeS. Charge a gassing apparatus with the FeS. Make a slurry with I2 and water, and fix the gassing tube so it'll stay submerged in the I2 water. Take it out into the woods on a windy day. Quickly add HCl acid to your FeS to start producing H2S. Close your gassing apparatus and when it starts to bubble through the I2 water, hual ass and don't come back for a few hour. When you come back hopefully everything went smoothely, and you will have FeCl2 left in your gassing apparatus. The gassed solution will no have S at the bottom of it. Filter this out. Distill your resulting solution to obtain your 57% HI.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics