About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-10-28, 20:33
thatpersonthatiam thatpersonthatiam is offline
Regular
 
Default MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

i've heard that the mystercin in nutmeg has a certain amount of MDA. could this be extracted then converted to MDMA?
 #2 
Old 2001-11-02, 12:15
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

you heard wrong
 #3 
Old 2001-11-02, 20:29
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

MDA is totally synthetic, and not found in nature. The closets thing to natural MDA is l-Dopa.

Myristicin is an allylbenzene. It's chemical name is 3,4-methylenedioxy-5-methoxy-1-allylbenzene, or MMDAB (I could be wrong about the 5-methoxy part, cause I can't remember if the methoxy is on the five position or the second, which are the only two except for the 6th, but I hardly ever see substituents on the 6th). Without cleavage of the methoxy group, no MDMA or MDA will result from it. However interesting analogues MMDA and MMDMA can be made.

------------------
Thats just the way it is...
Things will never be the same..
Thats just the way it is.
I see no changes
All I see is racist faces
Misplaced hate brings disgrace to races.-2pac
 #4 
Old 2001-11-05, 07:22
thatpersonthatiam thatpersonthatiam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

yeh ive done alittle looking around and ive found that another name for it is methoxy-safrole. would it be possible to turn this into safrole?
 #5 
Old 2001-11-07, 06:21
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

I'm not sure. I dunno how one would cleave a methoxy group. There must be some type of reversible reaction to where the methyl group would be stripped, leaving an OH group. The OH group can then be halogenated, then stripped off with a grignard, forming safrole.

That would be too much trouble though, when you could just steam distill sassafras root, or some Juniper foliage, and get safrole from that. Juniper I found has a pretty good safrole content, and it's an evergreen too, so it is a good natural safrole source in the winter, when sassafras loses it's leaves and you can't tell it from any other tree trunk.
 #6 
Old 2001-11-29, 19:29
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

Actually, myristicin might be a good, cheap starting material for the 3,4,5-MeO series like mescaline and TMA.

See myristicin is 3,4-MD-5-MeO-allylbenzene. You can definitly cleave the MeO group. An alkyl group connected to an oxygen is called an ether, MeO is an ether. It can be cleaved with AlCl3 to leave an OH group.
But, the methylenedioxy ring is an ether two, it's actually an MeO2 group, so it would get cleaved as well.

However, when all the ethers get cleaved, they leave the OH groups, one on the third and fourth from the MD ring, and one on the 5th from the MeO group. So you would now have 3,4,5-OH-allyl-benzene.

Whenever an OH group is reacted with an alkyl-halide (lets say y-x), the halide reacts with the H in the group to form HX gas. The O would allow the y to cling to form an ether.
So if the alkyl halide methyl bromide (made from NaBr, H2SO4, and methanol) was used, the y would be a methyl group, making MeO groups, and the x would be Br, making HBr gas.
So in short, after you reacted myrsiticin to 3,4,5-OH-AB with AlCl3, you can react it with MeBr to form 3,4,5-trimethoxyallylbenzene, or 3,4,5-MeO-AB. Nitrosation of the regular allylbenzene with NaNO2 and H2SO4 would yeild the nitrostyrene, which upon reduction would yeild mescaline. Or it could be isomerized by the same methods applied to safrole to form asarone, which can be nitrosated to form the nitropropene, which upon reduction produces TMA.

AlCl3 ether cleavage would also be good for making safrole from cheap ass clove oil. Eugenol is 3-OH-4-MeO-allylbenzene. Cleavage of the MeO group forms 3,4-OH-allylbenzene (catechol I believe). Instead of using MeBr to methylate, wich would form 3,4-MeO-allylbenzene, you would use an akyl dihalide. The alkyl group would of course have to be methyl, for METHYLenedioxy, and the halide can be any halide that comes to mind, except flourine. One alkyldihalide that comes to mind suited for this purpose is methylene chloride. It is a methyl group with two chlorines hanging of it. So the two chlorines will react with the 3 and 4 OH groups, forming an ether that is MeO2, or the methylendioxy ring.
 #7 
Old 2001-11-30, 05:24
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

Yeah, go madchemist!
Well nutmeg oil contains some safrol, something around one percent, not even enough for a creepy bastard like me. Transforming mystricin into saf is next to practically impossible, I don't think a grignard will remove an aryl halide, please elaborate. Mystricin can be aminated into MMDA methylenedioxy methoxy methamphetamine.
Eugenol to saf is all theoretical, AlCl3 ether cleavage is too(not sure whether the allyl needs to be protected), but we haves r best people working on it.

It'll be years at this rate of government funding.
 #8 
Old 2001-11-30, 06:00
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

quote:

It'll be years at this rate of government funding.


Very true! It seems most chemistry innovations these days happen on the clandestine front. If only the drug manufacturers of the world callaborated with our governments scientists!

------------------
Thats just the way it is...
Things will never be the same..
Thats just the way it is.
I see no changes
All I see is racist faces
Misplaced hate brings disgrace to races.-2pac
 #9 
Old 2001-11-30, 06:11
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

quote:

Transforming mystricin into saf is next to practically impossible, I don't think a grignard will remove an aryl halide, please elaborate.


It is impossible. That is why I dismissed the idea and turned to the 3,4,5 substitution pattern. You'd somehow have to protect the methylenedioxy ring from cleavage. You wouldn't be able to remethylate it either after ether cleavage. The only use I would see to halogenating the OH and forming organo halides (grignards) is to tack on other groups or even other rings and such, wich could open up to a whole new range of drugs. The ring elaboration may make some of the products legal. If only someone could do a bioassay of such compound. Or we'll never know.

quote:

. Mystricin can be aminated into MMDA methylenedioxy methoxy methamphetamine.


Yes I know this. But here we are looking for a reasonable route to MDA/MDMA.

quote:

Eugenol to saf is all theoretical, AlCl3 ether cleavage is too(not sure whether the allyl needs to be protected), but we haves r best people working on it.


I disagree! There have been a few stories. Are you registered at The Hive?

------------------
Thats just the way it is...
Things will never be the same..
Thats just the way it is.
I see no changes
All I see is racist faces
Misplaced hate brings disgrace to races.-2pac
 #10 
Old 2001-11-30, 06:39
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

Feeling conflictive today are we madchemist?

Yeah I know I know and all that.

The stories are nothing but that, stories.
If someone has done it it would have been posted, sure they might not want their secret to be out but we are talking revolutionary info and fame to boot.

The problem is not really if it is possible though, it is more than likely. It's just a matter of funding and experimenting with those procedures in the theoretical papers. I beleive it hasn't been done cause us chemists have better(selfish) things to do with our money. There is some great research going on in the fields of nitrostyrene reduction and performic epoxidation of a certain propenylbenzene.
If ya know what I mean.
 #11 
Old 2001-11-30, 20:22
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

quote:

The problem is not really if it is possible though, it is more than likely. It's just a matter of funding and experimenting with those procedures in the theoretical papers. I beleive it hasn't been done cause us chemists have better(selfish) things to do with our money. There is some great research going on in the fields of nitrostyrene reduction and performic epoxidation of a certain propenylbenzene.
If ya know what I mean.



EXACTLY!

Keep an eye out in about 4 months. Someone I know is going to DEFINITlY come across a large sum of money do to an accident that happend, I can assure you he will experiment.

------------------
Thats just the way it is...
Things will never be the same..
Thats just the way it is.
I see no changes
All I see is racist faces
Misplaced hate brings disgrace to races.-2pac
 #12 
Old 2001-11-30, 20:46
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: MDMA from Nutmeg? Possibility?

Sounds great my friend! Vive la resistance!!!!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics