About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-04-11, 14:45
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Gamma-butyrolactone

This is for all you PUNKS out there (namely one).
Gamma-butyrolactone can be failry easily synthesized by oxidation of tetrahydrofuran (THF).
I have all of the references if you want them, I have yet to look them up.
 #2 
Old 2001-04-12, 12:08
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Gamma-butyrolactone

Hey man, i'll addmit to being wrong when you prove me wrong. I know that there is shit out there like GBL like GABA and GHB and shit. I'd like to see it cause in a way we are all on the same side here.Oxidation of tetrahydrofuran, huh? is it going to be any less obvious when i go to purchase tetrahydrofuran (THF), what my intent, than if it were GBL, since THF does happen to be an optional main constituent in ketamine?


Oh look what i found-
Tetrahydrofuran is used as a reaction medium for Grignard and metal hydride reactions; in the synthesis of butyrolactone, succinic acid, and 1,4-butanediol diacelate
ya know it said that even before it said that it was used for the fabrication of articles for food packaging, storgage and such and such, and a solvent, and rubber something or other yadda yadda yadda. all that says to me is "Hey, tetrahydrofuran is not something your average 18 year old buys at the chemical warehouse." I'd have a better chance of passing myself off as a transcient and buying GBL for my hyperanxious, native american, space age great grandmother or something.TMF is regulated under the Toxic Substance Control Act of 1976 (TSCA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA), and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA) also known as the "Superfund Act". The superfund act? isn't that the love canal and shit? Crazy. Sounds a lot worse then benzene.

Well why not put the synth up anyway. Chemhead could use it .
 #3 
Old 2001-04-12, 17:36
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Gamma-butyrolactone

You must have been at chemhead. Thats where I found some of my info on this. I was searching through the ol archive.
 #4 
Old 2001-04-13, 20:00
acidmelt acidmelt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Gamma-butyrolactone

actually i got some stuff saying around on gamma. I will try to put it up soon. I just put up your vacuum distillation set-up that you sent me madchem. sorry about taking so long on everything. I also put up your general stuff, and The Cure by Placebo. let me find my gamma stuff....
 #5 
Old 2001-04-15, 03:04
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Gamma-butyrolactone

Actually I meant that he must have been at the Rhodium, not chemhead.
 #6 
Old 2001-04-15, 05:10
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Gamma-butyrolactone

acid- i saw that exact vac distillation rig at http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/lab/4444/ . you might wanna include that boiling point curve at that site i just posted. its kinda crucial although it took me a few mins to decipher after a two bowls of the green stuff.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics